Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2015, 03:50 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

I still dream about my nightmare manager and it's always me getting the short end of the stick! Then I wake up and count my blessings that I no longer have to answer to her in real life!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2015, 04:25 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I never dream about my current career, probably for lack of interest.

My recurring job dreams involve career in my 20's, many moons ago, when I was a radio disc jockey at some of San Francisco's largest radio stations. In radio, the enemy is "dead air", or silence. I always dream whatever music that's playing is getting close to ending and I can't find any music in the control room to play. Had the dream recently but the radio station was much nicer than prior dreams and I was much more calm about failing to find any music to play. Took it as a positive sign of my relationship to reduced performance demands placed on myself by myself.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:30 AM   #43

Coming up on 13 years ER'd, and I STILL have occasional nightmares of work. They always fit the same molds:

I come into work, having been away for a bit, and I can't find my desk. I no longer have an office, I finally find my desk with no chair, shoved in with other people I don't know in some lousy location.

Or,

I am at work, don't have anything to work on at all, am just walking around feeling very very vulnerable.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Never had a college nightmare; can't recall any med school ones because I was so sleep-deprived.

But I just got back from a 1 week vacation and last night I dreamt that I was being sent to a different nursing home to work but I had no ipad notes, no directions, didn't know which patients I was supposed to see. So glad I woke up and am not going back to w*rk until tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Still in the OMY mode. I have a gruesome broad menu of dreams that have a common thread that I am trapped at work forever and I am hopelessly inadequate at my job. Details vary from very realistic to bizarre and surreal. I remember too many of them because my wife wakes me up when I am talking out loud or moving too much. Hope the dreams stop when I pull the trigger.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:36 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

5 months into ER...still not one work related dream (or nightmare).

Surprising? Yes.

Complaining? No.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:28 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Since retirement, Ive had many bad dreams relating back to earlier employment, schools, etc. It usually goes something like I need to do something, to be able to retire, keep my pension, etc. Many of the dreams have been quite vivid, and I can recall the details when I wake up. Spooky.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

This thread is timely. I have been retired just a shade over one year. I never have any dreams of my work...Until last night. I dreamed I stopped into work for something, (in reality I had not been back since I retired), and somehow got put into my old work position the main floor. In the dream I remembered and felt the feeling of being trapped and wanting to escape but could not. It was a feeling of panic. I remember feeling that way at times when I was working. That dream and feeling stuck with me into the morning.

There is no way I could ever work a job again.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
This thread is timely. I have been retired just a shade over one year. I never have any dreams of my work...Until last night. I dreamed I stopped into work for something, (in reality I had not been back since I retired), and somehow got put into my old work position the main floor. In the dream I remembered and felt the feeling of being trapped and wanting to escape but could not. It was a feeling of panic. I remember feeling that way at times when I was working. That dream and feeling stuck with me into the morning.

There is no way I could ever work a job again.
Sounds like your subconscious was telling you that yes, you made the right decision by retiring. My guess is that you won't dream about work again for a long time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #50
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Sounds like your subconscious was telling you that yes, you made the right decision by retiring. My guess is that you won't dream about work again for a long time.
I have no doubt I made the right decision with retiring when I did. In the past few months I have begun to find real fulfillment in my life. I never felt like I was on the right track nor surrounded with the right people the last few years while I was working. I think the dream was my subconscious reminding me how I used to feel. I had forgotten what it used to be like. l think a good wake up call.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How funny...I had a work dream and a college dream this morning (slept in b/c of driveway blocked w/snow). I think this thread prompted the dreams.
Work dream: Fun dream. I was back at the Pentagon, facing lengthy hikes along its miles of corridors. Oddly, there were large "open-plan" spaces, definitely not the real case in that land of double-locked office doors :-) Anyway, someone offered me a special pair of "skates," which were just curved pieces of wood you stepped into...but wow, did they ever move me along! At the dream's end, I gave someone else one of my "skates" and was still able to zip along on the one I had left.

College dream: Annoying; too many classes, too much homework, mail not being delivered to my tiny dorm room (laughable, since I lived with my parents during college, and in my current home during grad school!) I was afraid someone in the mailroom would see my OPM pension statements and realize I didn't actually need to go to college to get a good job any more Still, even though I realized I didn't need classes, I was determined to get through them and get A's...just to prove I still could. Waking up was a relief :-)

Amethyst
Old 02-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #52
Dryer sheet wannabe

Kinda like the dreams of showing up at highschool in nothing but tightie whiteys. Had that dream ( at least my dream and nightmare for others if it were true) for many years after graduation. Or having the dream of realizing that you missed a class all semester and would not pass thus not graduate from college. Still have that one and it's been 16 years.

I don't dream about work but likely will after ER.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:58 PM   #53

I started having Megacorp dreams about one year after ER. The first year... nothing. Now it's almost every night for the last 6 months. Usually some sort of frustrating situation with an easy solution, but I spend the whole dream trying to find someone, or recover a file, or wandering aimlessly around an offsite conference center. Also, a lot of travel dreams where I'm late, or lost, or forgot something important like my passport. Sometimes they are pleasant and routine where I resolved a problem in the same steps and method that actually occurred years or decades earlier. All the people, places, and situations are very realistic. Sometimes I try to explain to the people in the dream that I'm retired and don't actually work there anymore, but they seem uninterested in my explanation.

I worked at a restaurant in college and I sometimes still dream about the atypical lunch rush when we were badly understaffed and everything went wrong. I hope it doesn't take this long for the Megacorp dreams to fade away. I've also had the college dream that everyone else described, but not very often... about the same frequency as flying, breathing underwater, and going to the grocery store in my underwear.

Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote