Join Early Retirement Today

Wal-Mart greeter jobs: get 'em before they're gone!
Old 02-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Wal-Mart greeter jobs: get 'em before they're gone!

I can't believe that I missed the press release, but Business Week summarized it in their "Obsolete Jobs Club" article:
The Obsolete Jobs Club - Businessweek

Quote:
Yet news in late January that the world’s largest retailer has removed greeters from the overnight shift at its 3,800-plus U.S. stores—and is redefining the role of daytime greeters, too—evoked a reaction that borders on disbelief. Analyst David Strasser of Janney Montgomery Scott called the strategy “risky,” while editorial writers at the Chicago Sun-Times admitted that the move “bums us out.” Never mind that customers will likely be better served by having those workers stock shelves instead. For some, the idea that a 30-year tradition at America’s largest private employer might end is cause enough to mourn.
It's also an interesting summary of other disappearing occupations... not always from tech or offshoring, either.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

In my area, Walmart "greeters" have turned into "security agents" a long time ago. They don't hit you on the way in with a smile and a "welcome to Walmart", they hit you on the way out with a suspicious look and a "could you open your bag for me please".
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Last week I went to my local Wal-Mart, and there was no greeter or anybody at all at the entrance. At the exit, there was a woman sitting on a chair and inspecting receipts. She didn't even look at mine. I think she was subconsciously profiling and figured a slow-walking, retired lady with a Wal-Mart bag full of sweatpants probably wasn't stealing them.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have also found that Wal Mart greeters are now more belligerent and unfriendly than in the past. Rude as well.

Perhaps they were trained by TSA? Body pat downs coming your way soon.....
Coolius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolius View Post
I have also found that Wal Mart greeters are now more belligerent and unfriendly than in the past. Rude as well.

Would you be in a good mood if you worked at Walmart?
Old 02-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I agree with the post about the 'greeter'....

If there is someone there, they are just standing around.. if someone is bringing something in to exchange then they will put something on it, but otherwise I have not heard a hello or anything else out of them in a LONG time....

Speaking of jobs going away.... how many here remember getting into an elevator and there was someone there to push the button for you
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Speaking of jobs going away.... how many here remember getting into an elevator and there was someone there to push the button for you
Only if you're a Congresscritter.
Nonessential Personnel :: The Future of Capitalism

Quote:
An online job listing for an opening as a Capitol elevator operator from 2009 says the job pays between $14.19 and $16.55 an hour and includes "A variety of health insurance plans; retirement system with investment options; paid holiday; paid sick and annual (vacation) leave; life insurance; incentive systems; subsidized transportation; training and development opportunities, etc."
Old 02-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

My local Wallyworld has greeters, who don't greet, aren't able to point to where I might get a basket (instead of a cart), and usually don't check receipts, unless the alarm is triggered. Mostly, they just clog the doorway.

And, speaking of clogged, they revamped the store a few years ago to be a "Super" Wallyworld, with nice, wide aisles of well-organized merchandise. This lasted for a nanosecond, whereupon they filled all those wide aisles with kiosks full of crap...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:41 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

depends a lot on which wal-mart you go to, ours are grumpy. I would HATE to work at wal-mart. I worked at sam's club in college and it was only marginally better.

at least the CEO 'cares'

Quote:
Wal-Mart understands the recession, and CEO Bill Simon explains the impacts of the recession on the ‘average Joe’ perhaps better than anyone. With brutal honesty, he recently gave a presentation at a Goldman Sachs conference which sums up the challenges that the growing number of unemployed folks face today.

Here I quote directly from a recent article in the WSJ titled ‘Underwear Economics‘.

“The Wal-Mart customer is a bit of a microcosm of the U.S. economy… You need not go further than one of our stores on midnight at the end of the month… It’s real interesting to watch. About 11 p.m., customers start to come in and shop, fill their grocery basket with basic items, baby formula, milk, bread, eggs, and continue to shop and mill about the store until midnight, when…government electronic benefits cards get activated and then the checkout starts… The only reason somebody gets out in the middle of the night and buys baby formula is that they need it… We are open 24 hours…. If you are there at midnight, you are there for a reason.”
Old 02-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Would you be in a good mood if you worked at Walmart?
Yes. I've had a good attitude with every job I've had - even the ones that were not so great. It makes the day go faster.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
It's also an interesting summary of other disappearing occupations... not always from tech or offshoring, either.
But pretty much always from corporations going cheap, for one reason or another. Plus the more they can increase unemployment, the more leverage they have in freezing wages and slashing benefits even as their profits soar...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #12

At one of the Walmarts here it is a good idea to go armed. If unarmed you run the risk of being mugged by roving bands of young people. And they are just the employees. The customers are worse. Did I mention that I hate Walmart?
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #13

Sam's Club has checked goods leaving the store against the receipt forever. They are pleasant, but it's still a nuisance. To me it says more about out society that this goes on than it does about the store.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Sam's Club has checked goods leaving the store against the receipt forever. They are pleasant, but it's still a nuisance. To me it says more about out society that this goes on than it does about the store.

The problem is that nothing is bagged.... so you can just walk on by and how could they tell the difference...

At the other stores, if you are walking out with your cart full of items not bagged, it is a giveaway that you did not pay...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Yes. I've had a good attitude with every job I've had - even the ones that were not so great. It makes the day go faster.
+1 Since I'm lazy, I chose a good attitude because it takes more effort to have a bad attitude than a good attitude.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I've been going to Wal-mart once a week for years to get groceries. I almost always get greeted on my way in by a nice friendly greeter. Right now, the entrance I usualy use has a woman near 40 who is clearly mentally challenged but nice and friendly. The other door has an elderly man well into his 70's who is usually sitting down but still greets everyone he can with a nice smile. I've never seen anyone check the reciept and i've never heard the alarm go off.
aaronc879 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The problem is that nothing is bagged.... so you can just walk on by and how could they tell the difference...

At the other stores, if you are walking out with your cart full of items not bagged, it is a giveaway that you did not pay...
Agree. Costco does the same thing for the same reason. The person at the exit scans the receipt and the items in your cart. Takes about 4 seconds. No big deal other than sometimes there is a short line.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The employees in our Wal-mart are mostly friendly. Some will lead you to the item you want. The cashiers don't seem as friendly, but then again it can't be easy standing for hours, especially for the very overweight cashiers.

The bag checker barely looks at us.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I rarely go to WalMart, but I don't remember seeing a greeter in the past few years at our local WM. Maybe it's been implemented in our burg...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
In my area, Walmart "greeters" have turned into "security agents" a long time ago. They don't hit you on the way in with a smile and a "welcome to Walmart", they hit you on the way out with a suspicious look and a "could you open your bag for me please".
Yup. My experience too. In fact a run in with a "greeter" caused the new Target in my area to get all my business for the kinds of things I buy from those kind of stores. It didn't help that while he was on a razors edge of accusing me of stealing that the entrance smelled like a urinal. As for Sam's, two or three months after my wife passed away I went in to stock up on some stuff. The clerk checking me out told me my card was no good and I needed to go to customer service. They informed me that they had learned that the primary card holder was deceased and my card was invalid. It was very surreal and weird. Once I got my head in order I just left my basket there and left. Sorry I got so far off topic but both episodes still piss me off.
JmfromTx is offline   Reply With Quote