Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
December '08, I was awakened by the sounds of my neighbor who spent 30 minutes scraping off ice so he could go to work.
Yeah, we still get a kick out of watching the DC area's traffic reports on TV. It's a constant reminder of why "we are soooo glad we left that area!"

Well, I did end up with another job, but it's so low-stress that often the hardest part is staying awake, has a 3.4 mile commute, and if both traffic lights are red it takes ten minutes. And last week I got an almost $2/hour raise!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #222
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Bravo, Muy bien, Ea, Cojonudo....well not the last one-thatīs a four letter word here in Spain, not suitable to a lady like you!
Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #223

Congratulations W2R. I hope (know) you'll like ER as much as I do. Have you gotten into the nap habit, yet? It took me a couple of weeks to adapt, but now it's part of my answer to "what do you do all day?".

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Vicente and thank you, Eagle 43.

As for my napping so far, well, one day I took a nap for two hours in the middle of the afternoon. And then this morning, my napping was really bizarre - - I got up early, showered, dressed, made and drank my morning coffee, and then thought about the fact that I could sleep whenever I want to. So I went back to bed just because I could, and slept three more hours and got up a second time.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Thank you, Vicente and thank you, Eagle 43.

As for my napping so far, well, one day I took a nap for two hours in the middle of the afternoon. And then this morning, my napping was really bizarre - - I got up early, showered, dressed, made and drank my morning coffee, and then thought about the fact that I could sleep whenever I want to. So I went back to bed just because I could, and slept three more hours and got up a second time.
Yep! She's retired now.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 PM   #226
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations W2R!!!!! I am so happy for you Here's to more coffee and naps
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM   #227
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Happy 1 week retired anniversary W2R!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 03:32 PM   #228
Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Citrine and Audrey!

Audrey, I just have to point out that this is my FIRST MONDAY since I retired. I absolutely love it - - today I went to the gym for a nice long workout, and then have been relaxing and enjoying life while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #229
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Thank you, Citrine and Audrey!

Audrey, I just have to point out that this is my FIRST MONDAY since I retired. I absolutely love it - - today I went to the gym for a nice long workout, and then have been relaxing and enjoying life while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.

you just had to rub it in didn't you...
Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.
Hey, a lot of us resemble that remark...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #231
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
..... and then have been relaxing and enjoying life while my co-workers set their alarms early to struggle through traffic in order to get to work and hassle with office politics and stress.
I was terrible! I think for at least two years I would say "nyah, nyah, nyuh, nyah, nyah!" whenever I noticed the commuters madly rushing to work on weekday mornings.

What a great feeling - not having to commute to work in the morning!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #232
Give me a forum ...

First snow this fall. Let the dogs back in after their morning whiz and decided not drive to the Mall(mall walking) and slept in til 10 am. Snow wasn't so bad so off to the doughnut shop.

Ya gotta learn to wing it and be agile, mobile and hostile in ER - not let any 'forced routine' get ya down.

Just kidding.

heh heh heh - .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #233
Moderator Emeritus

I'm loving it! This is the life - - and better than I ever expected.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM   #234
Give me a forum ...

Just this morning, as we woke up gradually and stayed in bed, DW and were discussing how one can take for granted not having to have an alarm clock. We talked about how, when living in Oakland, we had to get up, get dressed, walk to the bus stop, take the bus into San Francisco, then walk to our jobs. Reverse process in the evening.

"We paid our dues," she said.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #235
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

As for my napping so far, well, one day I took a nap for two hours in the middle of the afternoon.
Heh.....I can relate to this. Many a day on the old j*b at about 2PM I would dream of the day when I could just stretch out under a ceiling fan and take a snooze.
Now my afternoon nappy has become almost a ritual.

You seem to be making the transition in grand style.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #236
Full time employment: Posting here.

W2R....I have the part time work lifestyle and it is awesome.....no early alarm clock waking up for me either! It is easing the "pain" till I get to retire completely
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:06 PM   #237
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
Many a day on the old j*b at about 2PM I would dream of the day when I could just stretch out under a ceiling fan and take a snooze.
But isn't this where we lose something in retirement? Yes, in retirement you can enjoy a leisurely two hour siesta, but can it really compare to the delicious guilty pleasure of putting your head down on that cold Formica desk and stealing 90 seconds of downtime from the borg before the phone rings again?
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 02:24 AM   #238

Quote:
Yes, in retirement you can enjoy a leisurely two hour siesta, but can it really compare to the delicious guilty pleasure of putting your head down on that cold Formica desk and stealing 90 seconds of downtime from the borg before the phone rings again?
I know what the latter feels like (and a few other things I did in my old job after I handed in my notice) and I am very looking forward to finding out what the two hour afternoon siesta feels like after I retire.

This thread has motivated me to rework our retirement numbers and see if I can call it quits at the end of 2011 instead of 2013.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #239
Moderator Emeritus

Traineeinvestor, I hope your numbers work out. In my case, even though I inherited a substantial sum in 2008 and became FI, I could not move up my ER date from what I had originally planned. This was because I had to wait for retirement eligibility so that I would have health care covered.

So far in retirement I have less desire to buy "toys" than I did while working. All I have managed to buy as a "Good for Me!" present so far, was a couple of pairs of slacks that I needed anyway. Still, so far the freedom of ER is much better than I ever dreamed.

I have been making efforts to develop a more active lifestyle than I have had for the past 44 years (since high school). It is so nice to be able to go to the gym, or go for a walk, any time I please. This alone has been a tremendous lift to my morale as I had been living an extremely sedentary life. I am hoping/planning to make physical activity of some kind a daily habit and enjoying the health benefits that I know this will bring to me.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #240
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But isn't this where we lose something in retirement? Yes, in retirement you can enjoy a leisurely two hour siesta, but can it really compare to the delicious guilty pleasure of putting your head down on that cold Formica desk and stealing 90 seconds of downtime from the borg before the phone rings again?
Umm....I'm afraid I didn't have the luxury of a cold Formica desk....or a chair to sit in. 2 PM usually found me standing in front of a pedestal fan blowing 100 degree air. My 'phone' was the sound penny sized chips of hot steel being flung from a solid bar spinning at 500 rpms.