Want2retire is retired!

I am really late to this party, but a big Congratulations to you W2R. It had been a long time coming and I know that you could not wait. I am so happy to hear that you are enjoying it so much. I am glad that you are still posting and look forward to hearing all about your move and life as a retiree.

Thanks, Dreamer! Since I am just a "retirement newbie", it is great to know so many fine retired people who can help guide me if I feel tentative or have questions. And if contributing my experiences as a new retiree can help anyone, I am glad to post about them too. All in all, I would not dream of refraining from posting. :)

It will be a while until we move - - probably at the end of 2010 or else 2011. A lot depends on when Frank can manage to retire, as well as how long it may take to sell our houses. We are really looking forward to the adventure of our move north.

Congratulations WR2! I've read your posts over the past few years and have been quite impressed with your ability to plan and to work your plan. So pleased that the current economic conditions did not keep you from your dream. Best wishes and continued success in retirement.

- Dog

Thank you so much, Dog! I am glad that nothing stopped me, too. It is a great feeling to have one's long term planning finally work out. Even better than that, is sleeping in whenever I want to. :D

Now that I am completely retired, I can see the effects that job-related stress was having on me. It was worse than I realized (and now, being relatively stress free is better than I imagined).

Thank you so much, Dog! I am glad that nothing stopped me, too. It is a great feeling to have one's long term planning finally work out. Even better than that, is sleeping in whenever I want to. :D

Now that I am completely retired, I can see the effects that job-related stress was having on me. It was worse than I realized (and now, being relatively stress free is better than I imagined).

Same here. I knew I was stressed but did not know how badly.

Same here. I knew I was stressed but did not know how badly.

Federal employment can be stressful. I am just glad that I got out when I did, before my job permanently ruined my health. Now, it feels like a 5,000 pound weight has been removed from my back. Plus, no big worries any more. I handed all that off to my successor at work. And for me? Endless days of play, as Goonie might phrase it. :D

Last edited:
Even better than that, is sleeping in whenever I want to. :D

Congrats W2R! I know exactly how you feel. I was on vacation when you pulled the plug and am just trying to catch up.....
As to the stress.....
Second that! I suffered from major headaches, 4 or 5 a week before I retired. I thought I inherited the trait from my mother but about a month after my last day under the grindstone I suddenly realized that I had not had a headache for about a week. Hallelujah! :clap:I have only had 3 or 4 in the past 3 years.
2fer

Thank you, Two4! The stress reduction is remarkable. It is wonderful to not have to "wind down" at the end of the day. I am already there. :LOL:

Of course it has only been a little over a month, but I have also noticed that (at least so far) I feel stronger, healthier, and more placid. I haven't had a cold or virus, and haven't even felt like I was fighting one off, since retirement. No digestive upsets, either. Much better so far than when I was working in close quarters with so many people. And I am frequently surprised to find myself smiling happily for no reason at all. :D

My very late but no less sincere and enthusiastic congratulations to W2R. Anything I say will be a repeat, but I wanted to add my thanks to the lots of members who have gotten inspiration, useful information, and fun reading W2R's posts over the last few years.
I will be getting there in a few weeks, and I can't wait to experience unloading my 5000lbs load from my back. After reading this entire thread, I do realize I have been much more stressed than I ever admitted. Time to unwind.
A question to W2R: how often do you work out now, after a month and so of ER?

My very late but no less sincere and enthusiastic congratulations to W2R. Anything I say will be a repeat, but I wanted to add my thanks to the lots of members who have gotten inspiration, useful information, and fun reading W2R's posts over the last few years.
I will be getting there in a few weeks, and I can't wait to experience unloading my 5000lbs load from my back. After reading this entire thread, I do realize I have been much more stressed than I ever admitted. Time to unwind.
A question to W2R: how often do you work out now, after a month and so of ER?

Thank you, Radiophilejapan!! What a nice post and I really appreciate it. I am really happy to be free these days. Sounds like your turn will be coming up soon. :D :clap: :dance:

As for working out, well, err. :2funny: After crowing above about not having had a cold, this week I am sick with a lot of chest congestion and coughing and I am such a wimp! Haven't worked out all week. But my commitment to improving my health is long term and not something I am going to just toss aside. I think that we each create our own individual retirements, and if you decide that you want to work out more, then you will.

Last edited:
W2R, I hope you'll get better soon. Improving my health (physical and mental), or at least avoiding further deterioration is one of my main goals for retirement. Reading yours and other members' progress towards it will be a great support to my own efforts. Please, keep up the good work out!

W2R,

I wasn't going to congratulate you because I was so late to the thread... but I liked the idea of being the very last forum member to congratulate you on your recent...stretching a little bit... retirement. So here goes, Congratulations! I know from reading your posts over the last year or so how much you were looking forward to retiring, I'm very happy for you and wish you the best.

Jim

Thank you so much, Jim!! I appreciate the kind thoughts and they mean no less to me now than they would have before. I still feel like a brand new retiree.

So far, I haven't been bored for a single minute (despite the predictions of several people at w*rk) and life is a bowl of cherries. I am enjoying retirement so much more than I ever expected. I am really looking forward to Frank's retirement in late February, too. He is working an inhuman amount of overtime in a stressful job and I know he will enjoy retirement..

This week I have a vile chest cold, and it is especially great to know that I don't have to go to work. I can stay home, keep warm, and sleep until I feel better.

Last edited:
Congrats W2R. I don't hang here much anymore (too busy). After 7 years retired, I am still looking for some spare time!

Thanks, KCowan! So far I am not quite THAT busy, although I have been procrastinating on doing some projects around the house. :LOL:

We enjoy your posts when you do find time to visit. :)

Yesterday, I got up with nothing to do and I still have not finished half of it!

I would put off that stuff if I were you. Let Frank do it!

He will have some catching up to do when he retires.

If Frank happened to read the above, he would never retire and I would not blame him.

Frank has plenty of his own stuff to do, before he could even dream of tackling mine! :LOL:

I got one of the tasks on my list done this morning. I filled out a two page form to get regular monthly payments direct deposited to me from my TSP (=401K). So, that's a start. Time to kick back. :D

Frank took me to lunch today, and the waitress decided that we were such good customers that she unexpectedly gave us free dessert! We chose huge slices of some excellent strawberry cheesecake. Very decadent. Tomorrow I declare the holidays over. No more cheesecake! Off to the gym.

Yesterday was my three year retirement anniversary ("retire-a-versary"?). The time has sure flown by. Still, I am happy to say that retirement is every bit as exhilarating and breathtaking today as when I described it using emoticons in the post below. It just doesn't grow old, does it? :D

I used to be known as Want2retire on this forum, but today is my retirement day so I had my username changed. Since so many people call me W2R for short, it seemed like a good choice. Besides, "Wonderful2Retire" is just too long to suit me! :LOL:

I have completed my "to do" list here at work and have erased it off my whiteboard. All I have left to do is to turn in my badge, parking permit, and exit clearance on the way out the door.

It is SO FANTASTIC to make a long term plan and to finally implement it! I really appreciate the support all of you have given me through the years.

And as for the inevitable "How does it feel?":

:dance::clap::dance::clap::dance::clap:!!! :dance::clap::dance::clap:!!!​

Good to see you are still enjoying retirement.
I'm right behind you, Dec. 17, is the last day I actually worked. Oh that's an X rated word, isn't it ?
Sorry about that !!!
Anyway, 3 years comimg up soon.
Steve

Last edited:
Congratulations!!! I'm coming up on my first retire-a-versary in a month and a half.

But.... I thought the forum rules say one can't have more than one screen name? :) I'm glad you found a workaround though - W2R is a lot easier.

Congratulations!!! I'm coming up on my first retire-a-versary in a month and a half.

But.... I thought the forum rules say one can't have more than one screen name? :) I'm glad you found a workaround though - W2R is a lot easier.

You can have your screen name changed if there is a good reason for it (such as being called "Want2retire" and having already retired). You can't have more than one screen name at a time, though because the Community Rules say that you just can't have more than one account at a time... :)
Participants may only have one account unless moderator permission for multiple accounts is granted.

Congratulations in advance for your first retire-a-versary! And stevewc, congratulations in advance for your third! Time sure flies, doesn't it. :D

That screen name change is good to know - perhaps someday in the long distant future if I wear diapers I'll need to change mine. :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom