Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2009, 04:38 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But isn't this where we lose something in retirement? Yes, in retirement you can enjoy a leisurely two hour siesta, but can it really compare to the delicious guilty pleasure of putting your head down on that cold Formica desk and stealing 90 seconds of downtime from the borg before the phone rings again?
I always got caught when I fell asleep at work. The keyboard imprints on my face would give me away.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2009, 04:50 PM   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Although many times I found myself nodding at work and had to get up and walk around to stay awake, I don't think that I ever actually fell asleep there. But oh, did I want to! Almost every day I would come home from work and fall asleep for an hour shortly thereafter, in front of the evening news.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
Umm....I'm afraid I didn't have the luxury of a cold Formica desk....or a chair to sit in. 2 PM usually found me standing in front of a pedestal fan blowing 100 degree air. My 'phone' was the sound penny sized chips of hot steel being flung from a solid bar spinning at 500 rpms.
Well now...it seems to me you are a man of FIRE in more ways than one.....
Old 11-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #244
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I always got caught when I fell asleep at work. The keyboard imprints on my face would give me away.
WhereI w*rk, if you accidentally fall asleep for a minute it's a class II violation. Three of those and you're out the door. If you intentionally go to sleep(sound asleep) and you get caught it's automatic termination.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poundkey View Post
Umm....I'm afraid I didn't have the luxury of a cold Formica desk....or a chair to sit in. 2 PM usually found me standing in front of a pedestal fan blowing 100 degree air. My 'phone' was the sound penny sized chips of hot steel being flung from a solid bar spinning at 500 rpms.
I too would consider it a luxury to have a cold formica desk and a chair to sit in. I do manual labor for 12 hours walking and standing on cement. I'd give $10K/yr from my paycheck to have a chair to sit in.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
WhereI w*rk, if you accidentally fall asleep for a minute it's a class II violation. Three of those and you're out the door. If you intentionally go to sleep(sound asleep) and you get caught it's automatic termination.
I suspect they didn't keep you in the office for 16-36 hours at a time, then. Work all night, snooze in the office during the day while the conference call was on mute. I was pretty good about waking up when I heard my name and faking sounding alert. Then again, nobody died if I was asleep at the desk for a little bit.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #247
Give me a forum ...

Yowza W2R. I'm amazed at how many folks here responded to your retirement post! Just goes to show you how fond we are of you.

Hope you are adjusting, chilling, and taking time to smell the roses
Old 11-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #248
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Yowza W2R. I'm amazed at how many folks here responded to your retirement post! Just goes to show you how fond we are of you.

Hope you are adjusting, chilling, and taking time to smell the roses
Thank you! Yes, I am amazed too at how many people have posted their congratulations and best wishes. I am having a wonderful day of retirement today. I slept in until 9 AM, drank my morning coffee, and then Frank took me out to lunch at a Chinese place. That was fun, though all I wanted was some egg drop soup (guess I wasn't entirely awake). After he went to work, I went to the gym and worked out for 75 minutes which felt GREAT. I met and spent a few more minutes talking to a very elderly Chinese woman, Mae, who is recovering from a bad fall. She didn't know how to work any of the machines and was feeling distressed about that, and the staff was too busy to help her at that time. So, I showed her how to work the exercycle (her choice), and a couple of other machines, doing my "good deed for the day", so to speak. Came home, had a big dinner, and I am feeling lazy. I am not only taking time to smell the roses, I feel like I am languishing in a sea of roses at the moment...

Old 11-17-2009, 07:29 PM   #249
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Came home, had a big dinner, and I am feeling lazy. I am not only taking time to smell the roses, I feel like I am languishing in a sea of roses at the moment...
Well W2R.....good for you. You seem to have transitioned right into retirement.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #250

Poundkey, you don't miss running those lathes ? CNC machines ? Drill presses. I did notice you were a machinist. I worked as a self-employed truck mechanic in my other life. That was 13 years ago. I now work in a totally different job. Of all things I cross trained into a golf course superintendent. Big change. Retirement is right around the corner for me. I turn 63 soon so it will not be long and I will start another venture in life. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #251

W2R. You sound as though you are really enjoying life now. I am about your age and will make the move soon. I just have to figure out a few things on what I will do all day when that time comes. I have always been active doing something. I love golf but I do not think I could play everyday. I also have many hobbies so that and golf will keep me busy. Enjoy your retirement and I hope to do that same real soon. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 AM   #252
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
W2R. You sound as though you are really enjoying life now. I am about your age and will make the move soon. I just have to figure out a few things on what I will do all day when that time comes. I have always been active doing something. I love golf but I do not think I could play everyday. I also have many hobbies so that and golf will keep me busy. Enjoy your retirement and I hope to do that same real soon. oldtrig
Thanks, Oldtrig, and I hope you retire soon, too. You could play golf twice a week, and then spend some other days during the week working on your many hobbies. You will still have to fit in the usual laundry, grocery shopping, and house cleaning, maintenance, and repair, but they are much more fun to do as a retiree, at your own pace when you have lots of time. I haven't had much trouble getting out of the house during the past week, what with the gym on half the days, spending Saturday with Frank, doing some major grocery shopping one day, shopping for clothes and household items on another day, and having lunch with Frank on several other days. In between everything I read, nap, and post on the forum. And then tonight I am posting because I happen to be awake at 1:30 AM.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:00 AM   #253
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrig View Post
Poundkey, you don't miss running those lathes ? CNC machines ? Drill presses. I did notice you were a machinist. I worked as a self-employed truck mechanic in my other life. That was 13 years ago. I now work in a totally different job. Of all things I cross trained into a golf course superintendent. Big change. Retirement is right around the corner for me. I turn 63 soon so it will not be long and I will start another venture in life. oldtrig
Actually I do miss the CNCs sometimes. I had to stay sharp while programming. A decimal place on the wrong side of a number could result in a train wreck. There were some fun mental challenges at times. Like having to convince a machine that it could what I was asking even though it was flashing "no I can't" error codes at me.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:16 PM   #254

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
I approached one of the higher executives in my megacorp on Thursday and ask for help on acquiring family health care so I could retire at the end of this year. The person told me they would take the idea to the top and see what happens.
I'm hoping and praying for positive results. Just maybe they would like to get rid of me as much as I would like to go .
Steve

PS. I learned they helped a guy 16 months ago in a big way. I made it clear I knew about that transaction. But I also let it be known that I was not pushing and would be OK with what ever they decided. Didn't want to go to far with it.
Well, no help from megacorp for my health care. They informed me today that there will be no extras in that area for me going out. Kind of disappointing news. Oh well, back to square one.
I still think I'm going to chance it on cobra. That leaves me hoping and praying that the legislators accidentally do something, that will be of help to my financial situation. I have waited so long for this year to come, I can't bring myself to hang around any longer. Thirty years on the job is just about long enough for any insane person to have to wait.
So, I've got to take a deep breath, hold it, get all the info I can, and get ready to sign my life and job away on the dotted line.
Can I do it ?
We will see !!!
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #255
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Airline pilot?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #256
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Airline pilot?
I couldn't quote an exact rule like that, but I would have expected similar consequences if one of our scientists had been caught sleeping at work. That's not what they were paying us taxpayer money to do.

On the other hand, normally we had reasonable hours - - nothing like what Harley mentioned with being required to be at work 36 hours straight.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #257
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
I have been making efforts to develop a more active lifestyle than I have had for the past 44 years (since high school). It is so nice to be able to go to the gym, or go for a walk, any time I please. This alone has been a tremendous lift to my morale as I had been living an extremely sedentary life. I am hoping/planning to make physical activity of some kind a daily habit and enjoying the health benefits that I know this will bring to me.
I love to run and DW loves to walk in the state park behind our home. A word to the wise , try to avoid overuse injuries by ramping up at some sensible rate. Maybe no more then 10% extra per week or two. It's particularly important in cool weather when our muscles are not warmed up at the start.

You're going to be in really great shape!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #258
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I love to run and DW loves to walk in the state park behind our home. A word to the wise , try to avoid overuse injuries by ramping up at some sensible rate. Maybe no more then 10% extra per week or two. It's particularly important in cool weather when our muscles are not warmed up at the start.

You're going to be in really great shape!
I hope so! Thanks for the advice. I am not so worried about overdoing when shopping, but it is hard to know how much is challenging without being too much when it comes to my gym routine. So, I'll keep your cautions in mind.

I feel so much better already! I worked out again today, and I really feel great.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:01 PM   #259
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not only taking time to smell the roses, I feel like I am languishing in a sea of roses at the moment...
A sea of roses? What a wonderful image! Makes me think of this song. Hope this is suited to your post-retirement mood. Reminds me of your profession. Give Frank a big 'ole hug next time you see him.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #260
Moderator Emeritus

I love that song, Purron!!

I am going to have lunch with Frank tomorrow, but I may or may not want to hug him - - I think he is coming down with the flu. Hopefully he will feel better by then.