Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Way2Go, W2R!

I am so happy for you; your planning and dedication have finally paid off. I wish the best for you and look forward to your future posts.

-helen
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

...I am either going to really enjoy sleeping in, or if I awaken early I am going to enjoy watching the sun rise with coffee out on my own patio...
Psssstttt...go for the sunrise
Old 11-10-2009, 07:19 AM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Alas, I am still counting Monday's and one day I hope to be like you WERE counting down the days... congrats on your big day!

(now if the Dow keeps going higher and higher it will artificially reduce my magic monday's number, since the date is not as important as the ending account balance...)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Getting to the gym mid-morning is such a huge luxury...one of my top five things in the "Pluses of Retirement Column". Enjoy the day W2R and definitely relegate that alarm clock to a guest bedroom.
Yep - using facilities like the gym, the neighborhood tennis courts, whatever during "normal" work hours - not to mention grocery shopping mid-morning! - these are all HUGE benefits of being retired!

They go away on the weekends though! If you live in an urban area you'll come to dread the weekends. Can't even sit out in your own back yard on the weekends because everyone else is out catching up on their mowing!

But at least there are 5 days out of 7 that you get to enjoy!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM   #125

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:28 AM   #126
Full time employment: Posting here.

Very cool! The first few months are going to be a blast! The rest of the time will be great as well, but especially the first few months.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - using facilities like the gym, the neighborhood tennis courts, whatever during "normal" work hours - not to mention grocery shopping mid-morning! - these are all HUGE benefits of being retired!

They go away on the weekends though! If you live in an urban area you'll come to dread the weekends. Can't even sit out in your own back yard on the weekends because everyone else is out catching up on their mowing!
Yep. Most retired people I know hibernate in their homes all weekend. I can't imagine looking forward to Mondays. Must be a weird feeling...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:31 AM   #128
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Yep. Most retired people I know hibernate in their homes all weekend. I can't imagine looking forward to Mondays. Must be a weird feeling...
I can see how that feeling might grow on a person after a while. It was really neat to go to the gym at 8:45 this morning. No waiting for the machines, not even for the popular ones. An 83 year old woman, who said she has been retired since 1962(!) showed me how to work the rowing machine. It was nice to have plenty of time to try it out, since my routine up to now has never included that machine.

My gym is just off the busiest street in the entire area, but when I left the gym there was almost no traffic. Sure made driving home a breeze.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #129
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I can't wait to see the results, to see what my nestegg on Retirement Day ends up being, and consequently what my SWR will apply to!

LOL!

Way to go on getting there, Congratulations! WOOT!!!!!

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:35 AM   #130

Quote:

That would be me. Since I retired I hate weekends and all the working stiffs that get in my way. So I stay home if possible.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
SO and I anticipate Mondays like we used to look forward to that long-off retirement day. Coffee shop is less crowded, it's fun to watch the 8-5ers trail in at 5:10 looking for a good seat; and the crossword puzzle is easy on Mondays. OMG, there are only 3-1/2 days until Saturday. mn, today is Saturday, sort of. The swimming pool I go to is actually semi-crowded when I go as that is the time when some lanes are reserved for re-hab, but I do have a lot in common with the nice old fogies there.

Glad to see you in the club, W2R, and off-line during w*rking hours.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well - you definitely start feeling cheery on Sunday evenings - just the opposite from when you were working.

Actually, we kind of "solved" the weekend thing when we became perpetual travelers. We tend to travel on Saturdays and Sundays if making a long trek. City and interstate traffic tends to be lighter and you don't have to fight rush hours. Sunday is optimal for crossing a major urban area.

Audrey
Old 11-10-2009, 12:32 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
An 83 year old woman, who said she has been retired since 1962(!) showed me how to work the rowing machine. It was nice to have plenty of time to try it out, since my routine up to now has never included that machine.
Wow - that's impressive! A long retirement! If she's doing the rowing machine at 83, she's keeping those bones in great shape!

When I was working with a personal trainer, we often were scheduled after another client - a 94 year old woman who was trying to improve her golf game! She said she never subscribed to anything because she never knew how much longer she'd be around!

Audrey
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Yep - using facilities .....whatever during "normal" work hours - not to mention grocery shopping mid-morning! - these are all HUGE benefits of being retired!

......If you live in an urban area you'll come to dread the weekends. Can't even sit out in your own back yard on the weekends because everyone else is out catching up on their mowing!
Quote:
....Most retired people I know hibernate in their homes all weekend. I can't imagine looking forward to Mondays. Must be a weird feeling...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
.....Since I retired I hate weekends and all the working stiffs that get in my way. So I stay home if possible.
Ditto ALL of the above!!! We do our running around, banking, grocery shopping (especiallY!), and other stuff Monday through Friday....however we do try to avoid the bank on Fridays 'cause all those wage earners are there cashing there checks...we usually go mid-morning on Tues., Wed., or Thurs.....they're never busy! Also we almost never leave the house on weekdays before 9 a.m., so we don't get in the way of all those poor ol' souls trudging their way to work or school...It's our contribution to them!!!

I always try to get all of my outdoor work done on weekdays, so on weekends I can sit on the patio with a cold beverage, and watch all of the neighbors hurrying & scurrying & working their tails off trying to get all of their yard work done before they have to hit the grindstone again on Monday. Besides, that way they think that ALL that I ever do ALL day, EVERYDAY, is sit on my @ss and do nothing, and that just serves to irritate them even more on top of the fact that they have to go back to the salt mines on Monday morning and slave away, while I (in their mind's eye) sit up my posterior, mocking them!

(me = .... neighbors = .... me = )
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:16 PM   #135
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm so happy for you and so jealous all at the same time! I'm a new joiner, age 35, with hopes to retire at 55. Good luck in all your pursuits!
sirion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #136
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
You will wake up tomorrow with a big empty feeling. Thinking....'Is this really it?' Not knowing what to do you will probably head to this nearest Walmart inquiring about a 'greeter' job. I'm so sorry for you. It can be a very disappointing experience.

I on the other hand will wake up tomorrow, have a cup of coffee, feed the mutt, then have a little breakfast with great anticipation for my 10:00am tee time. Assuming Ida takes a hard turn to the right.
IDA's gone east for the Winter.
This is a great day to practice your knockdown shots.
theloneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:48 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

It is beautiful and sunny outside today in New Orleans! So sunny I had to wear my sunglasses, and 70-75 degrees or so with a light breeze. I went clothes shopping at my favorite shop, and at the cash register I was surprised when the cashier gave me a 10% senior discount that is unpublicized and only available on Tuesdays. Then walked through several other stores just because I can.

Yes, that 83-year-old at the gym was pretty cool. I would have guessed she was under 70 years old and she was trim and very fit for 83. She was there with her husband. She says she isn't so great with the weight machines, and usually does them with the minimum weight. But at least she does them.

Old 11-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #138
Recycles dryer sheets

W2R, Congratulations, You are going to love this as you are probably starting to see. One of the really cool things that happened shortly after I retired, I went into a department store and realized, the crowds were at work and I was free to shop around at my leisure. It felt so liberating. I just felt like laughing. Since then I have had this overwhelming fun free feeling, no pressure, no guilt, no stress, no time limits, just free, free, free! In fact, this morning, 5 months post retired, I told my wife, "You know...this retirement stuff is just totally awesome". Once again congratulations and keep us posted with you're thoughts and wisdom!
Old 11-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Day 1 sure sounds like it was fun.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Day 1 sure sounds like it was fun.
It really, really was!!

And there is more to come - - endless days of play, as Goonie said.