Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well - you definitely start feeling cheery on Sunday evenings - just the opposite from when you were working.

Actually, we kind of "solved" the weekend thing when we became perpetual travelers. We tend to travel on Saturdays and Sundays if making a long trek. City and interstate traffic tends to be lighter and you don't have to fight rush hours. Sunday is optimal for crossing a major urban area.

Audrey
Yep - and I only roll down the road 6-8 times a year with the old Chevy Equinox.

My internal clock used wake me for several months after ER - I enjoyed(weather permitting) making a pot of black coffee and sitting on the back deck watching those poor suckers heading to work crossing the Twin span into New Orleans from Slidell, etc. Like the cat who swallowed the canary.

heh heh heh - Remember you are facing a long career of 'doing nothing in particular all day'. It's a tough skill to master - as of this yr I've been working at it for 16 yrs. .
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #142
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats. It is always nice to see people set goal and achieve it.

Please continue to let us know what life is like without work.

mP
Disappointed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
IDA's gone east for the Winter.
This is a great day to practice your knockdown shots.
We actually got a lot of rain last night and this morning. Too much standing water to play this afternoon. Maybe try tomorrow. Just watched a couple of movies while listening to my dog snore all afternoon.

Two for Tuesday, yup....time to take advantage of 2 Mexican dinners for the price of one. Take one to good old mom tonight. I may have to take an extra med or two tonight to put out the fire.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

W2R, after watching your countdown over the final years. The final 10 days reminded me of a rocket launch 10..9... we have ignition....

One question, if you are going to change your user name a why W2R? You've done it girl no longer Want to Retire

Oh and congratulations of course.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

I was traveling/working yesterday and missed it, tied up receiving my annual performance review - something you never have to deal with again.

We've probably all been watching your countdown while enjoying you many posts/contributions.

Congratulations on achieving one of life's greatest milestones, very well done.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #146
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed just now reading the 8 pages of congrats so far and now will add mine to the list: Congratulations W2R!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #147
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
W2R, sorry I'm late. Looks like you're starting off right.

It took a few weeks for the Sunday afternoon gloomies to go away.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:42 PM   #148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
W2R, sorry I'm late. Looks like you're starting off right.

It took a few weeks for the Sunday afternoon gloomies to go away.
No such thing as late! I have all the time in the world, now, and you too.

Maybe I can think of some way to cheer up Sunday afternoons again. They don't need to be gloomy anymore.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations W2R I bet you can't stop smiling.

I look forward to reading about your retired adventures.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Congrats! I was among the posters who referred to you with the nickname W2R; it's a convenient shorthand. Well, as the official screen name, it's as good as any, and keeps you linked to the past posts.

What will you do tomorrow? Be careful not to go shopping too often!

And beware of the travel bug's bite. Before you know it, you may be shopping for that RV!

By the way, I just discovered a nick name for the RV sewer hose. It has been called the "stinky slinky", due to its flexible goose neck construction.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #151
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Congrats! I was among the posters who referred to you with the nickname W2R; it's a convenient shorthand. Well, as the official screen name, it's as good as any, and keeps you linked to the past posts.

What will you do tomorrow? Be careful not to go shopping too often!

And beware of the travel bug's bite. Before you know it, you may be shopping for that RV!

By the way, I just discovered a nick name for the RV sewer hose. It has been called the "stinky slinky", due to its flexible goose neck construction.
No RV's, travel, or stinky slinky for me! Not my cup of tea.

I am going to play it by ear tomorrow, but I know I will have fun.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No RV's, travel, or stinky slinky for me!
WHY NOT, if Frank would be the one dealing with the "slinky". Just don't call it that within his earshot.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #153
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations Lady !!!
I'm happy to see you made it.
Free at Last Free at Last.

I hope things work out where I'm right behind you
Still dreaming and trying to accomplish my goal of bailing out
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #154
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Well - you definitely start feeling cheery on Sunday evenings - just the opposite from when you were working.
Audrey
Funny thing is what actually told me w**k to 65 was not for me is that I would spend every Sunday in a funk thinking "tomorrow I have to go to w**k! That's when ER planning really kicked into gear.

Sorry for minor Hijack W2R....
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:57 PM   #155
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wow it was fun reading all of that. Congrats W2R!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:22 AM   #156
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Funny thing is what actually told me w**k to 65 was not for me is that I would spend every Sunday in a funk thinking "tomorrow I have to go to w**k! That's when ER planning really kicked into gear.

Sorry for minor Hijack W2R....
I always felt like that, too. It made weekends seem much shorter when Sunday was so depressing. It also took most of Sunday to do laundry, go grocery shopping and so on, in preparation for the work week.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 AM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I always felt like that, too. It made weekends seem much shorter when Sunday was so depressing. It also took most of Sunday to do laundry, go grocery shopping and so on, in preparation for the work week.
Don't tell me you got up at 4:10am again?
Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 AM   #158
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Don't tell me you got up at 4:10am again?
5:42 AM this morning - - - progress!

Old 11-11-2009, 07:41 AM   #159
Recycles dryer sheets

Congrats! I am pea-green with envy, and glad to hear that you are enjoying your first official week. One time several years ago you posted your story about how you started thinking/planning/etc for ER. If you are of a mind, I wish you'd post that link. I remember thinking it was very inspirational. Of course, hearing how giddy you are this week is very inspirational also!! Congrats again.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #160
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba View Post
Congrats! I am pea-green with envy, and glad to hear that you are enjoying your first official week. One time several years ago you posted your story about how you started thinking/planning/etc for ER. If you are of a mind, I wish you'd post that link. I remember thinking it was very inspirational. Of course, hearing how giddy you are this week is very inspirational also!! Congrats again.
I am not exactly sure which post you have in mind, but maybe it is this one:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...7&postcount=36

The first thing I did after retiring was to immediately be swept off by Frank to a lunch celebration - - but the second thing I did was to write my brother George (mentioned in the link) an e-mail to tell him that yes, thanks to him I DID IT!

He congratulated me and then told me that he must be from another planet because he found that in retirement, he lives a 25 hour day instead of 24 hours unless he sets his alarm..