Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

I live in CT now. We get hit with high taxes, cold winters, humid summer, and did I say high taxes? I want an artsy community, that isn't too uptight. Housing prices here are high, and have been mortgage free for a while. So housing prices in most places should be less than here.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2011, 11:29 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
We're sort of dealing with this too, as we've decided we don't want to take any more hellish Texas summers than we have to. I work from home completely, and can go wherever there is a telephone and broadband Internet, but the problem I'm running into is the following:
Mild climate (with 4 seasons, a little snow is okay but no heavy snow or 100+ weather), moderate tax burden, scenic, affordable housing prices -- pick any three.
If you're seriously committed to ignoring the first factor in exchange for being satisfied with the other three, then Pittsburgh PA area might work out.

But ignoring the "mild climate" criteria might prove painful.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One thing to keep in mind from the OPs original list is water. In the future water is supposed to become harder to get out in a lot of the west. Asheville won't have that problem. I can't speak to Maui, but I know they have to get a lot of stuff from the mainland. Not sure if that causes any problems or price issues. Of course, I'm an Easterner, so I'm biased.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you're seriously committed to ignoring the first factor in exchange for being satisfied with the other three, then Pittsburgh PA area might work out.

I've never lived in an area with brutal winters. I *know* I want to get away an area with brutal summers. At one point I was looking at some of those "choose your place" calculators based on our priorities, and the Johnstown/Altoona/State College area was high on the list -- the winters there are the main question mark.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:00 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've never lived in an area with brutal winters. I *know* I want to get away an area with brutal summers. At one point I was looking at some of those "choose your place" calculators based on our priorities, and the Johnstown/Altoona/State College area was high on the list -- the winters there are the main question mark.
I've never lived in an area with brutal summers. I have lived in Pittsburgh, PA, and I've lived in several places in Canada. By those standards, Pittsburgh winters are definitely not "brutal".
Old 08-27-2011, 12:02 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I've never lived in an area with brutal summers. I have lived in Pittsburgh, PA, and I've lived in several places in Canada. By those standards, Pittsburgh winters are definitely not "brutal".
Yeah, true. I've only lived in California and Texas, so I don't have any experience with harsh, snowy winters. As a result I don't know what my tolerance is. If we tried it we'd probably rent a place and live through a winter to see how tolerable it was, especially compared to the summers down here.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 08-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

Mild climate and not so sure about mild taxes.
DS is doing a medical residency there, and as his "tax man," I'm thinking those within the city have a pretty high rate. Perhaps outside the city.
Beyond that, Pittsburgh has morphed into quite a nice city IMO.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Beyond that, Pittsburgh has morphed into quite a nice city IMO.
Yes, everything I've heard suggests that Pittsburgh did a fine job emerging from the depressed, dirty rust-belt city of the 1970s into a rather clean, livable city with a more diversified economy.

Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink View Post
We live in Silver City, New Mexico. Weather is far milder than Santa Fe and views and hiking/biking far better, but it's remote and a small town so might not appeal. We love it though. Low cost of living too.
Ms G and I checked out Silver City before we moved to the Eastern Chiricahua Mtns. So we are 100 miles south a couple of hundred feet lower, and a lot warmer in winter.

I visit my Dentist in SC 3 times a year for cleanings.

Portal AZ/Rodeo NM is a great place for bird and critter watching, and outdoor everything, but a little to remote for most folks.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:35 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil24 View Post
This is where I want to live when I retire. Any ideas? We've been looking at Asheville, NC, Santa Fe, NM, Maui - big reach.

Where do you recommend?
Semi tongue in cheek but not totally. How about Jimmy Buffetts original stomping ground. Aka 'The Redneck Riviera'. The Gulf Coast stretch between roughly Gulf Port MS and the Florida Panhandle past say Destin or even a little further.

heh heh heh -
Old 08-27-2011, 03:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Semi tongue in cheek but not totally. How about Jimmy Buffetts original stomping ground. Aka 'The Redneck Riviera'. The Gulf Coast stretch between roughly Gulf Port MS and the Florida Panhandle past say Destin or even a little further.

heh heh heh -
Ocean Springs, Mississippi East of Biloxi, is artsy, on the water, mild temps. When I lived in Hattisburg MS, taxes were good.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
One thing to keep in mind from the OPs original list is water. In the future water is supposed to become harder to get out in a lot of the west. Asheville won't have that problem. I can't speak to Maui, but I know they have to get a lot of stuff from the mainland. Not sure if that causes any problems or price issues. Of course, I'm an Easterner, so I'm biased.
Maui doesn't have to get water from the mainland, at least. The Wikipedia entry for Maui has this:
Quote:
Most recent years have brought droughts and the ʻĪao aquifer is being drawn from rates above 18 million U.S. gallons (68,000 m3) per day, possibly more than the aquifer can sustain. Recent estimates indicate that the total potential supply of potable water on Maui is around 476 million U.S. gallons (1,800,000 m3) per day, many times greater than any foreseeable demand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maui
Old 08-27-2011, 11:47 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I can't speak to Maui, but I know they have to get a lot of stuff from the mainland. Not sure if that causes any problems or price issues. Of course, I'm an Easterner, so I'm biased.
Naw, here in Hawaii we get our stuff from the same place all you guys get your stuff: China.

Of course the ship stops here first.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, everything I've heard suggests that Pittsburgh did a fine job emerging from the depressed, dirty rust-belt city of the 1970s into a rather clean, livable city with a more diversified economy.
I've read good things about Pittsburgh too. But it's a good idea to rent thru a winter first. Having lived in Ohio and Indiana for 29 years of my life, about the same latitude, winters can be awful. Annual snowfall for Pittsburgh is about 30 inches, some years will be less, but some more. A white Christmas is nice, but after that it gets old really fast. By March or sooner every winter I often ask myself 'why the hell do we live here?'

Summers can get warm too, but it's relatively nice here during summer. We had two days last week with high's below 80F, wonderful. And I spent years 3 years in Dallas and 4 in San Antonio so I know Texas weather. Texas has been brutally hot and dry (water restrictions?) this year.

After extensive research I have found the city with the best climate in the USA, it's Santa Barbara CA. Too bad the cost of living, politics, etc. are beyond my tolerance for pain.

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:21 AM   #35
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Mild climate and not so sure about mild taxes.
For retiree's, PA is in the top 10 for "tax friendly":

State-by-State Guide to Taxes on Retirees
Old 08-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

After extensive research I have found the city with the best climate in the USA, it's Santa Barbara CA. Too bad the cost of living, politics, etc. are beyond my tolerance for pain.
I agree. Grew up in Santa Barbara, Pacific Palisades, Santa Monica, then Michigan for 4 years - quite a shock. These days would choose San Luis Obispo or maybe Paso Robles but costs and crowding are prohibitive.

Lake Chapala, Mexico where we lived until recently has if anything a better climate than SoCal. We are among the many not cut out for full-time expat life but know not only snow birds (more than half the gringo population there) but also met a lot of self-described "sweat birds" - folks who live in places like Arizona and Florida who escape to the highlands of Mexico (or Costa Rica, Panama, etc.) for a few months each summer. Perhaps another strategy to consider for some.

Where we are now (Silver City NM) is about as perfect a four season climate as you can find in the lower 48. We'll still feel the need to get away for a couple of months in Jan-Feb. when lows dip into the mid-20's and highs average around 50, but you East Coast folks know that makes us true cold weather wimps. It's all relative though - full-time expats as well as the natives in Mexico put on parkas when the lows get below 60.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Naw, here in Hawaii we get our stuff from the same place all you guys get your stuff: China.

Of course the ship stops here first.
Excellent point.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally View Post
Some of my family live in Santa Fe, which gives us the best of both worlds- we can visit whenever we want, but don't have to live there. My relatives like it, but some things drive them crazy. Their homes are very nice and on the edge of town. They have their homes broken into 2-3 times a year. They have them heavily alarmed, but still it's upsetting to have a window broken and things grabbed before police arrive. The traffic can be bad and the prices for homes can be high. Otherwise, the weather is nice in summer, sunsets gorgeous and there is lots to do.
They have their home broken into 2-3 times a year and they still live there I'd have the for sale sign in the ground 5 minutes after the second break in.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #39

They did move for a few years to Colorado, but moved back for business. They are in the art related business and buyers and successful galleries tend to be in Santa Fe more than CO. They have lots of extra security features plus inside and outside dogs and house sitters when they travel. But I don't think they enjoy Santa Fe nearly as much as the tourists.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:43 AM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post

Live in Silicon Valley rather than Santa Barbara.

For some reason the politics don't bother me much when I'm out on my bike on a 65F day in January or out for a run on a 80F low humidity day in July.