Join Early Retirement Today

Washington, DC visit
Old 02-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Washington, DC visit

My DW and I are taking a trip to DC in about a month. We have several specific museums and exhibits targeted, but will have time to do more than we currently have planed. I haven't visited there as a tourist in at least 10 years.

Any advice or reccommendations? Sites to see? Places to stay? Transportation tips?
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Washington, DC visit
Old 02-23-2005, 10:47 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Go to 1600 pennsylvania avenue holding a sharp stick and try to climb the fence while alternatively uvulating and screaming "The pig Bush must die now!!!".

I guarantee an entertaining experience.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #3

Quote:
Go to 1600 pennsylvania avenue holding a sharp stick and try to climb the fence while alternatively uvulating and screaming "The pig Bush must die now!!!".
I guarantee an entertaining experience.
TH, why do you have to be soooo serious.
Can't you lighten up a bit.

MJ
Old 02-23-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You can get around DC pretty well on the Metro. I've been to DC only a few times but never get tired of the Smithsonian. Also I would go to the National Zoo as I hear it is very good. If you wait a few weeks the weather may be nice.
polloloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Definitely use the Metro to get around. My favorite Museum is Air and Space. The Zoo is great also. Go to Georgetown for dinner one night.
treypar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:40 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice so far. Most of it is helpful. I've already located a Metro map on the internet.

But, of course, not all of the advice was that useful. Come on TH, that was pretty obvious. Why would anyone go to DC if they weren't going to do that.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Even for a hard core LBYM'er - that's a pretty hard core way of avoiding the price of a hotel room - don't forget bail is expensive also.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 03:29 PM   #8

Well, I don't know about that unclemick. Those
DC hotels are expensive. Besides, some of the
most interesting people I have met recently were
in the slammer. It might add to the "adventure".
Bet you a buck Martha will have stories once she gets out in a few weeks

JG
Old 02-24-2005, 12:33 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Guru-

If you want to go to a restaurant and see bigshot lobbyists and politicians - Capital Grille at 6th and Pennsylvanie (the most politically incorrect restaurant I have ever seen, with large chunks of red meat and cigar lockers on display at the entrance). It is a Republican hangout. Alternatively, the Monacle Restaurant on Capitol Hill near the Senate Office Buildings. Site of the sexual escapade which ended John Towers' career.

The national zoo is nice. A half mile walk from the metro. The National Cathedral is splendid, and worth a visit. It's about a mile or a mile and a half from the Woodley Park subway stop (also one of two stops you can use for the zoo). You could take a cab from Woodley Park - I would expect a fare of $5 to $7.

Feel free to write me offline for suggestions. I have been working in DC for the last 25 years, and live in suburban VA.

rapoole
rapoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:59 AM   #10

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Harrington. Great Location, 3 block from the mall, subways and White House, around the corner from Fords theater and the FBI building. Rates were very reasonable for DC. There are also several theaters with walking distance. We enjoyed the Korean war memorial. Get tickets to the Washington Monument and Holocaust Museum on line and mailed to your home, no waiting in line. Contact your congressman's office for free tour's of the Capital and Kennedy Center. Kennedy Center use to have free shows in the afternoon.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Hotel Harrington is probably a good choice. I have not stayed there but my cousin stayed there and thought it a good value. It is convenient.

Capital Grille is good for business dinners, but I think it is a chain now (at least I know they have them in Atlanta and other major cities). My favorite downtown spot is 1789, in Georgetown. It is on the pricey side, but they have special priced dinners during the week, and they also have an early "theatre special" on Saturday that is quite resonable. Last time our admin assistant ate there Alan Greenspan was at the table next to her. It is special occasion, but not stuffy.

Dupont Circle has lots to choose from as well.

http://www.1789restaurant.com/main/index.shtml

Near the Harrington there is The Shakespeare Theatre. If a show is playing I highly recommend (we subscribe)and I recommnend "Teaism" for a quick lunch nearby.

National Cathedral tour is one of my favorites and drive by all the embassies (free)

Museum of the American Indian (Smithsonian) and The Spy Museum are new and have longish lines.

Rent a bicycle and ride the bike paths along the Potomac or the C&O canal very scenic and no cars!

Not sure if you are an NPR listener but their studio tour is also interesting (near Chinatown).

Will try to think of more (figure you have the basic Smithsonian, FDR, Wash Monument, Viet Nam, etc. covered)
Old 02-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
But, of course, not all of the advice was that useful. Come on TH, that was pretty obvious. Why would anyone go to DC if they weren't going to do that.
I just wanted to make sure you werent one of those rubes that didnt know the basics.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:49 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Hotel Idea-

Close to Hotel Harrington - Mariott Residence Inn at 9th and E or F Northwest. Equally convenient to the attractions and much nicer. Don't know about prices, but if it was me I'd check the Residence Inn before I settled on the Harrington.

Cheers,
rapoole2000
rapoole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #14

If you are interested in air travel, be sure to visit the Air and Space facility by the Dulles Airport. You can take a shuttle from the Smithsonian or drive yourself if you have access to a car. There is a huge hangar full of all the planes they don't have room for in the DC building. It is well worth the trip.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:44 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Beware Metro parking lots. They don't accept cash for daily parking, you must by a "Smart Pass" for around 15$, regardless of how many times you park there.

Good places to visit are
National Air and Space Museum (on the mall)
NASM annex (near Dulles Airport).
Natural History Museum (on the mall).
Library of Congress (behind the Capitol).
Avoid the American Indian Museum (been there, boring, overhyped)

Good places to eat are in
Adams Morgan (near the National Zoo)
Avoid Chinatown (nothing left there). Best Asian food is in Rockville/Gaithersburg at New Fortune and Thai Samai (small, out of the way, but excellent for the price). Good brewpub in Frederick (Brewer's Alley).
Check out the 9:30 club if you're into music. Blues Alley is waaay overpriced.

The National Aquarium in the Baltimore Inner Harbor is also a good bet. Harper's Ferry and Charlestown Racetrack (slots) not too far away.

Sometimes good lectures at American Enterprise Institute, Hoover Institute.

You might be in time for Cherry Blossom season at beginning of April. Check it out if you don't have allergies.

Goddard Space Flight center in Greenbelt has tours daily. Model Rocket launches on weekends.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:31 PM   #16

I just got back from my week in Washington, DC. Thanks for the tips and advice -- both posted and sent as email. We had a great trip . . . gorgeous weather . . . interesting days. In case any of you are planning on spending time there in the future, here's my trip report:

The Museum of the American Indian was an incredible disappointment. As many of you know, I am very interested in archaeology and the study of native cultures. So I did not expect this. In fact, this museum was one of our primary destinations for this trip. The building was nice. But after that, it was all downhill.

The highlight of our trip was the National Spy Museum. This museum provides a look at the history of the US --not from the perspective of laws and wars -- but with information, intelligence and covert operations as a focal point. It was very interesting.

The National Art Gallery is world-class. We spent quite a bit of time there and also in the Natural History Museum. I could spend weeks in both muesums. We also spent a day at the National Zoo and visited many of the monuments around the mall. We were there for the Cherry Blossom Festival and watched the parade and spent some time at the street festival associated with that.

We leave for Southern Illinois in a week. Retirement is good.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

In the 1960, CBS sent a camera crew (including my FIL) to shoot the Hope Diamond.

The Smithsonian staff closed off the room behind the display and locked everyone in. The crew set up their shot around a small table and the staff opened up the case. Then they actually PASSED THE HOPE DIAMOND AROUND for everyone to handle. Once they got that out of their systems, everyone was able to concentrate on the shoot and it went much faster. But I doubt this practice was discussed with their insurance agency.

One of the crew (probably my FIL) asked how much the diamond was worth. The staff answered "Priceless." The questioner's rebuttal was "I meant wholesale, not retail!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:47 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I heard about the guy who went up to the white house dressed in black, carrying a couple of suitcases. Had my hopes up for a while...