We are off to check out Northeast Florida next week.

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone got any experience with real estate prices in the JAX, St. Augustine and Palm coast regions? We have never been there before and want to visit at the worst time of year (Summer??). Anyone got any experience with hurricane exposure etc.. All we have read and seen is good. We advertised on CraigList and got a condo on the beach (River) for $800 per month inclusive. We will stay there for 2 months, then look for another rental apartment maybe. Palm Coast seems to tickle our fancy on paper at least. Any input would be good.

SWR

The way I understand it, real estate prices are up, way up. Everything is being rebuilt after last year’s storms. Which brings up another point. If you live in Florida you are going to get hit by a storm, it is just a matter of when. I use to live in Pensacola, every year was a nail bitter to see if your number came up.

ShokWaveRider said:
Anyone got any experience with real estate prices in the JAX, St. Augustine and Palm coast regions? We have never been there before and want to visit at the worst time of year (Summer??). Anyone got any experience with hurricane exposure etc.. All we have read and seen is good. We advertised on CraigList and got a condo on the beach (River) for $800 per
SWR

Just bring lots of money they will love you there. You got a deal on the condo most likely because it is the summer season. The condo would be a lot higher during the "season".

Some folks find summer in Florida unbearable I didn't think it was so bad. The west coast seems less expensive then again it all depends on what you want. Renting first is a great idea do it for at least a year to get a feel for all the seasons. The place changes a lot when the snowbirds arrive! Summer, everyone is glad to see you; Winter is another story.

Kitty

Did any of the previous 2 posters have any Jackonville, St. Aufustine or Palm coast experience. or are you talking about Florida in General? What you both said is very applicable for South Florida and the Pan Handle, but from what I have read and heard, the Northeast's climate is a lot more moderate and forgiving. I am sure there are some people on this board that live near Jax.

SWR

I lived for a short time just north of Jax in GA.
Believe me it got hot and humid there too.
The bugs are something else again.
However it is not summer all the time  :cool:

It is a LOT more expensive on the west coast of Florida than the north/central east coast of Florida!!! It is hot right now in Jax, but no hotter than New York or North Carolina. It was 99 degrees in Raleigh, NC last week and ONLY 92 in Cocoa Beach!!! If you buy a newer property, hurricanes are not much to worry about. We stayed through hurricane Jean (sp?) and had NO damage (we are oceanfront). The worst problem is power outages. Our friends in Jax and St. Augustine also had no damage from the hurricanes that went throught there. There are not too many places that are not at risk from some natural disaster.

We were just up in Jax beach, St. Augustine beach and the Palm Coast a couple of weeks ago looking at investment property. Property along the coast has gone up drastically in the last year (like a lot of places). Our friends in Jax say that there are still some deals to be had 'along the river' but I didn't check those out. We did not find anything that would work for investment.

One example of property values: Our friends in St. Augustine (St Johns co.) bought their lot for $49,000 about 4 years ago, a similar lot across the street is listed for $198,000. They offered $150,000 for it and were turned down. A 1600 sq ft house on a similar lot next door just sold for $450,000.

I believe your best bet for a 'deal' is going to be in Jax.

Beachbumz 8)

Actually, NE Florida is usually spared hurricanes due to the geography of that area...it's kind of recessed in from central FL & the GA/Carolina coasts. St. Auggie is very nice...but the recent boom makes it pricey.

markplus4 said:
Actually, NE Florida is usually spared hurricanes due to the geography of that area...it's kind of recessed in from central FL & the GA/Carolina coasts.  St. Auggie is very nice...but the recent boom makes it pricey.

I agree as far as a direct hit on the coast, but two of the hurricanes last year went right through St. Aug/Jax. Mostly just knocked out power (for several days for some) and a lot of rain.

Beachbumz 8)

ShokWaveRider said:
Anyone got any experience with real estate prices in the JAX, St. Augustine and Palm coast regions? We have never been there before and want to visit at the worst time of year (Summer??). Anyone got any experience with hurricane exposure etc.. All we have read and seen is good. We advertised on CraigList and got a condo on the beach (River) for $800 per month inclusive. We will stay there for 2 months, then look for another rental apartment maybe. Palm Coast seems to tickle our fancy on paper at least.  Any input would be good.

SWR

SWR, I just bought in Fernandina Beach, on Amelia Island.  It's about 25 miles north of JAX.  That area has the lowest chance of being hit by a hurricane (less than 1%) due to the geography and off-shore currents.  I assume that the JAX chances would be similar, since it's so close. Being near the coast to take advantage of the sea breezes helps with the hot summer.  Northern Florida will be much cooler in the winter than southern Florida - you can look at historic averages and records on weather.com to get a comparison.  We checked out some prices in Yulee, which is inland about 12 miles from Amelia.  There were brand new single-family homes going for about $100/sq ft.  The closer you get to the coast, the more it's going to cost.  Good luck.

Patrick

THanks for the Great Info. We have been looking at homes and Land for St. Auggie and Palm Coast. www/homesandland.com and the prices seem about $300k for a nice home on a nice lot. Not near the coast though.

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
THanks for the Great Info.  We have been looking at homes and Land for St. Auggie and Palm Coast.  www/homesandland.com and the prices seem about $300k for a nice home on a nice lot.  Not near the coast though.

SWR

St. Augustine was my wife's second choice. Very nice historic town. Beautiful beaches, too. Drive through there (if you can) on a weekend though, before you buy - it's almost gridlock due to all the tourists.

Patrick

Patrick said:
Drive through there (if you can) on a weekend though, before you buy - it's almost gridlock due to all the tourists.  Patrick
Always wise advice, but remember also that the first thing most ERs give up is leaving the house on weekends...

Patrick said:
St. Augustine was my wife's second choice.  Very nice historic town.  Beautiful beaches, too.  Drive through there (if you can) on a weekend though, before you buy - it's almost gridlock due to all the tourists. 

Patrick

We are usually there on the weekend and there is a lot of traffic, but it never has been much of a problem and theres always room in the restaurants.

Beachbumz 8)

Well we arrived safely. We are staying in Orange Park and are going to look at a condo in St. Augustine soon. The weather was great driving from Vaginia. But now at 6.00 there is a killer thuderstorm. Tomorow if the weather is good, we will check a few things out.

Any recommendations?

SWR

ShokWaveRider said:
Well we arrives safely. We are staying in Orange Park and are going to look at a condo in St. Augustine soon. The weather was great driving from Vaginia. But now at 6.00 there is a killer thuderstorm. Tomorow if the weather is good, we will check a few things out.

Any recommendations?

SWR

Yep. I have had good luck driving away from vaginas also. Unfortunately,
I eventually changed course and ended up back where I started.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Yep.  I have had good luck driving away from vaginas also.  Unfortunately,
I eventually changed course and ended up back where I started.

JG

This is the first post in over 2 years that I have been here that has made me almost hysterical. I came in to eat a can of sardines, and I am really glad I finished before I read John's post.  :D

Ha

ShokWaveRider said:
The weather was great driving from Vaginia. But now at 6.00 there is a killer thuderstorm. Tomorow if the weather is good, we will check a few things out.

Any recommendations?

SWR

Got a few recommendations, but it's the family hour so I'll hold off for a while :LOL:

HaHa said:
This is the first post in over 2 years that I have been here that has made me almost hysterical.
It didn't make me laugh either...

Back
Top Bottom