Join Early Retirement Today

We pulled the string
Old 05-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

We pulled the string

DW is retiring in mid June and I have been out of the workforce since last july. We are both committed to moving from Maryland to the villages in Florida as soon ad our paid off home sells.

We have taken a couple of visits to the villages in the last year and we both fell in love with the lifestyle there. You only need one car and a golf cart to get around. We figure between all the golf, swimming, and social life, we won't get bored. Also we can hop on a last minute discounted cruise very easily from this location. The only downside that I can see is the lack of diversity that we have living near the Baltimore Washington area. Orlando is a 50 minute drive. This will more then be made up by living in a much lower taxed state.

Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
crispus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congrats and welcome to the club. Be prepared for the low stress and long happy days of doing whatever the heck you want,.

Old 05-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
Administrator

Congratulations, crispus! I hope you can sell your house in a reasonable time, for a reasonable sum.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

WOO HOO!!

Crispus, so glad (and jealous) that you are on your way!!
Old 05-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Won't you miss I-95 and the Beltway?

Seriously, well done! Wishing all the best for you both.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Congrats and welcome to the club. Be prepared for the low stress and long happy days of doing whatever the heck you want,.
Since I retired last July, I have already experienced the much less stressful life. I have lost 40lbs, dropped my anti-anxiety meds, lowered my blood pressure, and most important improved my golf game.
Of all tyrannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies, The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis
Old 05-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Won't you miss I-95 and the Beltway?

Seriously, well done! Wishing all the best for you both.

No, He will have route 4 which is just as exciting ! Congratualtions !
Old 05-16-2011, 05:59 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crispus View Post
Since I retired last July, I have already experienced the much less stressful life. I have lost 40lbs, dropped my anti-anxiety meds, lowered my blood pressure, and most important improved my golf game.
My dear husband's blood pressure has dropped significantly since retirement as of April 1st - about 20 points already!!. One of many reasons I'm happy he retired. His doctor told him this is not unusual.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Moemg, we don't use route 4 to get to the Villages. However my wife commuted to Lakeland fl twice a month from MD and I know all about it.
I did notice that there were no speed calmers in the villages. It was a pleasant surprise. Here in Maryland we can't seem to build enough of them.
C.S. Lewis
Old 05-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
... and most important improved my golf game.
Well, hey, gotta have priorities...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congrats! We've looked at the villages and it seems like it gotta a lot of upside. Enjoy!!

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #12

Congratulations!

Quote:
I did notice that there were no speed calmers in the villages. It was a pleasant surprise. Here in Maryland we can't seem to build enough of them.
What's a speed calmer?
Old 05-16-2011, 11:22 PM   #13

Quote:
and most important improved my golf game.
whoa how did you do that? FIRE is certainly magical to you
Old 05-17-2011, 05:12 AM   #14
gone traveling

Congratulations !
Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireup2020 View Post
What's a speed calmer?
Also known as a speed bump. They are used to slow down traffic in busy areas with lots of pedestrians. They just put one in in the parking lot at work.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:53 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Speed calmers are wider then speed bumps so they are less jarring. I counted 14 of them on my old drive to work. Maryland seems to have a love affair with them.
As for my golf game improving. I was once a one handicap before children. Playing much less I ballooned to a nine. Now I can play as much as I want so I am down to a seven. Most of my improvement comes from much better short game.
C.S. Lewis
Old 05-17-2011, 02:59 PM   #17

Congratulations!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:13 PM   #18

Congratulations and please keep us posted about life in the Villages.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

After you live in Florida for awhile you will realize that we don't need speed calmers we need speed encouragers . A lot of the older population take defensive driving to mean cruising at 20 and after two for one Martini's that is probably a great idea .
Old 05-17-2011, 08:27 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Just for fun

Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi and Johnny Depp as Ed Wood from the movie "Ed Wood". Wish you well Crispus and hope you and spousal unit have much more time to laugh!

YouTube - Ed Wood Pull the string!!