Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Wearing Shoes in the House
Old 05-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We *usually do not wear shoes in the house. *Out where we live
(no sidewalks, no paved driveway, not to mention lots of dog poo * *) the shoes get pretty
messy. *But, we have no rules, just the "reasonable person"
approach for everyone. *I like unclemick's system and we are
kind of fish-campesque here as well.

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyday
Maybe I'm Asian at heart. I don't wear "outside clothes" in bed, at least not pants. Even used to harass my girlfriend when she used to work at jewlery shop (manufacturing) and clothes smelled bad when came home. Tried to get her to change before even sitting on the bed.* (I'm the one with sensitive nose.)

Our shoes stay by front door, we don't bother guests about it, and maybe 1/3 of other houses/apt's I visit have shoes off at door.
Even one house with a dog. Yes, paws get wiped. And something else, too, but lets not discuss that.
Wiping paws is a real pain, and with four dogs, that's ummmmmmmmm,
16 paws!! What we do usually is let the dogs take turns being
"house doggie". They all really like when their turn comes up

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:29 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Three dogs, three cats, three people. Shoes are not my biggest problem...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:38 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by You dont know me
Three dogs, three cats, three people. Shoes are not my biggest problem...
three people
three dogs, three cats, the baby all have excuses but the 2 adults ??
Old 05-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

He's a people too.

By the time the dogs are done with the carpet, i'm probably removing crap from it with my shoes rather than redepositing it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:50 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

If not wearing shoes in your house makes you happy than by all means do it.

Sometimes I wear shoes in the house sometimes I don't when I lived in my RV I didn't wear shoes inside. RVs are small spaces and dirt, sand, muck can make for an unhappy camper.

For the most part I don't worry about it-winter time I leave the shoes/boots at the door keeps the wet and salt out of the living area.

Summer time I go bare foot when I can...it is just not a big deal when you visit do as you please mind that the dogs might lick your toes the cats rub up against you. But that is another issue.....I don't worry about that either...
Kitty
Old 05-22-2005, 09:04 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

The primary reason to remove your shoes is comfort; after a 12-hr shift, I can't wait to get naked ASAP...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 02:58 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I used to never wear shoes, inside or out, but when I was diagnosed as a diabetic I was advised to always wear shoes inside and outside as diabetics can not afford to have any foot infection. Worked for me.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #69
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Well, those of us with a rather, um, casual approach to housekeeping tend to wear shoes in the house because stepping on small, hard things in your socks hurts. Personally, I am pretty clumsy, and when I walk into the furniture, steps, etc., it is a lot less painful if you are wearing shoes.
What he said.

Casual housekeeping also means sticky spots on vinyl.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:14 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I grew up on a farm in a very rural area. Everyone wore shoes in the house. The back door to our house had a metal scraper inbedded into the cement step. You scraped the manure off your shoes and went inside. No big deal.

I made city friends when I went to college and discovered many new things, like broccoli, controlled substances, radical politics, and taking shoes off when you went into a home.
Around these parts of Minnesota - people do it automatically:

">

The trip to visit DW family on a cattle spread in Texas - we started to take them off - they looked at us like we were from another planet - you mean it's alright to wear our shoes in your house cousin Naomi? - "of course- keep 'em on - heaven sakes!..."
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:01 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We live in a penthouse and by the time anyone gets to our door they have walked on more carpet than is in most anyone's house. So we insist on shoes on. We keep ours off for comfort when not entertaining but keep sandals at the door for when we go out on the patio.

We keep the patio clean enough that guests can go in and out without too much adverse impact. Once in a while we have to get the carpets cleaned to compensate.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow - a resurrection!

We generally always take our shoes off in our house. The kids ALWAYS have to take theirs off.

We NEVER ask guests to remove their shoes - as guests, they are allowed rights than our family members don't have! besides, many women consider shoes as part of their outfit and may not want to remove them.

As for additional dirt - we bought a Bissel carpet cleaner (more due to our dog than anything else) and use it monthly or so.
genghis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

No shoes in our house, but we would never ask a guest to remove their shoes. However, when our son was younger (9-10 yrs old), I've heard him tell his company to take their shoes off at the door. "Outside" type shoes in the garage; dress shoes in the closet. You can carry your shoes from the closet to the door and slip them on right before you go out. It's no big deal; it's automatic with us. By the way, our dog gets his feet wiped with a towel before he comes in.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:35 PM   #74
Dryer sheet wannabe

While we don't ask guests to remove their shoes, we do not wear shoes in the house. I generally don't want whatever might be on the floors of public areas (e.g. restrooms) to get on our floors.

I must be even more freakish than I thought as I didn't see any other posts raise this concern. Oh well.
SaveSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:55 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

DW is Swedish, so it's shoes off in our house.

I've read that 75% of dirt on the floor comes in from shoes worn outside.

If someone visits, I let them wear their shoes inside. They usually see the shoes by the door, and ask if they need to take them off. I say it's "shoes optional."

The biggest problem is going in an out a lot, and having to put on/off shoes. I've solved this by using loafer type no-tie shoes most of the time.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 12:48 AM   #76

http://lonniebruner.blogspot.com/2007/01/taking-your-shoes-off-when-entering.html
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:03 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wearing shoes indoors here in Estonia is a big No No. Everyone has little house slippers to wear while inside. And it makes sense especially here as the long snowy winters mean the shoes are usually wet.

But I grew up in the country in rural Virginia and we never gave a second thought to wearing shoes in the house so long as they weren't muddy or wet.

Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 07:51 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Shoes off for me, because if I hate shoes! But I don't expect it of anyone else (although they're certainly welcome to!)
Old 05-28-2007, 11:52 AM   #79

fussy asian here - no shoes in the house - they are in the garage on several shoe shelves, in boxes etc.

the cable guy or furniture delivery person are not asked to take off their shoes, guests are, except if it is a party, and it is impractical, we just clean the floor immediately after they leave.

at least we have wood floors, carpet i'd have anxiety if people were just scrapin off the manure at the door! hehe

my sister's caucasian boyfriend still regularly forgets to take his shoes off at the door and we stare at our sister, until she reminds him - she apparently has tended towards keeping hers on now too!

the shoes on thing explains the mad housewives on shows like wife swap that vacuum every day - what waste of time!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I grew up on a farm in a very rural area. Everyone wore shoes in the house. The back door to our house had a metal scraper inbedded into the cement step. You scraped the manure off your shoes and went inside. No big deal.

I made city friends when I went to college and discovered many new things, like broccoli, controlled substances, radical politics, and taking shoes off when you went into a home.
That's funny Martha. My mom was born and raised on a farm in the midwest. I remember that as a kid, the easiest way to get swat from grandma was to even consider wearing your shoes in the house. I think even my grandfather was afraid of what would happen to him if got a speck of dirt in that house.

As for me, my wife doesn't allow shoes in the house either. I don't mind taking them off, it's more confortable anyway and it makes peace in the house.
saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote