Join Early Retirement Today

Weather in Retirement...
Old 07-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #1
gone traveling

Weather in Retirement...

Being retired for a few years, I've always been happy to note that in the wintertime with snow/ice/etc, I've been very happy to sit in front of the fireplace with the pups, a fine glass of wine, and a good book (or forum ) to read.

Now that the temps have broken the century mark, I'm just as pleased to sit in front of the fireplace (with no fire, but with the central air on), with the pups, a fine glass of wine, and a good book (or forum) to read.

It dosen't matter if it's winter or summer - retirement is great ....
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Where do you live? I'm born and raised in the DC metro area and I've never left. I no longer like snow and ice, and I never liked high temps and humidity. I've dreamed of moving for many many years because of the weather, but as a dentist with an established private practice it is not so simple.

I really like Northern California climate. Eventually my dream would be to own a place in several different parts of the country and just go from place to place to catch the good weather.
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by novaman View Post
Where do you live?
50 miles north of Phila/90 miles west of NYC (OK, now you know ).

BTW, we were on a Baltic cruise in mid-June. Temps were in the high 50's, mid-60's (along with "white nights").

If we had the option, we would have those temps year-round...

As far as moving? That's not in the cards. We have a disabled son who's support services (only obtained after many years of "pain") would not be easily "transferred" to another place (hey, that's life).

Generally we (born and raised here) like the four seasons. If you don't like the weather? Don't worry, it will change in a month or so...
Old 07-07-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
as a dentist with an established private practice it is not so simple.

I was out West a few years ago and talked to a semi retired Dentist whose practice was a mobile dental van. He laughingly described himself as a "migrant worker" and was singing Woodie Guthrie's Pastures of Plenty
He did some charity, some public service (prison) and some private work. A foundation owned the van and split the cost based on the charity work.
Emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
50 miles north of Phila/90 miles west of NYC...
Hey, stay outta my yard!

cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
Hey, stay outta my yard!

Just a bit south of you (near the intersection of I-78 & I-476)
Old 07-07-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Being retired for a few years, I've always been happy to note that in the wintertime with snow/ice/etc, I've been very happy to sit in front of the fireplace with the pups, a fine glass of wine, and a good book (or forum ) to read.

Now that the temps have broken the century mark, I'm just as pleased to sit in front of the fireplace (with no fire, but with the central air on), with the pups, a fine glass of wine, and a good book (or forum) to read.

I have noticed that rainy days don't bother me at all, now that I am retired. We have plenty of time to wait until the rain stops, and then plenty of time afterwards as well. We got 10" of rain in June, and while it was unusual it didn't ruin a single day for us and I never got wet, even once.

Sometimes the rain is heavy enough to slow or stop traffic on the interstate. That doesn't bother me, either, if we happen to get caught in it. It's not like we are in a rush to get someplace! We can talk, or listen to the radio, or I can read out loud from my Kindle, until we can get off the interstate.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have noticed that rainy days don't bother me at all, now that I am retired. We have plenty of time to wait until the rain stops, and then plenty of time afterwards as well.
So true for me, too! I have always been a bit of a weather addict, and watch at least one news/weather segment every day. When I was working, I'd start wailing if I saw rain predicted for my precious weekend (which was inevitably followed by a beautiful Monday). Now I just watch unemotionally and try to figure out how I will arrange my days to accomodate the weather. It's all good now.
ksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #9

My original "retirement plan" was to put the snow thrower in the back of the pickup truck and drive south until people started asking what it was.

DW had other ideas, her criteria being within one hour of her father, brother, and favorite niece. Then I realized that if I'm retired I wouldn't have to go out in the snow anyway. In hindsight she was right, she's much happier with this location. And as every guy knows, "if she ain't happy, ain't nobody happy".
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm glad I chose the right climate to retire to. Yesterday's high was 62 degrees, which is unusually warm.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've dreamed of moving for many many years because of the weather, but as a dentist with an established private practice it is not so simple.

I really like Northern California climate. Eventually my dream would be to own a place in several different parts of the country and just go from place to place to catch the good weather.
Once you retire, if family or friends are not keeping you around DC, move to California. You will not have to become a seasonal nomad, as it is just about perfect all year. Northern, Southland, it is all A-OK as long as you stay very close to the water. As in LA, no farther east than Hollywood, and better toward the west from there. In NoCal, Oakland and Berkeley are great, as is Marin to the north. One of my friends moved to Orinda from suburban Seattle and she can't stop smiling. It can get a bit warm our there though.

I live in Seattle, which beats the heck out of the East Coast or Midwest, but it is a long way from perfect.

Ha
Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Where do you live? I'm born and raised in the DC metro area and I've never left. I no longer like snow and ice, and I never liked high temps and humidity. I've dreamed of moving for many many years because of the weather, but as a dentist with an established private practice it is not so simple.

I'm in NOVA and also dislike snow/ice/heat/humidity. We've had plenty of all 4 this past year Love the weather in California (expecially San Diego) but love friends and family here more.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Just a bit south of you (near the intersection of I-78 & I-476)
Many years ago had a second home in Hunterdon County (near the Delaware) when I lived in NYC. Nice area with the rolling hills and the four seasons aren't too extreme...
LARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #14

We are sick of winter in general, but we have discussed the possibility that in retirement we could always leave for the winter. I would think a few weeks spent in Arizona or Florida in January or February would make the rest of winter tolerable. Then again, why not just move there? Honestly we could stand the cold winter, if we had a spring, but often times December and January are colder but nicer than March and April. then the wind start blowing and it may be warmer, but it doesn't seem like it. This year that lasted until mid June. Cold, wind, snow and rain (and not the pleasant kind). Maybe we hate spring.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't like the dead of winter, but I love the other three seasons. If I get tired of snow here in northern Utah, I go to our home in St. George, UT, where it almost never snows and the winter temperatures are mild.

I go running 3 days a week. I enjoy running in any weather except rain and extreme heat. I try to go biking 2-3 times a week, but I won't go in bad weather. I just set up my indoor trainer, put my road bike on it, turn on the TV, and cycle away.

Yep, you're right. Weather is no big deal when you're retired.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #16

As I mentioned in another thread, we plan to use an RV to seek the weather that suits us. Migrating in search of 70 deg. F. That's the ticket!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankster View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, we plan to use an RV to seek the weather that suits us. Migrating in search of 70 deg. F. That's the ticket!
"Goin' where the weather suits my clothes...."
Old 07-07-2010, 06:37 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I thought of starting a thread just like this one but am just as happy to reply to yours.

It is on days like these here on Long Island, just east of NYC, that I am so glad I don't have to deal with the trains and those hot-as-hell underground platforms in the commute to my former office. The air on those platforms was often 15 degrees warmer than outside so if it is 100F outside it is 115F underground, making it tough to breathe sometimes while awaiting the next train.

I much prefer going to my co-op complex's pool to read or splash around for a while, or be inside my apartment with the A/C on than going through that stuff. The winter time has other annoyances on the cold side making me glad to be inside in my nice, warm place.

My electric bill is higher than it was when I was working but it very much worth it.

As you wrote, it doesn't matter if it is winter or summer - retirement is great!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Lived both extremes and agree that whichever climate you live in, there is always something you miss about the other climate, at least part of the year.

Ultimately we agreed that we'd prefer to live where it's warm and get away to cool down once in a while, rather than the opposite. Like the option of being outside virtually anytime, eating al fresco, etc. But at least a few days a year it would sure be nice sitting around a warm fire watching the snow flakes fall. Assuming someone else is shoveling the next day.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Rich, I like different weather conditions too. Variety is the spice of life, after all. How sad it would be to never experience again the gusts of wind and darkness just before a storm, or to never experience again the perfect sunny day?

I get a kick out of it all unless the weather has been the same for so long as to be tedious, as the long, hot summers can become in the South, or as the long, cold winters can be up North.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote