Weird vacation/entertainment idea

ArkTinkerer

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just a bizarre thought...

Walmart and other corporations seem to throw a pretty good party for their stockholder meetings. Anyone ever contemplate buying one share of a number of companies just to be able to attend the shareholder meetings for "free" food and entertainment? Might make for an interesting road trip...

I wonder if there is a list of the best ones to go to? I own stock in a local company, but never managed to make it to the meetings.

If you arranged all possible vacation/entertainment ideas in order of how much they appeal to me, this one would be right at the bottom! Sorry. :D

I'd rather spend the afternoon with my honey. Oh, that's right! That's what my plans are for this afternoon. :dance:

Just a bizarre thought...

Walmart and other corporations seem to throw a pretty good party for their stockholder meetings. Anyone ever contemplate buying one share of a number of companies just to be able to attend the shareholder meetings for "free" food and entertainment? Might make for an interesting road trip...

:) That idea would only enhance my Plan C for retirement housing: take an RV and visit the parking lot of every Walmart in North America, since they allow overnight stays. If I also was a shareholder, that clearly would enhance the experience!

:) That idea would only enhance my Plan C for retirement housing: take an RV and visit the parking lot of every Walmart in North America, since they allow overnight stays. If I also was a shareholder, that clearly would enhance the experience!
There are some WalMarts in Houston where I doubt you would have any wheels on your RV in the morning.

The OP is correct when he said that attending annual meetings is a weird form of entertainment.

Hey, I admit its weird but google Berkshire Hathaway and read about their day long shareholders meetings. Walmart usually has top line singers on the schedule. Now Berkshire may be a bit pricy but Walmart shares aren't that bad. In either case, getting admission to an event that would cost you $100+ would be an interesting ROI for a small investment. I wonder if there is a website that ranks shareholder meetings in terms of entertainment value?

You could always incorporate for yourself, and throw a corporate party on a cruise line or at a resort. I think the IRS allows up to $2000 per person.

Of course, you would have to talk about business most of the days.

Seeing as this would be an investment, I'd guess the travel expense would be tax deductible to boot!

Many years ago, I got to play a round of golf for free at what used to be a Playboy club in Wisconsin because I owned stock in the company that bought the club. There was a buffet lunch, too. Sorry to say, that perk only lasted one year. I did get free french fries one year for owning stock in McDonald's. That didn't last either.

You could always incorporate for yourself, and throw a corporate party on a cruise line or at a resort. I think the IRS allows up to $2000 per person.

Of course, you would have to talk about business most of the days.

Have to talk to the accountant about this one! That LLC for the rental property may be worth more than just lawsuit protection!

I took an Alaska cruise once with this company:

Conferences - Seacourses Cruises

I was on the board of a professional association and we had our annual conference on board. The tuition (a substantial part of the fare) was tax deductible. My association made money on the trip, which was vey well subscribed, and we had a blast!

Many years ago, I got to play a round of golf for free at what used to be a Playboy club in Wisconsin because I owned stock in the company that bought the club. There was a buffet lunch, too. Sorry to say, that perk only lasted one year. I did get free french fries one year for owning stock in McDonald's. That didn't last either.

These are great! Anyone know other interesting perks to particular company stocks?

DH and I went to the B-H meeting for about 5 years in a row. We live 3 hours away so it wasn't a major trip for us. We stopped going: Warren and Charlie tend to make the same basic points every meeting (they're very good points, but we know them by now). The movie at the beginning is usually pretty good and includes a few celebrities (I remember Susan Lucci, John Clees, Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jamie Lee Curtis). They stopped taking questions from the audience because inevitably you'd get someone's cute little kid who had to recite a poem first, or someone with a political agenda. Now the questions are collected in advance and posed by 3 business journalists, which is a big improvement.

They charge for food and it's awful, sports-arena-type stuff. DH and I started bringing our own and fortunately it's not prohibited. The exhibit hall is great- you can get B-H branded food there such as DQ, See's Candies, etc. Shareholders get decent discounts on many B-H company products. I have a pair of Justin Boots that I bought at a discount of something like $100. I'd like to go back and get another pair but DH has pointed out (quite reasonably) that it's cheaper to pay full price closer to home than do an overnight stay in Omaha.

Depending on the company, you may have to reserve your hotel very early. My guess is that pickings in Omaha for the B-H weekend (early May) are probably at extreme ends of the price scale right now. DH and I always laughed at how many people at the hotels we stayed (typically Hampton Inn or similar) were wearing the tags you need to get into the B-H meeting and enjoying the hotel breakfast included in the room rate.

Well, there is a bit of a cult following for the concept: "It was a beautiful day for 14,759 shareholders and guests to attend the Green Bay Packers Shareholders Meeting on July 24" which was for the 2014 Annual Meeting of Shareholders at Lambeau Field. But of course the not so fine print on the 2011 offering did state "Common stock does not constitute an investment in 'stock' in the common sense of the term. Purchasers should not purchase common stock with the purpose of making a profit."

But my one share lost nothing recently... ;)

I went to one shareholder meeting ... can you say "BORING !" And there was not a "perk" to be found - unless going through a metal detector can be considered a perk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom