Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-02-2014, 08:25 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Sounds like you are a little apprehensive about starting your new life. A few thoughts:

- Is there something you enjoy doing during the day that is miserable on weekends due to crowds? This is a good time to do it!

- Don't try to make a busy schedule for yourself. You really do need to detox.

- Exercise is always good. As is a nice glass of wine or your favorite adult beverage (after 5:30)

- Making lists of things you want to do now that the big day has come can be helpful. Just don't overload yourself with projects, make sure there is plenty of fun stuff. And doin' nothin' can be a ton of fun!

Congratulations and enjoy!
Thank you. I have a few things on a list in my head to do tomorrow, but probably the main one is to feed the crows that wait for me in my driveway. Not too ambitious! I have family to call and tell the news but it is only people who are supportive. DH's parents think we should work until we drop dead so we decided that we will not tell them when we quit our jobs, but just give vague answers.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorm1 View Post
I was in a similar situation working in IT. I quit in June of this this year. I've never felt better. However after 3 months I am thinking I should have tried to get disability or something. Working the system. I hate when you get pushed into a desperate situation. You have a skill that you can always use. If after a while when you decompress and feel like you want to do something, do it on your terms.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Yes, I really didn't like feeling pushed into a desperate situation either. I felt like I couldn't leave on my terms, but I guess I really still did, but it just happened earlier than I planned. Also sneaking out the door felt strange. One of the reasons we worked some extra years was so that we would never have to go back to work. I'm really done with nursing, but it has definitely given me good life skills. It's sad how many of our jobs turn toxic.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

This is the best thing that could have happened at this point in your life. I left a very stressful job about four months ago, and I think it took me about three months before I was really de-stressed. It really can take a while. Agree with most that has been said here - sleep, read, run, hike, or whatever you like to do, whenever you want to do it.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unpaintedhuffhines View Post
This is the best thing that could have happened at this point in your life. I left a very stressful job about four months ago, and I think it took me about three months before I was really de-stressed. It really can take a while. Agree with most that has been said here - sleep, read, run, hike, or whatever you like to do, whenever you want to do it.
Wow, thank you for your insights. You are probably right, the situation was not sustainable and I did manage to get out before completely imploding. Now it is time to heal. I'm glad to hear that you are in a better place now as well.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First of all CONGRATS! You now can get on with the rest of your life.

I have been FIREd for 7 years (this last July). I would guess my departure was little more planned then yours, but it is essentially the same. Go ahead and relax. One of the most striking differences that I noticed was how much stress I had been under and did NOT realize it. I now sleep when tired, wake when I am not, busy doing what I want. I am however, busier then ever. I have to actually plan out time for things that must be done, but are not the 'fun' part of life.

Take your time and decompress. Then see what 'rings your bell' and pursue ...
Best of luck to you. ... and go ahead and enjoy life now
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
We are required to give 3 weeks notice to get our vacation paid out

Hmm, Im not sure thats a thing. Might be illegal.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-02-2014, 10:14 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Any ideas to detoxify?
Got any vodka?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Got any vodka?
Red wine or the occasional scotch or cognac also works... but only if you are persistent.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Your screen name tells me you have a sense of humor. Once you detox a bit, I imagine that sense of humor and playfulness will come to the surface and be with you as you git it all figgered out.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-02-2014, 11:59 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, since I don't drink alcohol I was thinking something along the lines of a Peanut Buster Parfait at Dairy Queen

Oh now we're talkin'!!! My DQ drug of choice.

... just don't make a habit of it. Or, not too much of a habit.

Congrats on the next phase of you life!

I'll now go fantasize about PBParfaits
Old 09-03-2014, 12:01 AM   #31

Congratulations on making your decision to retire and executing it!

Take your time to relax and detox. I bet your cats can help show you the way to true relaxation. They really know how it's done.

Take care and enjoy your new found freedom.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:36 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you so much for everyone's kind thoughts and great suggestions! Today is a new day. While I still had to take exedrin at 2AM I was actually able to get back to sleep afterwards and slept better than I have in months. Hopefully the nightly (and daily) headaches will soon be a thing of the past.

I also did a slow but respectable jog this AM. A few errands to run but otherwise time to relax. It is starting to sink in : I am now retired at age 45.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #33

Quote:
Thank you for your post. I guess tomorrow is the first day of a new life. I've been looking forward to it for several years now, but it still didn't happen the way I'd planned. But at least it is done. I was surprised by how much I was bothered by toxic coworkers while being fully aware that I didn't need to be there. I didn't think it was burnout because I liked the patients (hospice) and the work, and I still did a good job, but good grief I had some nasty coworkers. Well now it is time to look ahead.
First, as many others have said, congratulations and look forward to the rest of your life doing what you want to do. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress and clear your head.

Your job sounds like my wife's. She is an RN and works hospice also. Works at VA, and loves most of the patients She has had some bad co-workers and mgrs, and some great ones. The key for her is to develop the good relationships and limit the bad ones effect. Not always successful, but it seems all work environments have similar issues.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Thank you so much for everyone's kind thoughts and great suggestions! Today is a new day. While I still had to take exedrin at 2AM I was actually able to get back to sleep afterwards and slept better than I have in months. Hopefully the nightly (and daily) headaches will soon be a thing of the past.

I also did a slow but respectable jog this AM. A few errands to run but otherwise time to relax. It is starting to sink in : I am now retired at age 45.
As someone who also retired at 45, I congratulate you!

I had been working part-time for 7 years before I fully retired at 45, so there wasn't a huge transition from working only a few days a week to not working t all. You'll get by, I am sure. Maybe you can take daily afternoon naps like I do; it's the best sleep I get.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #35

Congratulations on entering this new phase of your life. I hope your transition from work to retirement is as enjoyable as mine has been.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:54 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
One of the most striking differences that I noticed was how much stress I had been under and did NOT realize it.
That was a bit of a surprise to me as well. It was such a strange feeling, not being under the stress, that at first I didn't understand what was "wrong" or more accurately, different.

And it was a bit weird too to not have anything scheduled, or day-to-day plans. From kindergarten on we're told we have to "do this", "be that", "learn this" so set goals, and we do it all our lives.

Then, suddenly, all that is gone and you have the freedom to do, or not do, almost anything you want.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

This happened to my boyfriend last Thursday, he was going to work but instead called his boss to say he wasn't coming. He was fed up with work and had been waiting for a new union contract but found that he would get retro anything in the new contract. He was ready to retire in a week or two or last Thursday and Thursday won. So far he spent it killing weeds and mowing the lawn and going to dentist. He is coming to my house now to get his fish cleaning station I built for him as a house warming gift for his house on a river. I will go to his house tomorrow to help him unload it and help him catch some fish, then come home in a few days if I get bored. Retired is good, you don't need a plan, just do it.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, what a difference 3 days makes. I can sleep!!!! I wondered if I would have regrets, but certainly not now. The cats usually start waking us by around 5AM (we are morning people) but the last few days even they have been letting me sleep until close to 7AM. One of the things that strikes me is that during the day I have had this sudden realization that I feel calm. What a pleasant feeling.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Note that he didn't say it had to be 5:30 where you are...
AM or PM?
Old 09-05-2014, 03:59 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
AM or PM?
In the right circumstances it doesn't matter. When I was working shift work one of my neighbors did too. After a midnight shift we thought it quite all right to have "Miller time" at 7:30 AM.