Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2014, 04:50 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Pullmyfinger, in addition to what I wrote above, don't be surprised if you experience a wave of emotions in the next few weeks. It's completely normal to find ourselves, surprise, mourning the loss of our 'old' selves, because we don't yet know who our new self will be. It it occurs, which it did to me, even though I was ecstatic to have achieved FIRE and be able to give notice, it should pass within a few days.
+1... Good post and this was my experience..

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:46 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullmyfinger View Post
Wow, what a difference 3 days makes. I can sleep!!!! I wondered if I would have regrets, but certainly not now. The cats usually start waking us by around 5AM (we are morning people) but the last few days even they have been letting me sleep until close to 7AM. One of the things that strikes me is that during the day I have had this sudden realization that I feel calm. What a pleasant feeling.
Talking about sleep....I kept up with caffeine after I left work several months ago. In the last month I quit completely, and I'm telling you, it's great. You get sleepy, you take a nap! What a concept! My night time sleep is much sounder too. Now caffeine is the execption rather than the rule.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:54 PM   #43

Congratulation on being able to leave a bad situation on your own terms. I did that last May although I'm older (61). In our case we had an Alaskan cruise scheduled in July so I couldn't take on any major commitments. That turned out to be a good cooling-off period. You need that.

I'm now taking a Geology class at the local community college and have devoted more time to volunteer work but still have enough unstructured time. Life is good. You'll find your equilibrium, too.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:33 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
Pullmyfinger, in addition to what I wrote above, don't be surprised if you experience a wave of emotions in the next few weeks. It's completely normal to find ourselves, surprise, mourning the loss of our 'old' selves, because we don't yet know who our new self will be. It it occurs, which it did to me, even though I was ecstatic to have achieved FIRE and be able to give notice, it should pass within a few days.
It's been 10 days now and I really, really appreciate this advice. While my overwhelming feeling is relief, I have had some moments of "Am I really sure I am done working?" But I've found that on the days I had those thoughts I had very weird and upsetting work related dreams so I think I have my answer. But I really love being able to sleep!

I have forgotten to put on my watch for several of these 10 days, and while DH is still working a little longer (he can quit whenever he wants) he is less stressed because I am no longer stressed.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Congratulation on being able to leave a bad situation on your own terms. I did that last May although I'm older (61). In our case we had an Alaskan cruise scheduled in July so I couldn't take on any major commitments. That turned out to be a good cooling-off period. You need that.

I'm now taking a Geology class at the local community college and have devoted more time to volunteer work but still have enough unstructured time. Life is good. You'll find your equilibrium, too.
I like the idea of a cooling off period. In some ways I feel like I should immediately start volunteering at the fabulous nearby cat shelter - which is something I definitely want to do- I will be in a more stable place mentally in a couple of months.

I would love to take some college classes! Or at least practice my German. Thank you for the good wishes.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:38 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Talking about sleep....I kept up with caffeine after I left work several months ago. In the last month I quit completely, and I'm telling you, it's great. You get sleepy, you take a nap! What a concept! My night time sleep is much sounder too. Now caffeine is the execption rather than the rule.
That is a excellent idea. I have been a diet coke addict for way to long and this is a good time to start addressing some of those habits.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Late to the thread but think of something you really like to do but haven't been able to find the time- take an hour and do what ever it is. Then realize that what you've been working for years to get to is here! Best of luck to you and your DH when he joins you.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
While my overwhelming feeling is relief, I have had some moments of "Am I really sure I am done working?" But I've found that on the days I had those thoughts I had very weird and upsetting work related dreams so I think I have my answer.
I'm about as far into early retirement as you are, and I've also been having work-related dreams these past few days. Let's call them withdrawal nightmares. I think they're our subconscious mind's way of telling us, "Whatever you do, make sure you never place yourself in that situation again!"
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:04 PM   #49

Quote:

I would love to take some college classes! Or at least practice my German. Thank you for the good wishes.

If you're into podcasts , taggeschau.de is a German video news podcast. I watch it during my workout and it's done wonders for my vocabulary.