Well, I guess life after FIRE starts today

Your screen name tells me you have a sense of humor. Once you detox a bit, I imagine that sense of humor and playfulness will come to the surface and be with you as you git it all figgered out.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Well, since I don't drink alcohol I was thinking something along the lines of a Peanut Buster Parfait at Dairy Queen>:D

Oh now we're talkin'!!! My DQ drug of choice.

... just don't make a habit of it. Or, not too much of a habit. :cool:

Congrats on the next phase of you life!

I'll now go fantasize about PBParfaits :smitten:

Congratulations on making your decision to retire and executing it!

Take your time to relax and detox. I bet your cats can help show you the way to true relaxation. They really know how it's done. :)

Take care and enjoy your new found freedom.

Thank you so much for everyone's kind thoughts and great suggestions! Today is a new day. While I still had to take exedrin at 2AM I was actually able to get back to sleep afterwards and slept better than I have in months. Hopefully the nightly (and daily) headaches will soon be a thing of the past.

I also did a slow but respectable jog this AM. A few errands to run but otherwise time to relax. It is starting to sink in : I am now retired at age 45.

Thank you for your post. I guess tomorrow is the first day of a new life. I've been looking forward to it for several years now, but it still didn't happen the way I'd planned. But at least it is done. I was surprised by how much I was bothered by toxic coworkers while being fully aware that I didn't need to be there. I didn't think it was burnout because I liked the patients (hospice) and the work, and I still did a good job, but good grief I had some nasty coworkers. Well now it is time to look ahead.

First, as many others have said, congratulations and look forward to the rest of your life doing what you want to do. Exercise is a great way to relieve stress and clear your head.

Your job sounds like my wife's. She is an RN and works hospice also. Works at VA, and loves most of the patients She has had some bad co-workers and mgrs, and some great ones. The key for her is to develop the good relationships and limit the bad ones effect. Not always successful, but it seems all work environments have similar issues.

Thank you so much for everyone's kind thoughts and great suggestions! Today is a new day. While I still had to take exedrin at 2AM I was actually able to get back to sleep afterwards and slept better than I have in months. Hopefully the nightly (and daily) headaches will soon be a thing of the past.

I also did a slow but respectable jog this AM. A few errands to run but otherwise time to relax. It is starting to sink in : I am now retired at age 45.

As someone who also retired at 45, I congratulate you! :)

I had been working part-time for 7 years before I fully retired at 45, so there wasn't a huge transition from working only a few days a week to not working t all. You'll get by, I am sure. Maybe you can take daily afternoon naps like I do; it's the best sleep I get.

Congratulations on entering this new phase of your life. I hope your transition from work to retirement is as enjoyable as mine has been.

One of the most striking differences that I noticed was how much stress I had been under and did NOT realize it.

That was a bit of a surprise to me as well. It was such a strange feeling, not being under the stress, that at first I didn't understand what was "wrong" or more accurately, different.

And it was a bit weird too to not have anything scheduled, or day-to-day plans. From kindergarten on we're told we have to "do this", "be that", "learn this" so set goals, and we do it all our lives.

Then, suddenly, all that is gone and you have the freedom to do, or not do, almost anything you want.

Last edited:
This happened to my boyfriend last Thursday, he was going to work but instead called his boss to say he wasn't coming. He was fed up with work and had been waiting for a new union contract but found that he would get retro anything in the new contract. He was ready to retire in a week or two or last Thursday and Thursday won. So far he spent it killing weeds and mowing the lawn and going to dentist. He is coming to my house now to get his fish cleaning station I built for him as a house warming gift for his house on a river. I will go to his house tomorrow to help him unload it and help him catch some fish, then come home in a few days if I get bored. Retired is good, you don't need a plan, just do it.

Wow, what a difference 3 days makes. I can sleep!!!! I wondered if I would have regrets, but certainly not now. The cats usually start waking us by around 5AM (we are morning people) but the last few days even they have been letting me sleep until close to 7AM. One of the things that strikes me is that during the day I have had this sudden realization that I feel calm. What a pleasant feeling.

AM or PM? :D

In the right circumstances it doesn't matter. When I was working shift work one of my neighbors did too. After a midnight shift we thought it quite all right to have "Miller time" at 7:30 AM.

Pullmyfinger, in addition to what I wrote above, don't be surprised if you experience a wave of emotions in the next few weeks. It's completely normal to find ourselves, surprise, mourning the loss of our 'old' selves, because we don't yet know who our new self will be. It it occurs, which it did to me, even though I was ecstatic to have achieved FIRE and be able to give notice, it should pass within a few days.

+1... Good post and this was my experience..

Wow, what a difference 3 days makes. I can sleep!!!! I wondered if I would have regrets, but certainly not now. The cats usually start waking us by around 5AM (we are morning people) but the last few days even they have been letting me sleep until close to 7AM. One of the things that strikes me is that during the day I have had this sudden realization that I feel calm. What a pleasant feeling.
Talking about sleep....I kept up with caffeine after I left work several months ago. In the last month I quit completely, and I'm telling you, it's great. You get sleepy, you take a nap! What a concept! My night time sleep is much sounder too. Now caffeine is the execption rather than the rule.

Congratulation on being able to leave a bad situation on your own terms. I did that last May although I'm older (61). In our case we had an Alaskan cruise scheduled in July so I couldn't take on any major commitments. That turned out to be a good cooling-off period. You need that.

I'm now taking a Geology class at the local community college and have devoted more time to volunteer work but still have enough unstructured time. Life is good. You'll find your equilibrium, too.

Pullmyfinger, in addition to what I wrote above, don't be surprised if you experience a wave of emotions in the next few weeks. It's completely normal to find ourselves, surprise, mourning the loss of our 'old' selves, because we don't yet know who our new self will be. It it occurs, which it did to me, even though I was ecstatic to have achieved FIRE and be able to give notice, it should pass within a few days.

It's been 10 days now and I really, really appreciate this advice. While my overwhelming feeling is relief, I have had some moments of "Am I really sure I am done working?" But I've found that on the days I had those thoughts I had very weird and upsetting work related dreams so I think I have my answer. But I really love being able to sleep!

I have forgotten to put on my watch for several of these 10 days, and while DH is still working a little longer (he can quit whenever he wants) he is less stressed because I am no longer stressed.

Congratulation on being able to leave a bad situation on your own terms. I did that last May although I'm older (61). In our case we had an Alaskan cruise scheduled in July so I couldn't take on any major commitments. That turned out to be a good cooling-off period. You need that.

I'm now taking a Geology class at the local community college and have devoted more time to volunteer work but still have enough unstructured time. Life is good. You'll find your equilibrium, too.

I like the idea of a cooling off period. In some ways I feel like I should immediately start volunteering at the fabulous nearby cat shelter - which is something I definitely want to do- I will be in a more stable place mentally in a couple of months.

I would love to take some college classes! Or at least practice my German. Thank you for the good wishes.

Talking about sleep....I kept up with caffeine after I left work several months ago. In the last month I quit completely, and I'm telling you, it's great. You get sleepy, you take a nap! What a concept! My night time sleep is much sounder too. Now caffeine is the execption rather than the rule.

That is a excellent idea. I have been a diet coke addict for way to long and this is a good time to start addressing some of those habits.

Late to the thread but think of something you really like to do but haven't been able to find the time- take an hour and do what ever it is. Then realize that what you've been working for years to get to is here! Best of luck to you and your DH when he joins you.

While my overwhelming feeling is relief, I have had some moments of "Am I really sure I am done working?" But I've found that on the days I had those thoughts I had very weird and upsetting work related dreams so I think I have my answer.

I'm about as far into early retirement as you are, and I've also been having work-related dreams these past few days. Let's call them withdrawal nightmares. I think they're our subconscious mind's way of telling us, "Whatever you do, make sure you never place yourself in that situation again!"

I would love to take some college classes! Or at least practice my German. Thank you for the good wishes.

If you're into podcasts , taggeschau.de is a German video news podcast. I watch it during my workout and it's done wonders for my vocabulary.

Back
Top Bottom