Re: Were The Hippies Right?
Old 05-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2

I'm confused - and I was there!

That proves YOU were there.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't help but laugh at the arrogance of the "hippie" generation I see here, conveniently ignoring the many problems the next generations have inherited from them. Take a look a the children of today, the "norms" they embrace, the grasshopper attitude so many people have (rather than the ant, putting away for a rainy day) and the negative savings rate the nation has, the way many corporations now operate, the life is cheap attitude (abortion), common politeness not so common, chivalry considered sexist and the castration of many things considered masculine.

The disregard for individual freedoms in the name of political correctness, thought crimes (rating a crime's punishment based on "hate" as if white on white or black on black crime is any less hateful than a white/black crime) and the left's attitude of win power no matter what the cost in Iraq (remember the recent comments about "this will win us seats"?). The "let government take care of us so long as someone else pays for it" attitude of so many entitlement programs (Bush is no better in this regard with the prescription drug program). Gun control without regard to statistics which show how many crimes are prevented due to guns and the fact that criminals will have guns with or without gun control. The "if it feels good do it" attitude without regard to your fellow man. The thought that a Prius is environmentally and/or economically a good choice when the non-hybrid version of this car actually costs less over the long haul and has less environmental impact. The hypocrisy of "leaders" like Gore who preach conservation yet practice just the opposite (and then have the gall to purchase "carbon credits" from their own companies!). The price over quality attitude. Offices where cussing is the norm and the "f word" becoming acceptable part of every day speech. Spitting on soldiers. Civil rights "leaders" turning into opportunistic race-pimps. The drug culture.

Yup... the hippies had it right. Gag.
missionfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I just got some organic bug stuff to spread on the lawn. Made primarily from cedar. Didnt do squat.
It did exactly what it was designed to do. To not kill bugs!
shigsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionfinder
I can't help but laugh at the arrogance of the "hippie" generation I see here, conveniently ignoring the many problems the next generations have inherited from them. Take a look a the children of today, the "norms" they embrace, the grasshopper attitude so many people have (rather than the ant, putting away for a rainy day) and the negative savings rate the nation has, the way many corporations now operate, the life is cheap attitude (abortion), common politeness not so common, chivalry considered sexist and the castration of many things considered masculine.

The disregard for individual freedoms in the name of political correctness, thought crimes (rating a crime's punishment based on "hate" as if white on white or black on black crime is any less hateful than a white/black crime) and the left's attitude of win power no matter what the cost in Iraq (remember the recent comments about "this will win us seats"?). The "let government take care of us so long as someone else pays for it" attitude of so many entitlement programs (Bush is no better in this regard with the prescription drug program). Gun control without regard to statistics which show how many crimes are prevented due to guns and the fact that criminals will have guns with or without gun control. The "if it feels good do it" attitude without regard to your fellow man. The thought that a Prius is environmentally and/or economically a good choice when the non-hybrid version of this car actually costs less over the long haul and has less environmental impact. The hypocrisy of "leaders" like Gore who preach conservation yet practice just the opposite (and then have the gall to purchase "carbon credits" from their own companies!). The price over quality attitude. Offices where cussing is the norm and the "f word" becoming acceptable part of every day speech. Spitting on soldiers. Civil rights "leaders" turning into opportunistic race-pimps. The drug culture.

Well your kind has had the run of the country for over 6 years now and have screwed it up in every possible way you could imagine. The Right wing has ran up an incredible debt with nothing to show for it but thousands dead and maimed in a needless war. We have lost the respect of the world and are a laughing stock for electing an imbecile like Bush Jr.- Your way does not work and most of the country knows it now. It's time to throw in your right wing towel and turn the country over to the Democrats.

Your post.........Gag.
Cut-Throat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:20 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

Quote:

Let's play Right Wing Bingo.

Did he miss any?
Old 05-07-2007, 07:45 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Ouch. I take it that you are a child of today. Of course you must know that most baby boomers were not hippies. As in all generations, there is quite a mix. So you have someone like me: pretty much was a hippie type in my youth, I smoked my share of weed, I believe politeness is of value, I like manly men, am disturbed by the way some corporations operate, I lobby for national health insurance and I put away money for a rainy day. I don't consider life cheap, but odds are I differ from you on the abortion issue. My and DH own guns but believe in gun control. I protested the Viet Nam war but I never would have dreamt of spitting on a soldier.

Quote:
The disregard for individual freedoms in the name of political correctness, thought crimes (rating a crime's punishment based on "hate" as if white on white or black on black crime is any less hateful than a white/black crime)
As a former student of criminal law, there are many crimes where punishment is based on your intent and what you think. For example, the punishment differs for first degree vs. second degree murder vs. manslaughter, even though in all cases the person is dead and the only difference among the crimes may be what you thought.

There, that felt good. So I did it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:49 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha

Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Ouch.
You shameless hedonist.

They're probably under 40 anyway...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:23 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick2
Boone's Farm gave me the runs.

heh heh :P :
Boones Farm Apple.......As I recall it was $1 a bottle.........Then I became sophisticated and moved up to Mad Dog 20 20....
roadkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 PM   #50

Quote:
I can't help but laugh
You're just having a real bad day, correct? Or, if this is a parody, it's actually a pretty darn good one. And, if it's not a parody...

I wonder what else makes you laugh. (Actually, on second thought, I probably really don't want to know what makes you laugh).

Anyhow, I'm curious about your asset allocation. And, what do you think of a SWR of 4%?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:22 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Well your kind has had the run of the country for over 6 years now and have screwed it up in every possible way you could imagine.
You don't know who I voted for so your position against me doesn't hold water. I'm not "right wing" and a Democrat either (the worse of two evils). Neither Bush nor Clinton have much to be proud of. Please put away your "your kind" arguments, they don't hold water.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:25 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

-Edit-

--Never mind --- not worth my time to continue.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:33 AM   #53

Quote:
-Edit-

--Never mind --- not worth my time to continue.
I agree! - or our time either!
Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Not sure who whizzed in your Cheerios, but before damning the "hippies", you might try defining "hippie"... Certainly, not the entire baby-boom generation was "hippies", and rash generalizations are just that: rash...

I knew a fair number of so-called hippies, who basically were into it for the sex, drugs, and rock n roll. They had no real ideology, other than P-A-R-T-Y. Not that there's anything wrong with that... :P But you seem to be including folks in the hippie movement who likely didn't consider themselves "hippies".

I personally see no good reason too over-glamourize hippies, the 60s or 70s, the anti-war movement (of then or today), drug use, etc. Many of the most strident of the peaceniks, feminists, environmentalists, and civil rights activists were, in my mind, completely full of **** and of themselves, didn't practice what they preached, and were opportunistic charlatans. Not unlike today...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:15 AM   #55
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Yrs to Go
Umm, if the hippies were right all along, how come they dropped back in, got jobs, became good little corporate climbers, raised suburban families, and generally became part of the main-stream politic which is significantly more right-wing then what they rebelled against 30 years ago?
Arrrrgh!!!! They all turned 30!!!!

Audrey
Old 05-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I agree! - or our time either!
Wow, I'd expect to see an occasional comment like that from users on forums, but moderators making a sarcastic comment towards a user?

I shall refrain from any further online judgements of the 60s generation as it seems a few don't want any criticism of it, or so it appears to me. Additionally I apologize for generalizing the results of the 60s generation onto just the hippies and the hippies don't deserve that much credit. As a good friend of mine says "hell, we were hippies to get stoned and laid."
Old 05-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #57

"If you can remember anything about the sixties, you weren't really there."
- Paul Kantner
Old 05-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #58

Quote:
Wow, I'd expect to see an occasional comment like that from users on forums, but moderators making a sarcastic comment towards a user?

I shall refrain from any further online judgements of the 60s generation as it seems a few don't want any criticism of it, or so it appears to me. Additionally I apologize for generalizing the results of the 60s generation onto just the hippies and the hippies don't deserve that much credit. As a good friend of mine says "hell, we were hippies to get stoned and laid."
When you listen to right-wing radio all day, and everyone has the same opinion that you do, you might get the impression that the whole world agrees with you.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but we are free to disagree with the 'kool-aid' here. People disagree with my left wing tilt and I expect it! When you lay out the 'right-wing' position in spades, you should expect it also! That's life on a free internet forum. - It's not the rush limbaugh program.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
When you listen to right-wing radio all day, and everyone has the same opinion that you do, you might get the impression that the whole world agrees with you.
I don't listen to talk radio (except for a financial show that has no politics) nor do I care for Rush Limbaugh.

Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but we are free to disagree with the 'kool-aid' here. People disagree with my left wing tilt and I expect it! When you lay out the 'right-wing' position in spades, you should expect it also! That's life on a free internet forum. - It's not the rush limbaugh program.
I'll reply to your personal attacks privately, moderator.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:28 PM   #60

Quote:
I'll reply to your personal attacks privately, moderator.
Never attacked you personally, just your ultra right-wing ideas.