Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

What a large percentage of people will be doing...
Old 02-06-2004, 06:22 AM   #1

What a large percentage of people will be doing...

If you have ever wondered what the people will do that did not plan for their retirement will be doing. Here is a glimpse.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040206/na_fi...workers_2.html
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: What a large percentage of people will be doin
Old 02-06-2004, 09:44 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I find this part particularly disturbing:

"The partnership will benefit from the Department of Labor's $75 million a year Senior Community Service Employment Program, which helps people over 55 and under the poverty level get training to update their skills, redo their resumes and learn job skills."

Over 55 and in poverty is bad enough but its resumes, training and job skills that really makes me sick... :P and $75M will not be nearly enough in a few years.
TheFIREman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I went to my nearest local Home Depot last week (had been awhile) and noticed a senior citizen acting as a 'greeter' at the door just like at a Walmart. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr it gave me the heebie jeebies ..
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:01 PM   #4

Quote:
and $75M will not be nearly enough in a few years.
Fireman,

Probably will be a good investment for the government - We have to have someone paying our Social Security
Old 02-06-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Latest issue of Kiplinger has article on ER stating "A 2002 study by the Congressional Research Svc found that 75% of people 55-64 had $56K or less in retirement savings..." yikes. I cannot imagine.
BusyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: The elderly working at XXXXX...

The daily newspaper comic "Crankshaft" now has old man Crankshaft working as a greeter in "Sprawl-Mart".

A lady comes up and asks him:
"Can you tell me where I can find furnace filters?"

Pointing, with a grumpy look on his face, he replies:
"It's somewhere down there, beyond the motor oil and canned corn".

That would be me. I don't think I'd make a good greeter, but the competition would love me!

An observation:

The introduction of the "Super" Wal-Mart has allowed the elderly greeter to have a stool to sit on.
The downside is that the greeting location has moved from inside the store itself, to out in the airlock area between the outer and inner doors!
Old 02-07-2004, 09:05 AM   #7

Quote:
What Home Depot has said to mature workers is: We respect mature workers, and we want to hire them," Seith said.
Respect?? When did a company the size of Home Depot ever respect employees? What a joke!!! They make it sound like they're doing them a favor.

Allow me to translate the above quote...What Home Depot has said to mature workers is: We want to hire old people at below average wages because it will improve profit margins at Home Depot and increase shareholder value.

Let's see how much respect these "mature workers" get when they beg for a raise. I'm sure Home Depot already factored in the turnover rate.

Sorry if I sound upset, but this goes totally against my grain. This is more like WF (Work Forever) instead of ER.