Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: What age did you retire?
20s 1 0.59%
30s 11 6.51%
40s 41 24.26%
50s 103 60.95%
60s 13 7.69%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Re: What age did you retire?
Old 01-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

43. 45 was the plan ... but megacorp had other ideas.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2007, 08:05 AM   #22

First retirement was age 50. But, went back to work to have them pay for a major move and to afford a vacation home...it was not a career...it was a job.

Stuff happens in life and my plan to stop working at age 51 disolved. My current plan is before age 55 (this summer) and that this time I really mean it! DW is on long term disability so there are some medical issues yet to resolve otherwise I would have been gone by now.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jumped at 49 - always planned on going till 55 to get bennies. I just burned out and got so sick of the BS - I was so thrilled when I realized that my savings were enough to retire on....
Old 01-24-2007, 11:06 AM   #24
Confused about dryer sheets

43. Started dreaming when I was 16 and planned on retiring at 40.
DH planned on 50 but is still having fun so that may be delayed a few years. He doesn't know what he's missing!
Old 01-24-2007, 03:50 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't find this site until after I had retired at age 62. My wife is retiring at age 56 as of July of this year. We will be buying our travel trailer soon after that, (we already bought the truck with the hauling capability we will need.) We pretty much have our dream home in an excellent neighborhood, an acre to garden, a pool with a waterfall, and plenty of room for the dogs to roam. We will both have generous Cola'd pensions, with 63% survivor benefits and health and dental benefits. We also have a small nest egg in our 401k's. On paper, we will both be fine till death. I am drawing reduced Social Security benefits now and we will see whether we need to take her benefits 6 years from now or wait 3 or more. I don't think we will need them.

Our biggest problem will be what to do with the dogs when we run off on our trailer trips, or find cheap deals for fly away vacations. So far the Sister-in-law's husband has provided the dog sitting service. He's big enough to handle the bouncy 120 lb pitbull/pony and our old 90 lb Ahkbash mix. But I don't know if he'll want to give up as much of his time as we plan to spend on the road or off to far away places. My wife wants to take them with us on the road, but I would rather not. I think it would tie us down too much.

Oh, woe is us!

Old 01-24-2007, 05:20 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Going a little off topic here, but in reply to Elderdude, I have to say that we also have concerns with leaving our house when we travel. It's always difficult to find someone to take care of things, especially in snow country! Our friends winter in Mexico and they were contacted by their building superintendent when the water line to their washing machine had burst and flooded their unit, the unit below them and all down the elevator between floors to the lobby 9 floors below! Hardwood destroyed! No telling how long the water was running, but isn't it your worst nightmare?
It doesn't stop us from going but do wish there was an answer here. Good luck with your dogs!
Old 01-24-2007, 05:28 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIam
Going a little off topic here, but in reply to Elderdude, I have to say that we also have concerns with leaving our house when we travel. It's always difficult to find someone to take care of things, especially in snow country!
No telling how long the water was running, but isn't it your worst nightmare?
It doesn't stop us from going but do wish there was an answer here.
There are automatic shutoff valves, flooding sensors/alarms, and (*gasp*) shutting off the water before you leave on vacation...

I like the old insurance commercial where the couple get in the car and drive. She exclaims "OMG, I left the iron plugged in. We have to go back!" He responds "Aaaaa, you always say that. We're gonna keep driving." She says "No, really, I'm sure I left it on. Turn the car around!" He reaches behind him, pulls an iron out of the back seat, and said "This time I'm smarter than you realize. Whaddya think this is?!?"

She says "That's the old iron!!"

I like the Kaderlis' approach to disposable housing in a busy neighborhood with security patrols.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:11 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
...it was not a career...it was a job.
I read once that a career is just a job that lasted too long!
Old 01-24-2007, 10:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie
I read once that a career is just a job that lasted too long!
Actually, a career is an Ego that lasted too long.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:39 AM   #30

Semi at 49 (1993). Completely at 53 (1998). Wish now I'd at least
have gone the "semi" route earlier. It was less than a year from
the birth of the idea to the departure.

JG
Old 01-25-2007, 05:40 AM   #31

I FIRED @ 50. I even had a silver charm made for my charm bracelet with that phrase on one side and the date I bailed out on the other. Always somthing there to remind me.

I have to add. Its 6:45 AM and I'm sitting here posting this and it is snowing out. And all I have to do is look at it. Not be out in it brushing off the car or a-slippin and a-slidden to get in for a 7AM shift because some else called out. DH is snug in bed, I'm going back there too in a few and will again resurface around 10 AM....maybe. This is soooo goood.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:44 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

59.5. I planned to work until 62 but was forced out. DH was going to 65 but was forced out at 62. Best thing that could have happened to us. We are in heaven!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
Semi at 49 (1993). Completely at 53 (1998). Wish now I'd at least
have gone the "semi" route earlier. It was less than a year from
the birth of the idea to the departure.
Galtian translation: got divorced in 1993, had to sell everything to meet the settlement terms. Got remarried in 1998 and was able to sponge off the wife until social security showed up.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 11:18 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Would like to retire about 55, but will probably be able to retire at about 50. The benefits to my son if I work the extra 5 years is that he would have a substantial tuition break if I keep working. I would vest in the pension too. But what the heck, it ain't all about the money is it? We'll have to make that decision when the time comes.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

WOW! An overwhelming majority have or will make it out in their 50's. that seems to be the "common goal"?
Old 01-27-2007, 01:18 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Well that makes sense. Forties is too early for most folks financially and sixties is...well...not early!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

49 1/2 - probably should call it 50 even and join the crowd.

heh heh heh
Old 01-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

The original plan was to pull the plug in two years at 37 (just shy of 38). However, I could be tempted into one additional year . . . we'll see how things play out over the next 730 days.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Well that makes sense. Forties is too early for most folks financially and sixties is...well...not early!
Well, maybe not AS early? I'll be retiring at 62, but I still think that is early compared with 65 or my social security full retirement age of 66. I hope 62 is at least a little early, because this is the best retirement board I've seen and I wanna hang out here.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 05:27 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

For a small fee, no problems.

Early is as early as you think it is. Considering many boomers may be working into their 70's, 65 might be considered early retirement in a decade or so.