Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 PM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

ditto on toilet paper, beer, shoes and heating the house. I learned to not go on a caribbean all inclusive resort vacation if I can't afford 5 stars.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 PM   #42
Administrator

Socks.
Really good socks that have no seams running across the toes.
Socks that remain soft and supple in the face of abuse by my hiking boots, clogs and the washing machine.
Socks that have cuffs just the right height and breadth to stay up without binding or being too bulky.
Socks that are not too thick (I can double them up if needed) to wear with all kinds of shoes.
Socks that require no special care other than regular washing, socks that can be dried in the dryer without shrinking, pilling or melting.
Socks.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:24 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Good Coffee.
Good food.
Tubes of great oil paints, mediums, and canvases.
Good food for Casanova.
My hair products.
Santiago....my wonderful masseur.
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three pages and nobody has said it:

Chocolate.

And, of course, condoms. You never want to buy discount condoms.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
You never want to buy discount condoms.
It's hard to poke holes in that statement.

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:42 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Plastic baggies? You mean you aren't among those of us who wash them out and re-use them? (gasp!)

Oh well. You can still post here!

Besides, I only wash them out once, usually. Sometimes twice, but if they get greasy, they're outta here!
Thanks ;-)

Nope, I throw 'em out, even if they've just had pretzels or something like that in them. I only use 'em for the kids' lunches, and I only fix them lunches about a 1/4 of the time. Figure three baggies per kid, three kids, so that's 9 baggies about 90 days a year, so I go through about 810 baggies a year. I'm not sure how much that costs, but I don't figure it can be that much.

I do pinch pennies on gas purchases, though. I get it at the cheapest station in town, use a store loyalty card to knock 3 cents off per gallon, and then use my PenFed card to get 5% back on top of that.

I could probably splurge on gas if I washed out baggies, and I could probably retire a few minutes earlier if I economized on both.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:59 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
I could probably splurge on gas if I washed out baggies, and I could probably retire a few minutes earlier if I economized on both.
That sounds like an accurate analysis! I buy my gas at the most expensive station in town (the big, beautiful new Chevron on the corner just down the street). I only fill it up every 6 weeks, though. At 16 gallons per fill-up, each extra penny per gallon means another $1.44/year spent. Oh horrors!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:46 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Socks.
Really good socks that have no seams running across the toes.
Socks that remain soft and supple in the face of abuse by my hiking boots, clogs and the washing machine.
Socks that have cuffs just the right height and breadth to stay up without binding or being too bulky.
Socks that are not too thick (I can double them up if needed) to wear with all kinds of shoes.
Socks that require no special care other than regular washing, socks that can be dried in the dryer without shrinking, pilling or melting.
Socks.
You really need to spend some time in a warmer climate...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 04:34 PM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
But out there where Janet lives it's a dry cold.

ha
Old 12-22-2007, 05:53 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Hunh. I sort of felt my materialism was settling toward about zero. And after scanning through all the these posts.... nothing lit me up. I guess I'll scrimp on about anything. Except maybe my tip for good service.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #51

Quote:
That sounds like an accurate analysis! I buy my gas at the most expensive station in town (the big, beautiful new Chevron on the corner just down the street). I only fill it up every 6 weeks, though. At 16 gallons per fill-up, each extra penny per gallon means another $1.44/year spent. Oh horrors!
Okay.... Every six weeks!

What kind of car, driven how far?

We burned about that much today, helping my niece move some stuff with a 4WD GMC full-size pickup truck, and 16 gallons is about half a tank. On a good day it gets 18 mpg.

Note: If you own a pickup truck, you find a lot of friends....

Bumper sticker on PickupTruck.com: Pickup Truck News, Reviews, Community and Help Finding a New or Used Pickup - "Yes this is my truck and no I won't help you move". But I make exceptions for family.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, I think of myself as being really frugal, but there are certainly things we don't scrimp on.

I don't mind getting most of my clothes from thrift stores because I prefer soft, casual, comfortable clothes, and find an abundance second hand, but here are the things we don't really scrimp on at all

good shoes
Smartwool socks
top quality organic food
organic cotton sheets
Belgian chocolate
broadband internet
travel
giving to charity

I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post this. Our normal system is to be very frugal where it doesn't matter to us (such as washing out the plastic bags or hanging up the laundry instead of using a dryer), yet do not hesitate to spend, sometimes a LOT for the things that matter to us. Of course, the frugality on a number of other things makes it so that there is always money NOT to scrimp on the stuff that matters to us.

LooseChickens
loosechickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #53
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Maybe I just need a better way to keep my feet warm?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:04 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Okay.... Every six weeks!

What kind of car, driven how far?

We burned about that much today, helping my niece move some stuff with a 4WD GMC full-size pickup truck, and 16 gallons is about half a tank. On a good day it gets 18 mpg.

Note: If you own a pickup truck, you find a lot of friends....

Bumper sticker on PickupTruck.com: Pickup Truck News, Reviews, Community and Help Finding a New or Used Pickup - "Yes this is my truck and no I won't help you move". But I make exceptions for family.
I drive a 4-cylinder 2000 Toyota Camry Solara, and I put less than 5000 miles/year on it. I live a mile and a half from work, and I have no life!

I used to get my tank filled once a month. I haven't driven as much in the past couple of years, for whatever reasons. Also if I wait until the little light goes on, sometimes it's 17 gallons.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
Our normal system is to be very frugal where it doesn't matter to us (such as washing out the plastic bags or hanging up the laundry instead of using a dryer), yet do not hesitate to spend, sometimes a LOT for the things that matter to us.
That is so wise! I think that knowing what we really want is the key to being happy and not feeling deprived while LBYM'ing.

Old 12-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #56

Quote:
I live a mile and a half from work, and I have no life!
That must be nice! When I was still w*rking, I had a MUCH longer commute......2 miles! I had to fill up (3/4 tank) about once a month, unless I went out of town several times, then it was a little more often. Normally just once a month, or less, though.

That was back in the good ol' days ( ) now that I'm retired, I have to fill up at least every 2 weeks! I'm always go here or there, for this or that......and thoroughly enjoying every minute (and mile) of it!!!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
That must be nice! When I was still w*rking, I had a MUCH longer commute......2 miles! I had to fill up (3/4 tank) about once a month, unless I went out of town several times, then it was a little more often. Normally just once a month, or less, though.
That's really great! I forgot to say that on the weekends, when Frank and I go out together he always prefers to drive. So, that saves some gas, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
That was back in the good ol' days ( ) now that I'm retired, I have to fill up at least every 2 weeks! I'm always go here or there, for this or that......and thoroughly enjoying every minute (and mile) of it!!!
I'm hoping to do a lot of walking when I retire. So, maybe that will cut back on my gas mileage. If not, maybe I'll be getting gas every half month, too!

Old 12-22-2007, 08:58 PM   #58

Out of all of this. I agree with socks and wine and food. In no particular order. I enjoy running so socks check! Wine well ... I do enjoy a good wine. And well food thats why I really need to run Eh cheers!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:47 AM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with a lot of you - one can not scrimp on high speed internet or socks. Or food, travel and entertainment.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 07:23 AM   #60
Dryer sheet aficionado

During the winter months my feet remain cold so I splurge on fleece socks from LL Bean - they cost $15/pair which is a crazy amount to spend on socks but they are so incredibly soft and keep my feet toasty warm.
redmcclain is offline   Reply With Quote