Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2007, 08:56 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
aThat's why I scrimp on wine. I get the $2.97 bottles of wine at Safeway (Searidge Zinfandel, Cabernet or Syrah), with 10% off if you buy six at once. I have about one glass per day, so the bottle is in the fridge for about a week. By the end of the week, the flavor has further deteriorated.
When we're entertaining, we tend to start with a bottle or two of the "good" stuff (as in $10-20 a bottle) at first. After that, the cheap stuff comes out since people may not be able to tell the difference after a couple of glasses.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:00 AM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree on the Smartwool socks

Just got an aircard after forever on dial-up.

Shoes
Books
The right pillow
The right bed (newest addition to the list)
The right tool for the job

Just splurged on Bose ear buds for the iPod nano that I won. I'm listening to the same music but I'm hearing instruments in the recordings that I'd never heard before...
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Agree on the Smartwool socks
High quality socks are worth the money!

Last year at the Bass Pro shop in Springfield, Missouri (our planned ER location), I bought 5 pairs of Thorlo Trekker socks. Here's a link showing them:

Hiking Socks

I am one of those people whose feet get cold easily, and with thick wool socks like these, they are never cold! Plus, the extra cushioning of very thick socks feels so luxurious. I doubt I will ever go back to ordinary socks.

They never get lost in the wash, because they are so bulky that they can't "hide" inside other clothing without being detected.

They cost me $16/pair, so for $80 a year ago, I am in heaven.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I am one of those people whose feet get cold easily, and with thick wool socks like these, they are never cold! Plus, the extra cushioning of very thick socks feels so luxurious. I doubt I will ever go back to ordinary socks.
As much as people can go back and forth about keeping a home sufficiently heated, the bottom line is that it's impossible to feel warm if your feet are cold. I think someone with good, thick socks and/or house slippers could feel warmer with the thermostat at 66 than someone with thin socks could feel at 70. As a result, even very costly socks would return a good ROI if it meant heating the house less because your feet stayed warm.

Warm feet, warm heart.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

3. 92% of wine drinkers could be fooled into thinking that a $3 bottle of wine is a $70 bottle of wine, or vice versa.
I don't know about your statistics, but it reminded me of the operations officer on my first destroyer.

He and his wife were both from NYC Italian families. They would have all the officers on the ship over for holiday meals and serve Italian food, spaghetti, lasagna,etc. Red wine was always part of the meal, served from corked bottles with impressive labels. (what did I know, it looked impressive to me.) A couple of guys, who prided themselves as being knowledgeable about wine, (they happened to be from the NE ), would not shut up about the quality of the wine being served. Our host fed their questions like a wine steward. To this Georgia boy, wine just tasted like wine.

After our wine expert guests had waxed on for some time, our host pulled out the real bottle all the wine had come from, a cheap gallon jug, screw-top from Napa Valley, poured into special bottles just for the occasion. It was perfect!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:16 AM   #86
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As much as people can go back and forth about keeping a home sufficiently heated, the bottom line is that it's impossible to feel warm if your feet are cold. I think someone with good, thick socks and/or house slippers could feel warmer with the thermostat at 66 than someone with thin socks could feel at 70. As a result, even very costly socks would return a good ROI if it meant heating the house less because your feet stayed warm.

Warm feet, warm heart.
I have the thermostat at 60; it requires warm socks and cabin slippers and various throw rugs.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:19 AM   #87
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
That's why I scrimp on wine. I get the $2.97 bottles of wine at Safeway (Searidge Zinfandel, Cabernet or Syrah), with 10% off if you buy six at once. I have about one glass per day, so the bottle is in the fridge for about a week. By the end of the week, the flavor has further deteriorated.
You need to buy the box wines, they don't oxidize.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:23 AM   #88

I don't feel like I am "scrimping" on much of anything anymore. Maybe I'm just adjusted to my own cheap ways? Years ago when I was just out of school, we deliberately scrimped by renting a dirt cheap apartment to save for a house and then scrimped on everything discretionary to try to save more, faster. It worked, though I still no longer care for bologna sandwiches.

Now, I feel like I am able to choose, but that's not the same as scrimping. I'm an easy mark for my kids and will quickly get them most anything educational, books, pay extra for classes, good shoes, new coats, good food, fresh fruits and veggies year round, piles of art supplies, musical instruments, lessons, pets and their care, little league, team parties, or even trips. But I'm unlikely to "choose" to spend on video games (luckily, for kids there are grandparents and aunts), designer clothes (we'll pay well for top quality, but not extra for the "name" or for certain fashion trends), expensive cable TV, lawn service (we do it ourselves), jewelery, and so on.

I'm in the market for a new vacuum. I'll likely pick an expensive one, but probably not the "top of the line" since what I want is top quality mechanics (and am willing to pay whatever it takes for that) but don't want a lot of "features" that I won't use and will be prone to breakage. Am I scrimping? I don't feel like I am, since I can pretty much buy whatever I want. I'm just deciding what I want.

I used to collect wine, even some top names. Now they are so popular that they are too expensive (hundreds of dollars per bottle and up) for the enjoyment I would get and I've moved to less expensive vintners. Am I scrimping? Maybe, but there's some kind of mental calculation of value received for money spent. I still feel like I'm able to drink plenty of very, very good wine, as much as I choose to, even if I never spend what seems to me insane money for top names anymore.

I agree with the statement that even average folks now enjoy a lifestyle of luxury by historic or world standards, for which I am very thankful. I don't feel like I "scrimp" on anything, I just get to choose what is important to me. Since FIRE is something I want more than consumerism, I spend less on some things and more on others.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:27 AM   #89

For wine in the fridge, you might want to look into Vacuvin or similar. It's a stopper you put in the top of the bottle, then are able to evacuate much of the air from the remaining wine. The top (commercial) ones put a layer of nitrogen in to replace the air, but even the cheap hand vacuum pump ones seem to considerably slow down the rate of deterioration of the remaining wine.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:50 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

Warm feet, warm heart.
i agree, since i work at home and am often home alone i got a pair of $30 Fugg (fake ugg) boots from costco and have been toasty ever since. I don't want to heat the whole house for lil'ol me...
Old 12-29-2007, 12:32 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

This is the second forum on which people talk about how much they love SmartWool socks. Guess I'll have to check it out. We get socks at blackandwhitesocks.com.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:25 PM   #92
Gone but not forgotten

I will not skimp on good quality lipstick or foundation .Mascara I'll buy at CVS but strictly Estee Lauder or Clinque for lipstick and foundation.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #93

Moemg: I bought some Maybelline Airwear foundation and just love it, but it is cold here so maybe it works differently in humid weather.
Ziggy29: I think your wine idea about starting with the expensive and switching to the cheaper is shear genius.
Orchidflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:16 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Ziggy29: I think your wine idea about starting with the expensive and switching to the cheaper is shear genius.
It may be sheer genius, but it's not a new idea (see below)!

The Wedding at Cana

2 On the third day there was a wedding in Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there. 2Jesus and his disciples had also been invited to the wedding. 3When the wine gave out, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine." 4And Jesus said to her, "Woman, what concern is that to you and to me? My hour has not yet come." 5His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you." 6Now standing there were six stone water jars for the Jewish rites of purification, each holding twenty or thirty gallons. 7Jesus said to them, "Fill the jars with water." And they filled them up to the brim. 8He said to them, "Now draw some out, and take it to the chief steward." So they took it. 9When the steward tasted the water that had become wine, and did not know where it came from (though the servants who had drawn the water knew), the steward called the bridegroom 10and said to him, "Everyone serves the good wine first, and then the inferior wine after the guests have become drunk. But you have kept the good wine until now." 11Jesus did this, the first of his signs, in Cana of Galilee, and revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
12 After this he went down to Capernaum with his mother, his brothers, and his disciples; and they remained there a few days.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:29 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

And thou shalt scrimpeth not on wine, if thy wine is from the first bottle, and if thy wine doth flow from the second bottle, thou shalt scrimpeth with wine from the dollar store.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:41 AM   #96

Food. Either eating out or raw materials for cooking.
Lobsters, crab, prime rib, chicken liver, peanuts I like, a good burger, or Italian beef, a good bowl of menudo, a great samosa, green curry with coconut milk anything, ... beer and wine (a good cab) I prefer, Remy Martin XO, Johnnie Walker (up to Gold now), Patron, every now and then a shot of sambuca ...
Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 AM   #97
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
3. 92% of wine drinkers could be fooled into thinking that a $3 bottle of wine is a $70 bottle of wine, or vice versa.
I used to work with a complete wine snob and I liked to get a rise out of him by suggesting that if wine was an acquired taste you might as well acquire a taste for the cheap stuff. Roald Dahl had a good short story about this called "the butler."

RoaldDahlFans.com - Short Stories - "The Butler"
bongo2 is offline   Reply With Quote