Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-09-2012, 03:44 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone4Good View Post
How are you liking it? I forget where exactly you said you moved to, but I think somewhere in CO, no?

We've traveled through 32 of the 50 states so far, always on the lookout for a more permanent base. CO (somewhere not too far from Denver) is the only one that really looked like a possibility. Plenty of wonderful places in the U.S., but not many that would keep my interest for more than a week or three.

The area has a lot of potential for new hobbies, too. In addition to the ones you mentioned, skiing (snowboarding), rock climbing, kayaking, etc. all while not being too far from good food, good beer, museums, culture and walkable urban areas.
We are on the edge of the Denver metro area. I still have to sell my time for money, so I had to be commutable, plus the better school districts tend to be around the major metro areas, hence our choice of location.

We love it here. DW grew up in Denver, so for her this is a return home. I had long ago had my fill of the NYC area for a variety of reasons and I always liked visiting the area. The recreational opportunities are fantastic, the scenery is beautiful, the cultural opportunities (and beer) are very varied, costs are reasonable, and the way of life is far less frenetic/stressed than I was used to in the Northeast. I will not be relocating when I check out from employment.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Looking for keys
Finding keys
Wondering where I was going
Looking for keys

Old 03-09-2012, 08:19 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

As a kid, my bedroom was also my darkroom.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You just reminded me how I used to dive under the covers to load film into a Patterson tank for developing.
Old 03-10-2012, 06:12 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I prefer photography since it went digital.
I never even had any sort of darkroom, there was just no place available for that.

What I do enjoy most now is that once I've paid for the camera gear and software, mistakes and experimentation don't cost anything extra but my time.

I'm only printing on an HP Photosmart D7560 that I got on sale for $95, and those prints look better than anything I've ever shot before. In the future may be an Epson 3880 or similar.

But DW wants a new kitchen floor first. It is hard to understand why anyone would prefer a new floor over a new printer but there it is.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:39 PM   #46

Don't really print images any more - everything is displayed online, unless someone wants a portrait or a framed image for the wall.

Old 03-13-2012, 01:53 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Are you kidding? While simply getting a correct exposure is easier there are scads of other issues to learn: White balance, composition, lighting, framing, and oh, check out the learning curve on Photoshop CS5.
I agree, I would love to get better at digital photos but don't have the time to learn...YET.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Only one person brews? If you don't like beer, you can make wine! Perfect for retirement hobby because it's just a few months to learn, but a lifetime to get it perfected. Back when photography took time, I think it was a better hobby (my dad did it). I was a photographer for the school, but when it went digital, it became 'too easy' hehe.

--Dale--
I love beer...sort of a connesuier. I can no longer drink domestic "normal" beers...I love most wheats, hefeweizens, and many pale ales. Starting to get into IPAs, but that will take time. My fav beer is Franziskaner Hefeweizen. Went on a 2-week vacation to Germany in 2011 to celebrate our 15 year anniversary...love the beer there. I may take up brewing in a few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemoon View Post
Since I stopped showing dogs in the mid 90's my only hobbies have been reading and spending time on the computer. Now that I am retired I do more of both. I keep saying I am going to start walking again and one of these days I might even do it.
I won't "show" dogs, but am a dog lover and we're considering as a FIRE activity getting a dog (ours is old, won't live much longer) and getting her certified as a therapy dog, either in hospitals or nursing homes. This would be a great way to combine our love for dogs with volunteering.

Other hobbies include:
Musclecars (own 2 of them currently)
Woodworking (1000 sq.ft. woodshop in basement)
Personal finance

DW likes:
reading
gardening (both flowers and veggies/herbs)
Old 03-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
We are on the edge of the Denver metro area. I still have to sell my time for money, so I had to be commutable, plus the better school districts tend to be around the major metro areas, hence our choice of location.

We love it here. DW grew up in Denver, so for her this is a return home. I had long ago had my fill of the NYC area for a variety of reasons and I always liked visiting the area. The recreational opportunities are fantastic, the scenery is beautiful, the cultural opportunities (and beer) are very varied, costs are reasonable, and the way of life is far less frenetic/stressed than I was used to in the Northeast. I will not be relocating when I check out from employment.
We've vacationed in CO, and you are right, they have good, and varied, beer.

Portland Oregon is another great beer city.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

ha ha, hobbies. Well, have two kids to raise, so, they by default are hobbies. My older son's school projects are fun to do with him.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Hobbies

Harley riding
Wine
IPAs
Scooter riding (the kind with a motor) :-)
Wine
Reading nook books - fiction mysteries and thrillers
Craig's list
Wine

Did I mention wine?
Tasting, touring, drinking!

Cheers

--nook
Old 03-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Salsa dancing
cooking
reading (for my book club)
taking classes (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute)
fair weather motorcycle riding
Walks/hikes
a little bit of traveling around the US
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

hobbies

Doing what I want to, when I want to:

Backpacked 1100 miles last year, almost all solo, going when the weather was good, staying out 4-6 days, nothing like those weekend trips before ER.

Volunteer trail maintenance in remote areas, again when the weather was good, going home when it started to go bad. The start and the finish were not calendar based.

Reading: For my first few weeks of retirement, I read 10-14 hours a day. My recliner is that comfortable.

Volunteering at the local national forest service office to to help pick up litter in the forest. There is immediate, positive feedback, those places look better after I've worked there.