Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-15-2014, 09:46 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
We don't often go out for NYE but when we do, we always have fun (as we do when we stay home, with just the two of us, another couple, or a full-fledged party as we used to throw many years ago).

Go for it, aja!
I believe that's the best course of action given the situation. Maybe this extravaganza dinner/party will be better than the last time 14 years ago.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 10:09 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have my wife conditioned that we do not go out for any of the following holidays:
New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, Mother's Day.

Not because I am a stick in the mud and do not want to have fun. It is because everybody it seems goes out on these days. Why go somewhere we will have to wait much too long, have crappy service, pay too much money, and all in a too noisy place? Sorry, that is not my idea of spending a nice evening with my wife.

Go to some friend's house and have a nice dinner and hanging out with them for some time is more what we typically would do.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/16 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:26 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I have my wife conditioned that we do not go out for any of the following holidays:

Not because I am a stick in the mud and do not want to have fun. It is because everybody it seems goes out on these days. Why go somewhere we will have to wait much too long, have crappy service, pay too much money, and all in a too noisy place? Sorry, that is not my idea of spending a nice evening with my wife.

Go to some friend's house and have a nice dinner and hanging out with them for some time is more what we typically would do.
Will you call my wife and work your magic (something I have not been able to do)?
Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Just about every "nice" restaurant overcharges for cheap wine and tasteless meals on New Year's Eve. We go out to our favorite Mexican restaurant.....early, 7pm, home by 8:30pm and to bed after the 10 pm news.......why waste money and sleep? doesn't make sense to DW or me........course, I did party a lot in my way younger days.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:24 PM   #25

I do not like to go out on New Year's Eve. I stay home and will probably be playing World of Warcraft when the New Year rolls in. DH will be asleep since he doesn't usually stay up that late.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:34 PM   #26

Thank you all for helping celebrate DW's birthday!

She always says she doesn't want to do anything, but that afternoon she'll change her mind and I'll end up scrambling for something. So far it's worked out pretty well. If we do go out it'll be the usual dinnertime, we'll be home safe and sound (and probably sleeping) for the New Year.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #27

Amsterdam is a war zone during new years .. legal and not so legal fireworks all over the place. It's scary to go outside.

So I decided to go to a country where they don't celebrate new years (Sri Lanka).
Old 12-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
NYE I could see, but I wouldn't even bring up saving money on Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, her Birthday or "our" Anniversary with DW. She puts up with me 365 days/year, so it seems like a screaming bargain to overpay to show DW a good time 4 days/year. Apparently DW has trained me (without me having a clue) far more successfully than any foolish, misguided attempts I've made to "condition" her. YMMV

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Haven't gone out on NYE since I was in my 20s. Amateur night, indeed!
It just isn't worth it, in so many ways.

Once in a while, a party at a friend's house, but only if it's within 10 miles.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:15 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Our 'usual' has been to go to a fairly nearby ballroom dancing and dinner event. Not too terribly pricey at $50 a person, and a very nice, romantic way to end the year, though quite often we'll leave around 11:00 PM because we're tired and ready to head for home. I find the ringing in of the New Year itself to be not very important. I actually prefer being fresh enough to enjoy the Rose Parade the next day, usually via TV/streaming, but every so often in person.

This year, however, we are driving about five miles from home to an RV park, where our RV club will be spending the holiday. Too close to home to make it worth our while to pull out the trailer and join them, but close enough to zip over for the NYE festivities. The idea of sitting around a blazing campfire and drinking champagne with a group of good people sounds rather nice for a change.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #31

We'll hunker down at home, watch some tv, maybe a couple of movies. Certainly not as exciting as a few years ago when I took a nose dive through the ice while skating.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-15-2014, 08:47 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

We have the luxury of living close enough to Boston where ee can go there to participate in its First Night fun. It's family oriented early, with a decent fireworks display at 7 PM for the kids. We've been going there for many years with the kids, and now without them. We'll likely go again this year too, and still be home before the ball drops. I symathize and empathize with the OP: I would not look forward to that plan, and I can see DW reacting as frostily ;-)
Old 12-15-2014, 09:39 PM   #33

For the last 10 years I have gone to my ladyfriend's place for a quiet evening. If, because of the calendar, she worked on NYE day, then we treat NYE like a typical Friday night so I bring dinner over and we eat together. Then I hope she can stay awake at midnight. If she did not work NYE day then we treat NYE like a Saturday night and she cooks dinner for me (and I still hope she can stay awake at midnight).
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 07:32 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

KEY WEST for us. We don't go every year but probably most. New Years for us will be Friday to Friday. We carry kayaks, bicycles, kites and boards and camp at Sigsbee's Point, on the water. News years eve is a massive party from one end of Duval st to the other. Sloppy Joes has a 'conch' that drops at midnight. the other end of Duval has a stage with drag queens performing all night, and there is a glass slipper on the roof that drops at midnight. the entire scene is very safe, not like my home city where walking to your car from the fireworks can get you robbed or even killed.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:25 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

The local English pub pipes in (yes, with bagpipes) the New Year at 4:00pm, thence, home for a normal bedtime!
Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

I agree, our favorite restaurant is a wonderful experience except for major holidays. Then it's a scaled down menu, everything they can is already prepared, and the crowd and prices are overwhelming.

DW likes a local Mexican restaurant, not my favorite, she'll know it was just for her. Plus it's never too busy even on holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome len View Post
Just about every "nice" restaurant overcharges for cheap wine and tasteless meals on New Year's Eve. We go out to our favorite Mexican restaurant.....early, 7pm, home by 8:30pm and to bed after the 10 pm news.......why waste money and sleep? doesn't make sense to DW or me........course, I did party a lot in my way younger days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

We typically have a nice meal at home (steak or lobster or king crab or combinations thereof) and then watch a movie and the ball drop and then go to sleep. On New Year's Day we usually hang out at home or go visit friends.

I say typically. A few years ago we visited a friend about an hour away, had a dinner with them and some other friends and played cards and we stayed over and took them out to breakfast the next morning. A couple years before that we joined some other friends a few hours away and we stayed at a hotel and went to the hotel's NYE extravaganza of dinner and dancing. When the kid's were younger we routinely went to First Night festivities about an hour away and stayed overnight in a local hotel.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #38

We haven't gone out for NYE for 10 years, and the time before that was Y2K. They do have a gathering at the clubhouse but DH doesn't dance and didn't want to go. That's fine with me actually. Instead of going to bed at our usual 10pm (NYE and otherwise) I am thinking of going to Church for an 11pm Mass that ends at midnight.
Hebrews 12:11

ER'd in June 2015 at age 52. Initial WR 3%. 50/40/10 (Equity/Bond/Short Term) AA.
Live And Learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
KEY WEST for us. We don't go every year but probably most. New Years for us will be Friday to Friday. We carry kayaks, bicycles, kites and boards and camp at Sigsbee's Point, on the water. News years eve is a massive party from one end of Duval st to the other. Sloppy Joes has a 'conch' that drops at midnight. the other end of Duval has a stage with drag queens performing all night, and there is a glass slipper on the roof that drops at midnight. the entire scene is very safe, not like my home city where walking to your car from the fireworks can get you robbed or even killed.
I went there last year for NYE. It's like New Orleans at Mardi Gras except it's in the 60's at midnight instead of the 40's. Great time!
Old 12-16-2014, 03:20 PM   #40

We usually stay home, a couple of homebody introverts. We might make it to midnight. I'm conditioned to beware of driving after dark on New Year's Eve because of all the drunks. So our vehicles will be in the garage with the door closed.