Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-16-2014, 02:46 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We usually go over to a house party, leave before midnight to beat the drunk drivers, and enjoy the new year at home with some wine ourselves. Last year, I overindulged at said house party and didn't make it to midnight once we got home. DW (the sober driver) was not pleased. This year, I will drive for her!
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
NYE I could see, but I wouldn't even bring up saving money on Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, her Birthday or "our" Anniversary with DW. She puts up with me 365 days/year, so it seems like a screaming bargain to overpay to show DW a good time 4 days/year. Apparently DW has trained me (without me having a clue) far more successfully than any foolish, misguided attempts I've made to "condition" her. YMMV
I used to go out with husband and kids on Mother's Day but it was so crowded that I really didn't have much fun. I felt like I was in an assembly line that was rather loud.

So two years ago I proposed something different. We went and got BBQ from a nearby restaurant and brought it home and then rented movies online and watched them with DH and the kids (college age). This past year we did the same but got pizza. It has become every so much more enjoyable than going out on Mother's Day.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I also avoid going out to dinner on holidays. In younger years, I loved doing that.

My late husband and I used to have small size NYE parties here at the house, insisting that people bring toothbrush, sleeping bags and pillows so no driving drunk. We made sure we had at least a couch or recliner for each person to crash on. We had lots of breakfast food on hand. Cooking pans, cups, silverware and plates were laid out. The rule was the first ones up had to get coffee and breakfast going.

Mr B and I are not into going out to dinner or holiday parties too much these days. I am trying to lose some/maintain my weight, so I am the stick in the mud.

I hate the noise and frantic service in restaurants. The cops are all over the roads locally, so we skip the VFW and Legion events on NYE. There is no taxi service out here in the boonies.

I think I'll ask him to hit the grocery store in the late afternoon and bring home some steamed lobsters.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #44
Dryer sheet wannabe

This Hogmany ( we call it that here) we plan on spending the night in Biggar at a bonfire display, we have been actively campaigning for independence this year and one of the biggest surprises was the passion that appeared from Biggar, so we will take pleasure in spending time with the people we have a lot in common with. Maybe they will even have an effigy of Westminster to burn ( a reference to the effigy burning of Alex Salmond obviously)
Elantan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

In younger days, I went out on dates on NYE. No matter how much I liked the entertainment, I had to leave before my date wanted to leave, because of the cigarette smoke. The following morning I would wake up with a raw throat and sinuses. I simply do not understand how smokers manage to enjoy what they do...

So when the smoking bans started in the 1990's, Mr. A. and I ventured out for a fancy dress-up dinner on NYE, instead of our usual shrimp/crab legs/champagne/old movie/ball drop/bed routine. Like Freebird, we were turned off by the noise and frantic [bad] service. It was like a cattle drive with a high price tag.

So, back to the reliable routine. In recent years, I started to FB and Skype with relatives during the evening, so we all can wish each other HNY. We live too far away from them to attend gatherings.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #46
Full time employment: Posting here.

We'll be just south of Ft. Lauderdale in a decent business class hotel that I got for a bargain since no one is traveling for business that week.

We'll probably spend some time wandering the boardwalk until I get tired of the crowds, then find a deserted stretch of beach to wander (possibly with a glass of bubbly), likely capping off the night on our balcony watching the fireworks with another glass of bubbly.

I am actually looking forward to this NYE.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In younger days, I went out on dates on NYE. No matter how much I liked the entertainment, I had to leave before my date wanted to leave, because of the cigarette smoke. The following morning I would wake up with a raw throat and sinuses. I simply do not understand how smokers manage to enjoy what they do...
As an ex-smoker I understand. They simply don't smell it or don't have the nasty side effects. Well I had sinus issues, but denial is a very large place.

One of the huge motivating changes when I quit was when I noticed how bad smoking, and being a smoker smells. I remember where I was and who I was with when I first noticed it. "Hey guys these people over there are smokers and they stink".

Now I understand how my late DF, another ex-smoker busted me every time I smoked. Heck he could walk through the house and find a partial pack of cigarettes I had well hidden. Just the smell of tobacco led him right to them.

Like you I can't be somewhere smoking is going on without paying a price.

Service on NYE or other major holidays stinks too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:27 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Will be sitting in a hot tub, with a nice beverage in hand with as many friends and family members that can squeeze in... with luck, the sky will be clear allowing for a clear viewing of the starry night sky, framed with the towering Douglas Firs that surround the deck... doesn't get any better.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:55 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... our anniversary is Jan 1, so we're killing two birds with one stone.
Hey - we're anniversary buddies. This will be year 15 for DH and I. (We were ancient when we got married and started having kids.)

Our plan is to go to the neighbors party... It's a family friendly neighborhood party - adult beverages (mostly wine) for the adults.... sodas and other sugary things to get the kids amped up... but they have a basketball hoop in the front - so that's where my kids will likely be. The tradition is to "ring in" the new year at 9pm (when the ball drops in Times Square). That way families with younger kids and babies can bail out at a reasonable hour. We usually are home by 10pm.... even though our boys are of an age they could go longer.

We'll go out to dinner Friday or Saturday after NYE - to celebrate the anniversary... less crowds, less hype, a better quality experience.

Happy Anniversary Midpack!
Old 12-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
No plans for NYE at all. Why not just party here?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #51

New Year's day happens to my B-day. As I get order, Jan 1st is not something I look forward to. So on new year's eve, I will drink to my health and sulk.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

We are flying to Bangkok on Dec. 31. Leave in the AM and arrive at 10PM on New Years day. So, I expect that we will be in the air somewhere, or waiting in Narita for our connection.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #53

I will be staying home, too many drunks on the road.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:39 PM   #54
Dryer sheet aficionado

We do a lobster tail dinner every year for NYE, with whichever of our kids are in town plus usually a friend or two of theirs. I splurge on nice champagne for the event. I may make it till midnight to see the ball drop.
David3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #55
Dryer sheet aficionado

I'll be sitting home alone again. Glad I found this site. I'll likely be doing lots of reading and catching up to you!

I used to play in a band and NYE was always work- the highest paying gig of the year usually. We encouraged irresponsible drinking because that made everything more fun. (or so we/they thought) All the party guests had a room at the hotel so that makes it a little less bad?

Between this site and the investment site I found on a thread here, I have lots to keep me productively busy as I wait for the ball to drop.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Indiana Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Randy View Post
I'll be sitting home alone again. Glad I found this site. I'll likely be doing lots of reading and catching up to you!

I used to play in a band and NYE was always work- the highest paying gig of the year usually. We encouraged irresponsible drinking because that made everything more fun. (or so we/they thought) All the party guests had a room at the hotel so that makes it a little less bad?

Between this site and the investment site I found on a thread here, I have lots to keep me productively busy as I wait for the ball to drop.

Happy New Year Everyone!
Welcome, Randy!
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Randy View Post

Happy New Year Everyone!
Welcome and Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2014, 11:31 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak View Post
I will be staying home, too many drunks on the road.
We go out, but we're home by 9:30p at the very latest. I'd like to think the drunks haven't taken over the roads until later, more out in force after midnight. When we're on the road most soon to be drunks are still somewhere drinking, and not on the road yet...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:17 PM   #59

DH and I will be doing "crime watch" at our weekend/vacation home. It's a quiet recreational community in the mountains, and the most serious "crimes" we have are typically illegal fireworks and kids knocking over mailboxes. The important thing for us is to be a visible presence to help keep the short-time renters from getting too crazy and causing damage to the community.

DH and I have taken the duty for the past couple of years on New Years Eve since most of the volunteer "watchers" attend the community party. The party is a bit of drinking and a lot of dancing; neither of us drink much and DH doesn't dance so it's not a sacrifice to be on duty. We will drive around the community a few times and probably go to bed before midnight.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #60

Change in plans. DW (who has long been the household Social Director) informs me that we are going to her sister's house, thankfully now only 15 minutes away) for NYE. It's not a bad option, we get along well with them, there will be way too much food available, a well-stocked "bar" in the garage, and I even like their dog. There will be one or two other couples there but they're all extroverts so I'll probably spend most of the time with the dog.