Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2014, 05:09 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Staying home, having some friends over. Will have a fire in the fire pit if weather cooperates.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2014, 10:47 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We're doing something different than normal. Will be attending First Night festivities about 20 minutes away. There are two things I want to see at 5 and 6 and then we may grab some dinner somewhere and then attend some other events. Plan to be home by 11 to watch the ball drop on tv.

pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:23 PM   #63

We've been invited to 3 different New Years eve social gatherings which are within 20 minutes of each other, so we may hit one for dinner, one for socializing/dancing from 9-11, and the last to welcome in the New Year, and then get home before 1AM for a family celebration - kids are going off in all different directions with friends, but we like to get together as a family early on January 1st.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 PM   #64

We were planning on staying home, but have decided to go to a local neighborhood tavern for an early prime rib dinner at about 4:30pm. Then come back home an watch TV for a while before I head out to the coffee shop to meet up with my pals for our nightly cup. Back home again to wait for the ball to drop, then hit the pillows around midnight.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:10 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Our refrigerator/freezer broke down yesterday. The repairman says the part won't be here until Monday. I have 60 people coming for a New Years Day open house tomorrow.

I spent last night throwing out thawed food and made a bolognese sauce in the crockpot for tonight. Much food is in a cooler with ice on our back porch or sitting on my porch table. The ice hasn't melted at all in 24 hours. I am so glad the temperatures are 26-39 today in Texas, perfect refrigerator weather.

Fun times.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-31-2014, 04:35 PM   #66

For 20 years, our New Years Eve was a 7PM to 1AM party at the clubhouse with 200 friends. Band, dancing, 2 kegs, and champagne... Lobster rolls, tables full of finger sandwiches, oysters, hot chocolate dipped cherries and like that. Games, karaoke, and everything imaginable, that could be squeezed into one evening. The cost is still $10/person, but we don't do that any more. Hard to stay awake, and a single glass of wine wouldn't help.

Now... sooo happy... dinner with friends, and home by 7:30, bed by 9, to rest up for pot roast and football tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015.jpg (15.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 12-31-2014, 04:42 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

We are staying home tonight a DW came down with the flu, or something similar. Saved me from a night out to an expensive club, lousy dinner, and funny hats at midnight.

The couple that invited us to that party are down with the flu also.

I guess I am the only one around here that is not sick! (Oh, the dog is fine also).
Old 12-31-2014, 04:52 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I'm recovering from the stomach bug...able to eat today but nothing complicated. Mr B is headed to the local Legion for a very short visit to eat the free simple buffet meal they are putting out. He promised to bring me back some ham and roasted potatoes.

I'll watch some of the beginning of the NYC based NYE shows if I can manage to stay up that late. Doubtful...

Happy New Year! Sydney and Dubai firew*rks shows are always great to watch.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:56 PM   #69

After leftovers at home, DW and I are bringing a magnum of Anchor Christmas, 2009 vintage, to another couples' house. Just the four of us gabbing and eating appetizers until the ball drops, if we last that long.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #70

Staying home with DW. In 2011 we peaked out with doing New Years Eve in Times Square with friends. Maybe those studies that show your spending going down as you age are correct.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #71

We're tucked in for the evening; we don't make a big deal out of New Year's Eve.

DH just found a "Twilight Zone " marathon on the SyFy channel so I may see very little of him.
Old 12-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #72

I have a date with my couch tonight. I broiled a frozen Maine lobster tail for dinner (thawed it overnight)...quite good. I bought some mini bottles of Prosecco so might crack one of those in a bit when I find a movie. Tomorrow I am going to an ex-coworker's house for lunch at 1:00. I might make it to midnight as I slept in until 8:30 this morning.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:58 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Apparently, I need to learn how to use the camera in my cellphone:

And learn how to point it at the bagpiper instead of peoples heads!

Still doesn't convey the mosh-pit atmosphere that greeted the new year in San Diego!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:18 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Went out to dinner earlier, now staying home and taking it easy. Got a nice bottle of champagne, and also a prosecco. Will probably watch the Crab drop in Easton MD on CNN.
What are you doing or did do on New Years Eve?
Old 12-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

What are you doing or did do on New Years Eve?

We are staying home as usual. I'm drinking some CA sparkling wine now and we will eat leftovers soon.

We don't like the crowds and usual parties on NYE. Tomorrow we will attend an afternoon New Years day party at a friend's house. I will take down the Christmas tree in the morning and listing to holiday music for the last time this season.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:40 PM   #76

We're also staying home, still marveling at today's unexpected snowfall in SoCal.

Now I don't have to envy Walt's pretty snow photos any longer. I have my own!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:42 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
We were planning on staying home, but have decided to go to a local neighborhood tavern for an early prime rib dinner at about 4:30pm......
We arrived for dinner just as they were opening at 4:30, and were the first ones seated and served. The prime rib and trimmings were excellent, and we got to visit with a few friends who were there also. We were on our way home at 5:15, and took a short cruise around town to enjoy the last vestiges of Christmas lights. Back home in my LazyBoy by 5:40, with my next planned festivity being breakfast tomorrow morning!

Happy New Year to all!!!
Old 12-31-2014, 07:47 PM   #78

Sorry. Now I see that there is another long running New Years Eve thread.

MOD NOTE - threads have been merged
Old 12-31-2014, 07:49 PM   #79

We are staying home as usual. I'm drinking some CA sparkling wine now and we will eat leftovers soon.

We don't like the crowds and usual parties on NYE. Tomorrow we will attend an afternoon New Years day party at a friend's house. I will take down the Christmas tree in the morning and listing to holiday music for the last time this season.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:11 PM   #80

What are your plans for this New Year's Eve?

We are not party people, especially when everyone else out there is drunk, so we stay at home. DH bought a grocery store champagne-like beverage for midnight.

One of our sons is working at the Akron, OH First Night celebration. He's been doing this for 6 or 7 years, running the sound for one of the bands. It's one of his favorite gigs. The other son came over to be with us and I made pulled pork in the pressure cooker for dinner. He is 30 but does not drink like most people he knows. A glass of grocery store champagne is about his speed.

I'm thinking about my Dad, who told me in February how he didn't think he'd make it to 2015. He wanted 2014 to be his last year, he's gone downhill a lot lately and nothing is getting easier, only harder.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum