What book would you like to see written?

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was thinking on what book I would like to see written on early retirement. What came to mind was a book similar to "Working" by Studs Turkle. He interviewed many people on the working aspects of their life. It was a good read. It wasn't focused on what people earned but what they put into and got out of work. It gave good insights into our fellow citizens. The final thought that people take pride in their work, want to do a good job and some like to work was not new.

I was thinking a similar type of book on those who retired early might be very informative and telling.

What book on early retirement would you like to see written?

Re. "What book on early retirement would you like to see written?" Answer: Mine!

John Galt

None. In deferance to the modern age, the experiences of the posters to this forum are probably better than any book that comes to mind. Keep posting folks and the dryer sheet awards will come!

Dex, check out a book called "Get a Life: You Don't Need a Million to Retire Well".   It includes a bunch of "case studies" that are basically profiles of characters who bucked the trend, got out of the rat race, and improved their quality of life.

As far as books I'd like to see, I'm looking for a whole series of educational books.   I want to learn all of the basic skills needed to be independent of pointy-haired bosses, high-priced lawyers, incompetent doctors, lazy contractors, investment advisors, and other rip-off artists.   Basically, a survival guide that teaches you just enough basic principles to eschew the "experts" 99% of the time.

Nords,
Thanks for the link.
I think I'll read the book.

Yes Nords

Thanks for the link. Po Bronson - what a racket - work/play/ER all rolled into one. What a hoot. I'm jealous. Will add him to my reading list.

Re:  "What Should I Do" has more in paperback.

I read "What Should I Do" as part of my ER transition and was happy to learn that I'm not the only one confused about my future-- except, of course, for the guy receiving career advice from the Dalai Lama, the American Indian activist with a 20-year plan, & the Timken heir on the police beat...

Then I dug up all of Bronson's other books-- they're all good. Bombardiers was particularly hilarious, especially if you're counting on bonds to fund your ER.

Read in order, the books show an interesting evolution in Bronson's life & maturity. I think he tries to come across as a sarcastic slacker, until you realize how darn hard he works at his writing & publishing. It'll be great to read the next book...

"A guide for the Federal, State, and Local governments on how to stop spending all of our money on dumb crap and pork".

"How to hogtie, draw and quarter your homeowners association board members".

"How to get out of a yellow light ticket while your dog is trying to eat the policeman".

Books and the internet? I notice Po Bronson and Bernstein to name only two of several/many? write books and maintain web sites. Any thought's? Along the lines of an earlier post - I tend to look first to the net for 'expertise' before the yellow pages where I know I will be 'parting with money' when going there - possibly in a 'less informed' manner.

Books and the internet - any thoughts on the interaction?

TH, you would not believe it if anyone wrote it, so in that sense I suppose it is fiction.

John Galt

I just finished listening to the audio book of "What should I do with my life" I listened to it on my way to and from work! I also listened to one of Anthony Robbin's "Power Talk" and Harold Kushner's Living a Life That Matters."
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...103-2452531-5655054?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

I can recommed them all. They may look like very different books but they all are similar in that in one way or another they said:
We are driven by one of two emotions love or fear.
Tony Robbins approach is to try and make what we fear so painful to us that we have the strength and courage to do what we love.
The people in Po Bronson's book one way or another saw that their actions were motivated by fear, that they were being hurt by it and needed to change their lives.

Rabbi Kushner (who wrote a N.Y. Times best seller "When bad things happen to good people" ) help us to see that what we fear is dying without living and learning the life we know we should.

His point on fear is that those who go through life avoiding pain and fear never really experience life or feel anything.

He has some very good insights.
A couple are:
When we die one of the areas where we will be judged will be in how much or little we have taken advantages of the pleasures God has provided us. Think about it.

Another is that we keep looking for that major turning point or mirical in our life that will change it and put us on the path to our happiness. But, there is not real major turning point (I think the Po Bronson book might have distorted the picture here a bit - what do you think?) Kushner tells the story of the Bible story of the Isrealites fleeing the Egiptians - that God parted the Red Sea just in time for the Isrealites to escape from their captors. But as the Bible says, two days later they were complaining about being in the desert, the heat etc. So, God said to himslef - It is not best to give these people one major miracle every lifetime - miricales must be give on a daily basis - so God gave the Isrealites food every moring - the manna from heaven - while they were in the desert. Kushners' conclusion we must make miracles happen daily and that life is its own reward.

Back
Top Bottom