Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-24-2015, 08:34 PM   #41

Canadians are welcome in the Carolinas, I promise! Don't know about those Chicagoans, though....

J/K--I don't know anyone from Chicago, good or bad!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2015, 09:18 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Canadians are welcome in the Carolinas, I promise! Don't know about those Chicagoans, though....

J/K--I don't know anyone from Chicago, good or bad!

But no Irish...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:20 PM   #43
Administrator

Key West in January would be great.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest Sarasota , Fl since it has great weather , beaches , lots of restaurants , theatre , opera , arts community and a great downtown but we already have our quota of winter visitors so do not come here !
Old 09-25-2015, 05:13 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
I live in the north and I am done with dark and gray in January.

Would you recommend a city for me to live during the month of January?

I'd like to try east coast or south. I like museums, ballet, great restaurants.

Perhaps I'll spend a week in 4 cities. I like New Orleans but a week would suffice.

Cost isn't an issue. I'm good at finding lower cost air tickets and hotels.

What would you recommend?

TIA!
New Orleans, Charleston, then any number of cities in Florida (Sarasota, West Palm Beach, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando).

Yes, it can be cold in New Orleans and Charleston, but probably not a problem for you. Maybe you can be flexible or just stay a few days in each in case one of those Chicago artic blasts spills towards the south. And yes, Orlando has been cold a few days in its life, but if it is near freezing at night, it is likely going to be sunny and 60 that day.

I would avoid counting on any beach time north of West Palm. It could happen, but I know a lot of people disappointed as well. Also, you sound like you want culture, so close to the beach seems to drop in that regard in many ways.

If you consider Orlando, try a smaller city (suburb) like Winter Park. GREAT restaurants, shopping, and the Sun Rail runs to many major locations including airports.

Here are some average , high/low temperatures. Consider that 20 degrees below these can happen, so bring winter coat just in case, and you should be fine.
Orlando 72/50
New Orleans 62/43
Charleston 57/42
Chicago 32/18
Old 09-27-2015, 11:35 AM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've been googling many of the cities you suggest. Some cities sound great that weren't on my radar at all.

I think I'll pass on the northern cities. "-30...but it's a dry cold" cracks me up.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:38 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I've been googling many of the cities you suggest. Some cities sound great that weren't on my radar at all.

I think I'll pass on the northern cities. "-30...but it's a dry cold" cracks me up.
Those -30 temps will crack your skin, too.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Fire View Post
Here are some average , high/low temperatures. Consider that 20 degrees below these can happen, so bring winter coat just in case, and you should be fine.
Orlando 72/50
New Orleans 62/43
Charleston 57/42
Chicago 32/18
Also, if you choose New Orleans, remember that the temperatures are not the whole story around here. Our legendary high humidity can make the cold seem much colder and more bone chilling than you might imagine.

On the positive side, Mardi Gras is February 9th in 2016 so carnival season will be intense and in full swing during January. There will be lots of parades and so on, but of course keep the weather in mind when you dress for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I've never been to Key West in January, but if I wanted to go someplace in January this would be my first choice. Well, Key West or Hawaii.

The attached photo was taken in my New Orleans back yard, on January 28th 2014. This is not a tropical paradise in January, at least not reliably so. Notice the lack of sunshine and the ice/snow on my neighbor's roof. Now imagine unbelievably high humidity and gusting winds:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ice.jpg (54.6 KB, 7 views)

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I went there for NYE a couple years ago. Thousands of people partying in the streets. It's like Mardi Gras in New Orleans except it was in the 60's at midnight. I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt and was comfortable in Key West. In New Orleans in early Feb I was freezing cold while wearing a hoodie. I didn't even stay until midnight. Key West is MUCH better than New Orleans in Jan/Feb.