Join Early Retirement Today

What city to visit for the month of January?
Old 09-16-2015, 10:07 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

What city to visit for the month of January?

I live in the north and I am done with dark and gray in January.

Would you recommend a city for me to live during the month of January?

I'd like to try east coast or south. I like museums, ballet, great restaurants.

Perhaps I'll spend a week in 4 cities. I like New Orleans but a week would suffice.

Cost isn't an issue. I'm good at finding lower cost air tickets and hotels.

What would you recommend?

TIA!
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2015, 10:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sydney, Australia.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Houston is nice in January, for Houston....
Old 09-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Come to Houston....we have it all, and hotel prices are dropping like a rock in water due to low oil prices.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:17 AM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

Miami Florida, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Tuscon, AZ. These all are the places you can enjoy in winter months that includes January.
sanjeev0276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:18 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Come to Houston....we have it all, and hotel prices are dropping like a rock in water due to low oil prices.
Plus Houston does have a NICE arts scene and some of the best restaurants on the planet.

Houston ballet and opera are one of the best in the country IMO.

Plus if you are into birding Bolivar is a quick drive. January birding is the best.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mexico City. Yes, Mexico City. It's a world-class city with near perfect weather during the northern hemisphere winter. Superb museums, superb food, friendly people, and fantastic value. I've been there many times and have always felt safe.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:21 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjeev0276 View Post
Miami Florida, Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Tuscon, AZ. These all are the places you can enjoy in winter months that includes January.
+1

South Florida is most glorious in January when the northeast is cold and dreary.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

How important is the weather to you? We spent a nice January in an oceanfront condo right on Virginia Beach, it was great, not crowded, beautiful with lots of things to do in the area. But it was not tropical weather. Got a 2 bedroom upscale condo for 1400 bucks for the month. This is cheap enough per night that you can have the condo as a base on go back and forth to other locales if you want to. But you would certainly want a car at most of the places mentioned above.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Sticking with your Southish/Eastish requirement - Charleston, Savannah, and New Orleans would be among my first choices - more charm, less culture. Atlanta, Miami, Raleigh-Chapel Hill, Charlotte & (begrudingly) Houston would be honorable mentions - more culture, less charm (probably fitting the OP's requirements better).

But if cost isn't an issue - Hawaii or the Caribbean!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It sound like the OP prefers domestic destinations..I remember on the last where should I go thread, the OP didn't mention in the first post they had 2 large dogs that would be riding along!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:13 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Houston or Phoenix would be good.

We spent February, 2015 in Las Vegas, Hawaii and San Francisco--all temperate for mid-Winter.

You've got to go to Orlando or south of there to get warm in January. North Florida and the panhandle is windy and most often pretty cold then.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Domestic cities, you've got a good list. You might add Santa Fe, NM to that list, though it can be a bit chilly.

SE US, I agree with the others -- Charleston, Savannah, Atlanta, Charlotte, New Orleans, Miami, Houston - maybe even Key West

If you're open to int'l travel, even in western hemisphere - strong contenders would be San Miguel de Allende, MX, Santiago Chile and Buenos Aires, Arg.

Even further, perhaps Sydney, or Auckland or even Singapore or Tahiti.
TallTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:59 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Fly into Cancún and enjoy anything on the Yucatán Peninsula.

January shouldn't give you too many rainy or unbearable hot days; and, I have always found plenty to do.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Um, don't know how it compares to where you are, but Charleston is mighty chilly in January. Our only days of actual, real, honest to goodness ice happen in January. And the humidity coupled with the onshore breeze can cut you like a knife. But what do I know, I am a local, and as such, a weather wimp when it comes to cold.

I mean, I figure it is better than Buffalo or whatever, but make no mistake, it is pretty dang cold here that time of year. March and April are when I'd come to Chucktown.

Edit to add: when we have ice, our bridges close. Stranding us on the wrong side, usually. It is not awesome.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Yes, they have it all, including massive traffic jams. And if you like traffic jams at all hours, you will absolutely love Houston. The only city that is worse in the US is possibly LA.

I can't believe that I drove in that mess to downtown everyday for almost 40 years. Of course 20, 30 or 40 years ago it wasn't nearly as bad as it is today.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Um, don't know how it compares to where you are, but Charleston is mighty chilly in January. Our only days of actual, real, honest to goodness ice happen in January. And the humidity coupled with the onshore breeze can cut you like a knife. But what do I know, I am a local, and as such, a weather wimp when it comes to cold.

I mean, I figure it is better than Buffalo or whatever, but make no mistake, it is pretty dang cold here that time of year. March and April are when I'd come to Chucktown.

Edit to add: when we have ice, our bridges close. Stranding us on the wrong side, usually. It is not awesome.
It's all relative as you know. 25F warmer and 12" less snow in Charleston sounds like a dream to me vs Jan in Chicago. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

OTOH I'd rather be in Chicago for Summer/Fall!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (254.9 KB, 16 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:57 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Yes, they have it all, including massive traffic jams. And if you like traffic jams at all hours, you will absolutely love Houston. The only city that is worse in the US is possibly LA.

I can't believe that I drove in that mess to downtown everyday for almost 40 years. Of course 20, 30 or 40 years ago it wasn't nearly as bad as it is today.
I lived around 610/Shepherd - I had a 20 minute commute, 30 minutes on a "bad" day.

Plus, the OP can rent a place downtown/midtown for all the arts, music and restaurants - it's a lot nicer than it used to be and has light rail

If we didn't have such great skiing here in January-March I'd seriously consider wintering in Houston.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's typically crisp and clear here in Minnesota in January.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I lived around 610/Shepherd - I had a 20 minute commute, 30 minutes on a "bad" day.

Plus, the OP can rent a place downtown/midtown for all the arts, music and restaurants - it's a lot nicer than it used to be and has light rail

If we didn't have such great skiing here in January-March I'd seriously consider wintering in Houston.
I drove the Gulf Freeway a little past the beltway, every day.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote