Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2019, 05:10 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBear View Post
Oh, I finally started eating breakfast. Never had the time before! Breakfast with DW and great coffee is one of my many favorite things in retirement.
+1! One weekend day a week, we cook pancakes, waffles, popovers, Dutch babies, or something similar...with eggs/omlettes, orange juice and coffee, and fruit. We have a leisurely breakfast on the lanai, and enjoy watching the white terns, red-vented bubuls, egrets, minas, finches, and other birds flying around. I'm looking forward to starting out more days each week this way!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was pretty ambitious to get everything done. Lol Then I realized I didn't had to get it all done on day one.

I learned to find my way but I did stay busy because that is my nature.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

March 29 was my last day-
Spent ten days in Texas, saw a lot came home, went to Big Bear for a week then to Chicago for a week. Started walking at least five miles a day and have had no problem keeping busy since then.
like2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #44

glad you managed to escape from Chicago!
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I needed something to wash my brain cells of the office funk.

So, I clean, repaired, and stained my deck.

I did have to spend a good deal of time making sure I get my health insurance correct. Had to fill some forms, collect some faxes, etc.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:50 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

I was waiting for my renter to move out of my condo so found a cheap place to stay for a month and a half in the meantime in Bocas del Toro, Panama, and took Spanish classes to keep me busy while I was there. Then went on my first cruise ever, as my retirement present, then came home and moved in... Once here, well, still figuring out what to do! Found a gym I like. and volunteered for a short while.
Kim451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
+1! One weekend day a week, we cook pancakes, waffles, popovers, Dutch babies, or something similar...with eggs/omlettes, orange juice and coffee, and fruit. We have a leisurely breakfast on the lanai, and enjoy watching the white terns, red-vented bubuls, egrets, minas, finches, and other birds flying around. I'm looking forward to starting out more days each week this way!

Wow! I'm getting hungry!

Our breakfast is pretty simple, but still a real treat. We eat our big meal in the middle of the afternoon. When the weather is decent, we will prep. fish on the grill and eat outside, both breakfast and dinner. We too enjoy the flowers and birds, esp. hummingbirds, on our back patio. This is our nomal at home day. We've become very good cooks since we can do a healthier, tastier, and cheaper job at home.

Didn't cook much later in my w*rking career. All the eating out was bad for my health. Life's much better now!
Old 08-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Went on a great trip. Details in first post here: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post2280377
Old 08-09-2019, 05:48 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
These sound like great scuba diving destinations...did you dive there?
We are not divers but we did enjoy snorkeling in Bonaire and Curacao.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:55 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

Went to Italy for a month. It was a great way to separate from a 36+year career that was rewarding, but FULL time. That was two years ago, still traveling much of the time and loving it. Next up, Indonesia,, snorkeling and bird watching, chasing National Geographic moments with my equally nature geeky husband.
Gadabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:41 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I slept, 10-12 hours a day for the first month. I was exhausted from w***
Sanbenito1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #52
Confused about dryer sheets

Played a lot of golf and go fishing.
Mailman87120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #53
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
We are not divers but we did enjoy snorkeling in Bonaire and Curacao.
I love Curacao.
Mailman87120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:47 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I posted previously about hiking and camping with grandkids. Still in my first month, just scheduled a 3 week trip to Thailand .
Old 08-23-2019, 04:55 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Golf. The first day of retirement went out and won the local city tournament....then kept golfing. It is a good walk....
gooddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 06:21 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Party!
carty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 07:50 PM   #57

Lost my alarm clock and slept in. Every...single...day!!
Old 08-23-2019, 08:19 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

I unplugged the alarm clock and stowed it somewhere - I have no idea where it is now . Then I went through all my clothes and donated several dozen suits, slacks, and blouses to an organization that provides clothes to women to wear to interviews, etc. Then I re-did my closet: installed lots of shelves for folded clothes and reduced the space for hung-up clothes, since I now live in t-shirts, sweatshirts, shorts, and athletic pants. Then I backslid and took on too many consultings jobs (all remote so the wardrobe was okay, but I felt like I was w*rking again). Took me almost 2 years to extricate myself from the consulting.

Now I spend every morning gloriously reading and drinking tea on the porch, then hiking in the woods or lifting weights, then rediscovering my love for creating botanical art and/or cooking and/or teaching myself Japanese woodworking techniques and/or making spreadsheets to track financial stuff and/or visiting new breweries with friends and/or helping my parents out in their new independent living patio home. It’s a wonderful life!
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

I slept. A lot! I was pretty burnt out. Honestly my first two months or so of retirement were pretty stressful. Converting my retirement accounts to IRAs. I found more taxing than I had imagined to actually implement my plan when it became a reality instead of a hypothetical.
I did find find the energy to declutter my house and rid of most of my work clothes, clean and organize the garage etc.. Spent more time with family.
I’m feeling good now. I started going back to the gym. I’m eating much healthier. I started taking golf lessons again and I’m getting the house ready to sell so I can move into a kind of house I’ve always dreamed of having. Nothing fancy but nice.
I would never consider going back to work doing what I did but there is a volunteer opportunity I may pursue.
I’m very fortunate. Life is good.
Old 08-23-2019, 10:11 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogGone View Post
Looking for learnings:

Just chill?
Start with good habits off the bat?
Make sure you have a routine?
We had already made plans to travel. We visited and lived in New Mexico for two months.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote