Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #181
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post

Bottom line - I'm a bit bored...the former excitement and glory of what I do is largely gone. I see that some of you who are FIREd are a bit bored...it happens I guess, but I have a lot of things I want to do once I am FIREd...hope I don't get bored.

R
Bored? Us? Well maybe a little the last few days. Frigging hurricanes keeping me indoors and off the links. Oh well, going to start a new book today. Not raining at the moment so going to take the dog for a walk. Also time to give her a bath. A little on the smelly side. Or is that me?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #182
Recycles dryer sheets

Summer is quickly fleeing the area. I have the top off the Jeep and will be taking a drive in about an hour. In another week or two I will have to put the top back on. We will have a few weeks of Indian summer in October, but for the most part summer is giving way to fall. We have already had nights in the mid 40's.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:27 AM   #183
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Bottom line - I'm a bit bored...the former excitement and glory of what I do is largely gone. I see that some of you who are FIREd are a bit bored...it happens I guess, but I have a lot of things I want to do once I am FIREd...hope I don't get bored.

R
Well it's easy to get bored when you're pretty much doing the same thing day after day, and I this applies to retirement just as much as working life. You can definitely get stuck in a rut no matter what your lifestyle.

Also - all major anticipated life changes go through a honeymoon phase followed by a "OK this is reality" phase and then an adjustment to balance the two. From what I have read some newly retireds go through this as well in the first year, especially if you expected it all to be sugar and spice and endless happiness.

Bored retiree? Nope! Definitely not me! And I am a person who requires constant variety in my life. [This requirement is one thing that makes it so challenging for me to maintain a regular exercise program - gotta constantly vary it or boredom will result in blowing it off] But I just don't get bored with my retired life in general. Perhaps because I have adopted a lifestyle that supplies constant variety and challenges without being so stressful that one can't relax a lot as well.

Audrey
Old 09-04-2008, 01:57 PM   #184
Give me a forum ...

Yea! I got to play golf again today. Got rained on pretty good the last 2 holes, but we got it in. Come home and see the DOW down more than 300 points. This is getting old.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #185
Administrator

Today (so far) I've had coffee, walked the dog, worked on a score and read the Sarah Palin thread. Now I'm considering a stiff drink to go with the 2 advil I just took.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #186
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Today (so far) I've had coffee, walked the dog, worked on a score and read the Sarah Palin thread. Now I'm considering a stiff drink to go with the 2 advil I just took.
If you read it front start to finish, you gonna need 2 stiff drinks to go with the advil.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #187
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yea! I got to play golf again today. Got rained on pretty good the last 2 holes, but we got it in. Come home and see the DOW down more than 300 points. This is getting old.
You have to expect the downward trend to continue - especially through September given this month's historical trend. I got out of every mutual fund I owned in May (selling portions into the rallies on up days) based on the 6mo/12mo simple moving average bearish trend on major US Indices:

S&P 500 INDEX ($INX) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money

Now the tough part (for me in previous downturns anyway) is sticking to the signals and only re-entering on the long term trend reversal and not getting back in too early.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #188
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was planning on going to the BMW golf tourny today in St. Louis, but its raining. So I rested up for tommorow.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #189
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's started raining here about 5am, and it still is 13 1/2 hours later. W2R is sharing remnants of Gustav with us today...."Thanks!". So I spent most of the day out in my hobby room working on the train layout, and listening to the "oldies" radio station. The time really flew by both yesterday & today, I spent over 7 hours out there each day, and it didn't seem like I was more than a couple of hours each time. In fact yesterday I even missed lunch.....but not today!
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 PM   #190
Give me a forum ...

Up at 5:30 'cause I couldn't sleep later than that. Had anti-pasti salad for breakfast (from the gig last night). Still not healthy enough due to pieces of salami, mordadella, etc. but I skipped most of those.

62 degrees in the house, and I didn't want to start a fire, so I did some baking. Baked some Backpacker bars for bike rides. Then baked some crackers from a recipe in The Tightwad Gazette.

Did one hour of sight-reading practice from a hymnal.

"Worked" on the Internet, printed recipe for strawberry pineapple jam, downloaded month-end dividends, checked credit card, etc. Got the mail, sat and looked at the view.

Ate lunch -- more anti-pasti salad. Still only half done with it. Hammock was in the sun, so I lay in the hammock for a while, and slept a bit.

Rode to town on my bike -- broke all-time record by six minutes (avg speed 18 MPH) due to bodacious tailwind. Ate backpacker bar. Rode back home through headwind, had beer and peanuts. Noticed mold on ceiling. Critiqued DW's grocery shopping purchases, posted this.

Projected: shower, maybe some more sight-reading practice, eat dinner of salmon plus more gig salad. Watch recorded Leno, Conan, and news. Go to bed at 10.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:12 PM   #191
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Boredom? This whole concept puzzles me. If you ever go through a traumatic experience (health, divorce, whatever) it sure gives you a different outlook on everyday life. For me, I'm so happy every hour of every day that nothing difficult occurs in my life.

Especially in this current economic climate with people losing their homes and jobs, going bankrupt, etc etc. The ordinary, ho-hum existence of retirement looks pretty good by comparison. I can't believe sometimes how lucky I am!
Old 09-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #192

Today we did something outside our norm and comfort zone: going downtown to hear a free Latin jazz concert. We would never have done this while we were working---would have been too tired and would have had to work on a Friday afternoon. Had so much fun! Even got to eat some pretty good Mediterranean food.

When we came home, I've been playing online. Discovered a good Cajun restaurant here. Have been mesmerized by reading all the political stuff. This election may be exceptionally interesting and important, but in years prior to retirement, would have been too exhausted to really care.

Now it's off to work on a pasta salad for tomorrow night (yet another Meetup group that we are trying----another new activity for our newly social selves).

And speaking of cooking---Al----you didn't think you would mention making strawberry pineapple jam and not have someone request the recipe, did you? That someone is me! I'd love the recipe, if it's not too much trouble.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #193
Give me a forum ...

You got it:

Click Here for the strawberry pineapple jam recipe.

I just made two batches of this stuff -- finished 20 minutes ago. But I'll warn you that it only makes about 7 cups of jam, although it takes just about as much work (and as much pectin) as a recipe that yields 11 cups.

My favorite is Orange-Pineapple marmalade. Just follow the instructions in the Sure-Jell pack (or MCP) for orange marmelade, but replace 50% of the oranges with crushed pineapple (from a jar, undrained). It is a lot of work, but worth it.

I like to use the largest jars you can get (e.g. four cup). That way I have fewer separate jars, lids, etc. to deal with. When you're using jam from a big jar, and half is gone, move it to a smaller jar.

I find making jam extremely difficult. Boiling sticky stuff everywhere, and if you get anything wrong, it won't set. At least I didn't burn myself today.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #194

Thanks, Al---sounds good, but I was hoping it would be refrigerator type jam where you just keep it in your fridge for a couple of weeks in a plastic container. The actual canning/jarring is kind of scary---I've never actually done it. Maybe that should go on my bucket list!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #195
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangomonster View Post
Thanks, Al---sounds good, but I was hoping it would be refrigerator type jam where you just keep it in your fridge for a couple of weeks in a plastic container. The actual canning/jarring is kind of scary---I've never actually done it. Maybe that should go on my bucket list!

Canning/jarring/pickling is not too bad; I've done it a few times for the heck of it. Have also done freezer pickles. Do follow directions carefully if you attempt.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:58 PM   #196
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Might look into it. Right now, time for a nap. Got a few James Patterson books to read. Wonder what I should tackle first. Cross, Lifeguard, Beach Road, or Honeymoon? My sis-in-law loaned me a few. I was saving them for winter, but might as well get started while it's crappy outside.
His Cross books are the best, the rest are a bit rinky dink.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 09-05-2008, 09:16 PM   #197
Moderator Emeritus

At Pennisula State Park along Green Bay (Door county) in Wisconsin. Got up this am, checked my email, called some people, and did the board. Had a half an avocado for breakfast. Spouse and I took the dog for a walk. I read two old magazines on making wire jewelery. Then we went on a scooter ride to Whitefish Dunes state park, on the Lake Michigan side of the Pennisula. Lake Michigan is still surprisingly warm.

Came back to the MH and Greg made soup for lunch while I goofed around on the net. The soup was nummy. I then went on a hike up inland. The trail was really rocky and I wished I would have worn boots instead of shoes. Scared up a flicker, but otherwise spotted very little wildlife. Enjoyed the hemlock and beech trees that we don't have back home.

Came back, scootered around a bit. Ate left over soup. Visited with some people who have a motorhome just like ours. Walked the dog and now I am messing around on the net while the dh snores.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 09-05-2008, 09:37 PM   #198
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
At Pennisula State Park along Green Bay (Door county) in Wisconsin. Got up this am, checked my email, called some people, and did the board. Had a half an avocado for breakfast. Spouse and I took the dog for a walk. I read two old magazines on making wire jewelery. Then we went on a scooter ride to Whitefish Dunes state park, on the Lake Michigan side of the Pennisula. Lake Michigan is still surprisingly warm.

Came back to the MH and Greg made soup for lunch while I goofed around on the net. The soup was nummy. I then went on a hike up inland. The trail was really rocky and I wished I would have worn boots instead of shoes. Scared up a flicker, but otherwise spotted very little wildlife. Enjoyed the hemlock and beech trees that we don't have back home.

Came back, scootered around a bit. Ate left over soup. Visited with some people who have a motorhome just like ours. Walked the dog and now I am messing around on the net while the dh snores.
I don't know how you stand the stress...
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 AM   #199
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
did the board
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:43 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
did the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Damn, and I went for a bike ride...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Closed Thread