Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM   #2001
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Check out this clip of Julie and Julia from Conan:

The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien - Conan & Andy On The Aisle (08/04/09) - Video - NBC.com

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #2002
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
No, I thought you were! The line inside was about 60 feet long and doubled back on the same 60 feet more than a half a dozen times...a mass of humanity, with people within inches of you or touching you in front, behind, and on both sides,...And then that wasn't enough space so the end of the line went out the door and into the parking lot where I spent the first 15 minutes in 90+ degree heat and direct sun. There was a guard whose sole job was to tell those outside when they could come inside.

After you got through the line, there were about 400-500 chairs, about half filled, with people waiting for their numbers to be called. Such is life in the (once upon a time) big city...
I am looking forward to moving to Springfield! While it isn't as remote as your location, I suspect that lines will be shorter.
Sounds like Disneyland with no fun ride waiting for you.
But then again, I just got off a cruise ship that was fully booked with over 3900 passengers and over 1200 crew.
I just had an inspiration for a thread, hopefully not a duplicate of past topics.
Look for "Country Mouse or City Mouse" as the title. See ya there!

Old 08-06-2009, 12:05 PM   #2003
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I thought you were! The line inside was about 60 feet long and doubled back on the same 60 feet more than a half a dozen times. They had stands with straps connected to them, like at a bank (but much closer together), to keep you from cutting in. So for an hour you were in a mass of humanity, with people within inches of you or touching you in front, behind, and on both sides, the vast majority of whom did not speak English and/or had a cell phone glued to their ears at all times. Sort of like a giant subway in rush hour, I suppose. Not for the claustrophobic or the easily bored, and with all those bodies in close proximity the A/C just couldn't begin to keep up. And then that wasn't enough space so the end of the line went out the door and into the parking lot where I spent the first 15 minutes in 90+ degree heat and direct sun. There was a guard whose sole job was to tell those outside when they could come inside.

After you got through the line, there were about 400-500 chairs, about half filled, with people waiting for their numbers to be called. Such is life in the (once upon a time) big city. I thought they did a great job getting all of us through that line so quickly - - obviously they knew what they were doing though it wasn't much fun.

I am looking forward to moving to Springfield! While it isn't as remote as your location, I suspect that lines will be shorter.
Good God! You need to move to the Boonies!
Old 08-06-2009, 02:57 PM   #2004
Confused about dryer sheets

I'm updating my spreadsheet on my IRA/ROTH.

Have been thinking of converting some of my IRA or even my 401k at some point to my ROTH. So many things to look at... which is a subject for another thread I'm sure. But one thing I did find over the past few days of sorting, shredding, trashing and organizing 28 or so years worth of financial/tax documents is that I probably didn't report to the IRS very accurately. I noted in my Fed Taxes that I didn't always send in a 8606 form the years that I did a non-deductible IRA contribution and It also doesn't look like I reported my prior years contributions always accurately when I did fill that form out. Looks like I've got a few more days of getting this all straightened out...

I think I will start separate threads on "What Papers to save for tax purposes" and another on my "IRA basis fiasco". Well it's not really a fiasco as I have essentially all the documents I need to straighten it out. Seems I made more errors on my taxes back when I was in my early 20s than I do now. Wish I knew how to be more organized back then.

I did play golf yesterday though..

Life is good.. R
Old 08-06-2009, 04:33 PM   #2005
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, I thought you were! The line inside was about 60 feet long and doubled back on the same 60 feet more than a half a dozen times. They had stands with straps connected to them, like at a bank (but much closer together), to keep you from cutting in. So for an hour you were in a mass of humanity, with people within inches of you or touching you in front, behind, and on both sides, the vast majority of whom did not speak English and/or had a cell phone glued to their ears at all times. Sort of like a giant subway in rush hour, I suppose. Not for the claustrophobic or the easily bored, and with all those bodies in close proximity the A/C just couldn't begin to keep up. And then that wasn't enough space so the end of the line went out the door and into the parking lot where I spent the first 15 minutes in 90+ degree heat and direct sun. There was a guard whose sole job was to tell those outside when they could come inside.

After you got through the line, there were about 400-500 chairs, about half filled, with people waiting for their numbers to be called. Such is life in the (once upon a time) big city. I thought they did a great job getting all of us through that line so quickly - - obviously they knew what they were doing though it wasn't much fun.

I used to get mine in Slidell and even there lines were sometime chewy - then they went to a 'take a number system.'

Here - 50 miles north of KC 15-20 in line and the locals say pssst - Savanah, MO at the right time has virtually no line.

Haven't tryed that - but I did go there (instead of south) for my fireworks this year.

heh heh heh - I see Madina's has a branch in Slidell now.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
I used to get mine in Slidell and even there lines were sometime chewy - then they went to a 'take a number system.'

Here - 50 miles north of KC 15-20 in line and the locals say pssst - Savanah, MO at the right time has virtually no line.

Haven't tryed that - but I did go there (instead of south) for my fireworks this year.

heh heh heh - I see Madina's has a branch in Slidell now.
Yes, Mandina's has a branch in Slidell, another in Mandeville, and one in BR, now. Somehow since the storm, it's never been quite the same even on Canal. We used to go there every Saturday before the storm, but have only been there three or four times since.

I like the lack of lines you described!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #2007
Moderator Emeritus

Prepping for Hurricane Felicia:
Naval Maritime Forecast Center/Joint Typhoon Warning Center (NMFC/JTWC)
http://metocph.nmci.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/ep0809.gif

Rarely had one this early in the season and almost never this far north. It's settled down quite a bit as it's hit the colder waters to the east of the Big Island. Yesterday it was a Cat 4 with a nasty-looking eye and over 130 knots but today it's "barely" above 100 knots. That's the remnants of Tropical Storm Enrique to Felicia's northeast.

If this trend continues then the fun should start Monday night for a few days of 3-6" of rain and perhaps winds of 50-60 knots. (This should ease the droughts on Maui & the Big Island.) We'll probably lose electricity for a couple days.

Red Cross alerted spouse yesterday that they might set up the shelter this weekend. (Elementary school a half-mile from our house.) She's a volunteer shelter operator but I don't think they'll actually be setting up cots on Monday.

It's been a couple years since one got this close, and everybody needs the practice. So yesterday we gassed up the cars, checked out the pantry, started making more ice, and vacuumed the palm nuts out of the gutters. Also checked on our tenants (they know the drill), a friend's house (she's on the Mainland) and the landlord of the house across the street (backyard missile hazards). Unless things turn really nasty at the last minute I don't think we'll have to resort to screwing plywood over the windows or filling water jugs. And of course we don't have to worry about the highways being clogged with evacuating cars...

I know our real estate can handle 75 knots but we've never really figured out the nasty forecast at which we'd stop talking about it, put the bunny in the closet under the steps with food & water, and then head for the shelter. Hope we never figure that out.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:05 PM   #2008
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So I've been off kayakin at my favorite lake. One day I realized that my camera was in my pocket. Without any plastic bag to keep it from getting wet. It did not.

Took some random pictures:

Also had a visitor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Que_bow-Wave.jpg (416.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Que_paddle_drop.jpg (357.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DragonFl.jpg (437.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #2009
Give me a forum ...

I had an unexpected unpleasant experience today.
I had the day pre-planned with a friend, as of yesterday. I was all showered and ready to go for some misc errands, lunch at a Greek restaurant, and then to a discount restaurant supply place.
My "friend" called me this AM, last minute and told me she had completely different plans, no apology, and maybe we could try again next week. HUH?
So I called dh2b, who said to pick up something quick and come and have lunch with him.
So Chopped Liver (me) had lunch with 2nd Fiddle (him).
Happy ending.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 PM   #2010
Full time employment: Posting here.

Landed an awesome opportunity for where I work and myself....to do chair massages for a local police department while they play golf at a country club on Monday! Yay....now if they were only in uniform
Got my own massage, went to a meeting, ordered a brooklyn pie for dinner, and plan on relaxing tonight
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #2011
Moderator Emeritus

Shamelessly reposted from Ataloss on Raddr's board:
How Different Groups Spend Their Day - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com

"The American Time Use Survey": how different groups spend their day.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:17 AM   #2012
Give me a forum ...

I spent the day in another city giving a workshop. I had a flight connection on the way home. The first flight was late and the last straw occured when a passenger failed to show and his/her suitcase had to be removed. We arrived at the stopover city four minutes before my second flight was due to take off. I was immediately whisked to the waiting plane, two gates away, and we left exactly on time. On arrival, my suitcase was one of the first to emerge on the carousel.

This was such a pleasant surprise that I went to thank the airline staff. I don't know how they did it, but I'm very pleased they did!

This is the airline: www.westjet.com
Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 AM   #2013
Give me a forum ...

Last night my group played a wonderful gig in this building (mouse over it to see what it really looks like). It was at a posh members-only club, and they really loved our singer. Unfortunately, I couldn't get pictures while we were playing; I took these while setting up.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #2014
Give me a forum ...

I became rather nostalgic today, so I called a friend I have known for 26 years. I hadn't spoken to him in almost 12 years and it was great hearing his voice.

However, it seems his plans for early retirement have been put on hold. He found out a few months ago he has a 14 year old daughter.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #2015
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I became rather nostalgic today, so I called a friend I have known for 26 years. I hadn't spoken to him in almost 12 years and it was great hearing his voice.

However, it seems his plans for early retirement have been put on hold. He found out a few months ago he has a 14 year old daughter.
I suggest DNA testing.

Ha
Old 08-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #2016
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I suggest DNA testing.

Ha
That was done...and he says she has his features. So there ya go....stuff happens.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #2017
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am having a nice, quiet day today. Talked to my aunt, talked to my son, talked to a friend on vacation, went to the gym, went to B & N. Bought a book entitled "Becoming Jane Austen". The recent movie was based on it. Tomorrow I have tickets for a play in Pittsburgh "The History Boys". I saw the movie a year or so ago. The play has gotten great reviews. Will be hot tomorrow and (groan) they are doing lane closures on the parkway. These "road improvements" drag on for years.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:23 PM   #2018
Give me a forum ...

It is still early here, but later I will go to a Happy Hour with a son. So far I have taken some walks, gone to a favorite coffee house, called my brother to chat and done some health related web reading. I am making a list of lipid related studies to read at the Medical Library. I have found that it is useless to harmful to accept the paper summaries or abstracts, and doubly useless or harmful to accept the media coverage of health matters.

Ha
Old 08-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #2019
Give me a forum ...

Just got off the phone with my best lady friend, who is dealing with her husband's colon cancer diagnosis and recent surgery (successful so far) and double job loss.
She had an interview last week that went extremely well. I helped coach her with some fresh ideas for that critical followup call to thank the interviewer and ask any more questions. Interviewer was the company Comptroller (not HR) and encouraged her to call him directly if they missed discussing anything the other day.
Her positive attitude and go-get-'em methods of dealing with this mess is so refreshing.
Once again I know why she is my best friend, no, make that adopted sister.
Old 08-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #2020
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My "friend" called me this AM, last minute and told me she had completely different plans, no apology, and maybe we could try again next week. HUH?
You could win for losing this "friend"?

Let us know if there are any further chapters in this saga.