Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #2021
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since DW went to Sweden to visit her folks last week. I can't seem to get myself to go to bed until very late, and I still wake up at 6 AM.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 AM   #2022
Full time employment: Posting here.

I am playing hooky from school
Lounging around and doing not much of anything.....life is good!
Old 08-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #2023
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
You could win for losing this "friend"?

Let us know if there are any further chapters in this saga.
Exactly what dh2b said.
I usually cut her extra slack because she went through a very tough time losing both husband and mother within 2 weeks of each other a few years back, right after she retired. It affected her very deeply. Now she is really truly selling her house and moving to FL to live near a sister. Too many changes...
I'll take the "wait and see" approach to see if she recovers from whatever was under her fingernails (not me) that day.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #2024
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I haven't gotten a good night's sleep since DW went to Sweden to visit her folks last week. I can't seem to get myself to go to bed until very late, and I still wake up at 6 AM.
How do we forward a link of this posting to your wife's E-mail, so you get brownie points?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 PM   #2025
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here ya go...and don't forget the teddy!

This is very beautiful music.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:59 PM   #2026
Give me a forum ...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-09-2009, 01:08 PM   #2027

We returned back home from the DE trip for my half-sister's 60th wedding anniversary party. She and her husband were like older brother & sister to me and my sisters so we're all close. We left the hotel at 8:00 AM to avoid any weekend traffic jams at the Chesapeake Bay bridge and had no trouble with that.

A great party - some discussion given to whether my mother even knew I existed at the time of my half-sister's wedding - Mom would have been about three months at the time. As usual at such events, more food was available than anyone could possibly hope to eat.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #2028
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today we went out and gathered some green pecans and made Vin de Noix. The French make this with green walnuts, but I found that local pecans work just as well. You have to gather the nuts before the husks open, while the shells are still soft, and the nuts milky inside. It is almost too late now, probably should have done this a week ago.

It makes an brandy-like aperitif that you serve cold. This batch will be ready at Thanksgiving. The recipe makes more than you will ever drink during a year, so you will have a lot to give away.

The recipe is here
Vin de Noix
Old 08-09-2009, 05:31 PM   #2029
Moderator Emeritus

Hurricane preps almost complete. Felicia has spun down and is about to hit the skids as a tropical depression, but we're still going to get several inches of rain dumped on us Tuesday-Wednesday. This is the first major test of Oahu's electrical grid this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
How do we forward a link of this posting to your wife's E-mail, so you get brownie points?
Trombone Al's just afraid that someone has cell-phone-camera photos of what he's been doing in the bars until such late hours...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 08-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #2030
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hurricane preps almost complete. Felicia has spun down and is about to hit the skids as a tropical depression, but we're still going to get several inches of rain dumped on us Tuesday-Wednesday. This is the first major test of Oahu's electrical grid this year...
Would it be completely tacky to say "batten down the hatches" right now?
Hope all turns out well there. Stay safe!
Old 08-09-2009, 06:54 PM   #2031

Watched Crimson Tide last night. Don't know how true-to-life the story is, but have a new appreciation for Nords and his fellow submariners...

R
Old 08-09-2009, 06:57 PM   #2032
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rambler, if you want to have some fun ask Nords who played him in the movie...
Old 08-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #2033
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Here you go Al. Looks a little Swedish. Might be worth a try. And no......I don't have one.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:59 PM   #2034

[quote=Nords;843563]Hurricane preps almost complete. Felicia has spun down and is about to hit the skids as a tropical depression, but we're still going to get several inches of rain dumped on us Tuesday-Wednesday. This is the first major test of Oahu's electrical grid this year...

Nords, last week DW and I dropped down to Ft. Myers Beach for a little
R & R and heard about the hurricane about to hit you. I got to thinking, I thought all "hurricanes" in the Pacific were called typhoons. I know that's what they are called in Okinawa. Clue me in again.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #2035
Give me a forum ...

Gee, thanks for the sleep aids, guys.

After a Friday and Saturday of gigs and socializing and dealing with more credit card fraud aftermath, I spent all of Sunday sitting in a recliner and reading a book. Didn't talk to anyone, didn't leave the house, didn't do chores. I call this recharging my introvert batteries, and I slept well last night.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
Watched Crimson Tide last night. Don't know how true-to-life the story is, but have a new appreciation for Nords and his fellow submariners...

R
The movies don't come close to capturing the feel of it. After a tour of the USS Torsk (WWII diesel sub) at the Baltimore Maritime Museum all of the guys I was with agreed that "Those guys had Big Brass Ones".

I cannot imagine working for months at a time under such cramped conditions while listening to depth charges. While I'm sure modern submarines have a little bit more room, there probably isn't much more.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #2037
Give me a forum ...

Man......just finished mowing my mother's grass. Completely soaked with sweat. Temperature not bad but just frigging muggy. Time for a shower and nap.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #2038
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Man......just finished mowing my mother's grass. Completely soaked with sweat. Temperature not bad but just frigging muggy. Time for a shower and nap.

The humidity down here is so bad and it really knocks down people from their mid-50's on who are perfectly physically capable of mowing, otherwise.

Time to get her to hire someone to mow her lawn. Let me see... I guess I mowed mine until I was 56 but probably should have quit sooner. Now I hire a lawn guy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 08-10-2009, 12:29 PM   #2039
Give me a forum ...

The day started with a downpour...rained all AM. Now it's just muggy and 82F. Cloud cover and shapes tell me more rain is coming.
I had a few things I wanted to do outside, but there is always tomorrow. That still feels so good to say.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #2040
Give me a forum ...

I survived another morning at the p.d. It was dicey.

Came home and chugged a beer.