Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #2081
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had some real excitement today...a strong thunderstorm cell passed right over the house. I never got a single "1-1000" out of my mouth between the cracks (lightning) and the booms (thunder).
The windows even shook a bit on a few of the booms. This all lasted for about half an hour.
The lightning was really beautiful.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #2082
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post

Then she needs to visit Cedar Key ,Florida , That is where they harvest the clams .
You have evoked a memory. 30 years ago my parents were in Cedar Key. Mother went out for a walk one early morning and ended up sitting on a bench near the beach while some old guy opened up oysters for her to eat. Father came along a while later and made a point of putting his hand on her shoulder and saying how much he loved her.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #2083
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am going to have to put this Cedar Key on my culinary radar...for the shellfish, not the old guy. I get down to FL a couple of times a year.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:09 PM   #2084
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
I am going to have to put this Cedar Key on my culinary radar...for the shellfish, not the old guy. I get down to FL a couple of times a year.

It is an old fishing village . Fun for a day or two after that pretty boring but good seafood .
Old 08-18-2009, 09:10 PM   #2085
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
You have evoked a memory. 30 years ago my parents were in Cedar Key. Mother went out for a walk one early morning and ended up sitting on a bench near the beach while some old guy opened up oysters for her to eat. Father came along a while later and made a point of putting his hand on her shoulder and saying how much he loved her.
I am so glad I invoked a happy memory !
Old 08-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #2086
Give me a forum ...

I waved off the early bike ride this morning and slept until 10. Made a salad for lunch, poked around on the forum and watched tv.

Then, I slapped on some natural beauty and met friends for happy hour. I saw a guy there that I had not seen since my retirement luncheon almost 11 years ago. He was the Vice President of sales at my Megacorp at that time. Ordered a Duvel beer that a forum friend suggested I try, and by the time I finished it, I was rolling with laughter. Came home and wanted something to eat. DH made a sandwich for me.

Ahhh, a Duvel and having DH make a sandwich for me (and I didn't even have to ask)...it does not take much to make me happy.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:39 AM   #2087
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
...Oh, I remember now how I got in a good mood. I passed a huge kidney stone over the weekend that had hurt me for more than 2 weeks.
Are you going to follow in Capt Kirk's footsteps?
USATODAY.com - William Shatner sells kidney stone

Glad to hear you're rid of that little gem.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #2088
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Are you going to follow in Capt Kirk's footsteps?
USATODAY.com - William Shatner sells kidney stone

Glad to hear you're rid of that little gem.
If NW-Bound is not famous in real life, the market outlook in kidney stone futures might be bleak......
Old 08-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #2089

I took a vacation day today to get together with a former co-worker who left early for health reasons. We had lunch and planned on seeing a movie, however she got sick after eating so I drove her home. I took a short walk and did some reading. Made a cauldron of soup this afternoon to last me the rest of the week. Back to my desk tomorrow. Got to talk to to my friend over lunch. She seems happy in retirement. Plays a lot of bridge and enjoys gardening. Something to look forward to.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #2090

Did a load of exercise. DW and I resorted to sipping margaritas. In the meantime we made a kicking Thai spicy lemon grass soup! Yum.. Gosh anyone ever look at the calories in coconut milk
Old 08-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #2091
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Gosh anyone ever look at the calories in coconut milk
Wow! I just looked it up. For THAT many calories, it really ought to taste a lot more fabulous than it really does.

I haven't had any since I was young and slender, and lived in Hawaii with lots of coconut trees in the back yard. I always thought coconut milk was low calorie, since it isn't thick.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 08-19-2009, 08:56 PM   #2092
Recycles dryer sheets

Took a 10-mile bicycle ride this morning. Did some laundry and a little cleanup.

Brought my elderly neighbors a printout from an organization which will give dogs to senior citizens for a nominal fee. My neighbors are not on the Internet so I have been searching for a free dog for them. I chat with them a couple of times a week when I'm out for a walk or bike ride and pass their house.

Took a nap, then watched a thunderstorm while sitting on the porch. Love to do that.

Talked with my wife.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:30 AM   #2093

Yesterday I rode the bike up to Hagerstown, MD to see a WWII B-17, a B-24 and a P-51 fighter that was supposed to be there. Couldn't find them, no one knew where they were, although one person said a 30-minute ride in the bombers was $450. Hmm... might go for it. Gave up looking and came home. Got dehydrated in the heat and humidity so stayed inside the rest of the day.

DW comes back from SC today!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #2094
Give me a forum ...

Had dinner at a neighbor's house. I realized that anyone who socializes like this regularly is behind the eight ball when it comes to eating sensibly. I probably ate four times as much as I would normally eat. Beer, wine, spaghetti, chicken, pie, ice cream and foof.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #2095
Give me a forum ...

I've never had foof...
Old 08-20-2009, 01:44 PM   #2096
Give me a forum ...

Took the furry kids for a tuneup (rabies shots).
Awaiting thunderstorms moving in from the west...
Just love hearing those words "torrential downpours"...NOT!
Same for tomorrow...70% rain Friday and into Saturday AM.
We need to build a rain runoff pipeline to Texas. Between all of us, we could design it, finance it, build it, and make a killing on the profits.

Headed out for $3.99 spaghetti dinner in an AC dining room...
Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM   #2097

Nords, just reread all the posts to get up to date, and decided to look up "typhoon" in Websters. It is described as a cyclone originating in the "western" Pacific. Also, for what I can determine, the term hurricane and cyclone could be used interchangeably although the term hurricane is always used for these storms in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico.

On second thought, just forget this post and look it up on Google. There are a lot of definitions.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #2098
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yesterday I rode the bike up to Hagerstown, MD to see a WWII B-17, a B-24 and a P-51 fighter that was supposed to be there. Couldn't find them, no one knew where they were, although one person said a 30-minute ride in the bombers was $450. Hmm... might go for it.
I took a ride on one of these B17's a few years ago, here in Leesburg, VA. It was great, price was around $400. My dad was a radio/gunner on a B17 during WWII, flew many missions over Italy and Germany so it was kind of neat to take the ride and see just a bit of what it must have been like.

I believe the B17 will be in Leesburg again later this month if you want to try again. Here's a link:

Town of Leesburg : News : Leesburg Executive Airport Open House to be held August 29th
Old 08-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #2099
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I've never had foof...
This is what we call "foof:"

Old 08-20-2009, 06:17 PM   #2100
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
This is what we call "foof:"
Oh, OK. I've definitely had foof. Just not saying where when.