what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Things are getting exciting! :dance: Some mentioned wanting to hear my experiences during my final week at work, and what is happening and how I am feeling.

Today I had my exit interview with HR. They gave me copies of all the paperwork that they are going to send to OPM the day after I leave. One specifically states that I am retiring and that I appear to be eligible to continue my medical coverage into retirement, and for the first time this is IN WRITING and signed by my HR rep. :clap: Of course OPM has the last word but they usually agree with the local HR people.

My exit clearance is complete with all 20 signatures, except for returning my badge and parking permit. All my paperwork is done.

I have nothing left in my cubicle except office supplies (and my exit clearance form), and nothing whatsoever left on my computer or LAN. All my e-mails are deleted or passed on, and I have composed my "Out of Office Assistant" message to turn on next Monday. Just now I have been cleaning the countertops and whiteboard.

DO YOU THINK I AM READY YET? :2funny::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My (kind, very human) supervisor asked me if I felt a little sad in some ways, thinking "I will never walk these halls again!". :ROFLMAO: I politely told her that it is like graduation. You know you will think back fondly upon this period in your life, and you know you won't be seeing your friends every day any more. But you also know that you are moving on to something else. While one may occasionally reminisce, it is unlikely that one would spend a whole lot of time looking back, coming back to visit the old workplace, and such. She said I should come back at least once, to give the others hope. :2funny:

Attachments

• DSC01125.jpg
    DSC01125.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC01126.jpg
    DSC01126.jpg
    464.6 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01127.jpg
    DSC01127.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC01128.jpg
    DSC01128.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 11
As for me, I'm stumbling through my house of disarray....:blink:
Your bathtub photo seems like a very efficient approach to one's bathroom routine, but when you flush that toilet I bet it's a good thing for your avatar that you're wearing boots...

Voted. Town supervisors, judges, school board.

The big brouhaha around here is school consolidation. In the last 20 years or so the student population fell by nearly 50%. Some folks still want to maintain two schools instead of busing some 15 miles to another one. I voted for the bunch that wants to consolidate.

Will be interesting to see how much actual money is saved by the consolidation. Likely less than projected.

Tomorrow, cataract surgery 1st of the two eyes. I am really curious if I will have true binocular stereoscopic vision for the first time in 61.99 years.

Babysitting the guys installing the floors. My house is one big dust bomb.

Is it hardwood floors you are having installed? I had hardwoods put down in a few rooms about 10 years ago and I think I must have continued to find dust from that mess for about a year. Despite my continual cleaning, I'd go into a closet or up to a shelf I hadn't visited in a while and still find dust many months later.

The guys did a good job but I am convinced that they must have brought the power tools into the house and cut the boards inside. When I left for work, the tools and the flooring were in the garage. But who knows what happened after I left. Yet another great thing about being retired - I can stay now and watch these things like a hawk!

Ive been playing nurse. DW has had the flu not pleasant stuff. Good thing I made soup the other day. Hope I dont get the stuff. :sick:

Is it hardwood floors you are having installed? I had hardwoods put down in a few rooms about 10 years ago and I think I must have continued to find dust from that mess for about a year. Despite my continual cleaning, I'd go into a closet or up to a shelf I hadn't visited in a while and still find dust many months later.
No...it's Amtico laminate flooring. I know laminate puts a bad taste in most people's mouths, but this stuff is unbelievable. It looks and feels like wood under the feet, but is practically indestructible. The warranty on this flooring will outlive me. I had hardwood floors in my last house, and I loved them. However we have two cats and we are two messy, boot scootin' humans. :LOL:

I had it put in my laundry room, kitchen and dining room 3 years ago. I decided to go with it in other areas because it looks so great. The dust came/comes from the carpet I tore out and the guys having to level/smooth the floors. There's no doubt in my mind that dust bunnies will haunt me for quite some time. :blink:

Oh...Nords and REWahoo...doesn't everyone have a toilet in their tub? :whistle:

Now I must say 'adios' for now as I have to paint the new base boards that will go down in the master bedroom.....

What a beautiful day. I played golf today and played pretty well. Had 5 birdies.:) Yesterday none. Crazy. Later I took the mutt on a nice walk at the local park. Trees are really pretty right now.

Tomorrow I'll be staying around the house. The ac/heating crew will be here getting started on the new system. A 2 day process. Just my luck, weather gets nice and I'm stuck at the house watching my checking account go to pot.:(

Wow, 5 birdies? That's great, Dawg! It's gorgeous down here, too. Maybe you can sit outside (got a porch?) while they work on your A/C and heating, or play in the yard with your dog.

Last edited:
Holy cow 5 birdies. I dont even do that on a miniature golf course. Hopefully you didn't need to pay for your beer.

My Mom used to say something like this..."When you are at a party, drinking the beer you don't think I know about, keep your cup in your hand at all times, or someone might slip you a Mickey."

I knew what she was telling me, but I never really did understand what a "Mickey" was. Anybody here remember that word?

I believe it was chloral hydrate. Obsolete for today's rapists and robbers.

Ha

Things are getting exciting! :dance: Some mentioned wanting to hear my experiences during my final week at work, and what is happening and how I am feeling.

Today I had my exit interview with HR. They gave me copies of all the paperwork that they are going to send to OPM the day after I leave. One specifically states that I am retiring and that I appear to be eligible to continue my medical coverage into retirement, and for the first time this is IN WRITING and signed by my HR rep. :clap: Of course OPM has the last word but they usually agree with the local HR people.

My exit clearance is complete with all 20 signatures, except for returning my badge and parking permit. All my paperwork is done.

I have nothing left in my cubicle except office supplies (and my exit clearance form), and nothing whatsoever left on my computer or LAN. All my e-mails are deleted or passed on, and I have composed my "Out of Office Assistant" message to turn on next Monday. Just now I have been cleaning the countertops and whiteboard.

My (kind, very human) supervisor asked me if I felt a little sad in some ways, thinking "I will never walk these halls again!". :ROFLMAO: I politely told her that it is like graduation. You know you will think back fondly upon this period in your life, and you know you won't be seeing your friends every day any more. But you also know that you are moving on to something else. While one may occasionally reminisce, it is unlikely that one would spend a whole lot of time looking back, coming back to visit the old workplace, and such. She said I should come back at least once, to give the others hope. :2funny:
Except for the retirement paperw*rk, oh the memories this stirred. :D
I really like your analogy of retiring to graduating school. Very appropos. :cool:
I am SO HAPPY for you. :flowers:

And life goes on. Good luck in your next stage in life W2R you have earned it :)

Want2Retire,

Been excited for you seeing the countdown decrease each day on your signature line. Wanted to offer my contratulations too. Retirement is like a "graduation". Very well said by you. CONGRATS ;)

Worked at the court this morning and found only one rotten case.

The saga continues at my house regarding the floor installation. I never in my life thought I would ever say this, but (no pun intended)....."I'm tired of looking at male backsides." :blink:

Worked at the court this morning and found only one rotten case.

The saga continues at my house regarding the floor installation. I never in my life thought I would ever say this, but (no pun intended)....."I'm tired of looking at male backsides." :blink:
Well, then, send some MY way. :LOL:

Chinese buffet today. One of my former co-w*rkers made a minor pass at me. I will admit that I loved every minute of that. :D
I drove my midlife crisis car one last time with the top down and heat and tunes blasting, and gave it a deluxe car wash. Now it gets all covered up and tucked into the garage for a long winter's sleep. :'(

tried my hand at another practice ER day... I could get used to this...

I saw my share of male backsides today as well. I didn't get anything out of it either. The guys made pretty good progress on my new heating and cooling system. Should finish tomorrow. Funny how things go. I planned to just install the bottom of the line system since this is an old house and not planning on being here long, but got a pretty decent one because of tax rebates and mfg rebates going right now. Cost the same as the low end after netting out everything. A heat pump with a gas furnace that kicks in on for those real cold days. Suppose to be more efficient, but we will see. :-\

A heat pump with a gas furnace that kicks in on for those real cold days. Suppose to be more efficient, but we will see. :-\

We had our new unit installed labor day week end in Florida last year and it worked perfectly until our first cold snap . They forgot to connect the heat pump . They fixed it and everything works fine. It has reduced my electric bill by $75 a month so it was well worth it .:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom