Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 04:13 AM   #2141
Confused about dryer sheets

Always a good sign when you get the retirement estimate from HR.
Not so good that you are dealing with multiple people, who are in various states of departure themsleves (lol).
It is an excellant idea to "send an e-mail summarizing what we said (in a nice way) as documentation, at their request." This way there can be no confusion if someone else comes along.

You could probably challenge the decision of the Agency not to let you attend the "pre-retirement training seminar", but them again do you really want to go, as you probably have a pretty good idea of what you are going to do by now anyway. At mine they simply went through all the stuff that I already knew, and tried to get me into some products that they wanted to make a commision out of ... which I knocked back.

I can sympathise with "I will be SO glad to retire and be done with this kind of foolishness!" You know its time to go when you dont want to play the silly games anymore. I am suprised that they havent signed you up for a "Team Building" event, with Outward Bound, that would be fun (lol)

All the very best for your retirement !

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #2142
Confused about dryer sheets

Today I am going to visit my daughter and her family

Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #2143
Dryer sheet wannabe

- Woke up early this morning but still not having the right mood to work
- Finally come back to my senses, started dressing and putting on makeup. Had a real strong cup of coffee, kissed my dog before leaving home.
- My car didnít fire up too smoothly after being left idle for a few days. Its about time for a tune up
- Kept thinking about the erection ceremony of my late husbandís grave this Saturday at Scottsdale, AZ while driving to work. Going over all detailed schedules a dozen time to avoid mix up
- Having strange feeling to seeing my own name on our double plot marker (my date of death left empty, of course!) in forwarded photos. Not yet sure if Iíll bury there when my time comes. Hereís my initial plan for tomorrow:
n Grave stone was ready in early August. Black granite marker was beautifully finished. Invitations to family members and friends were sent by mid July. Informed cemetery authority and minister in late June. Ordered flower saddles in early August. Marquee was ordered in July to offer needed shelter for guests
n Will arrive at Scottsdale airport tonight. Join up with my 2 daughters and having late dinner at my MIL place.
n Scheduled wake up at 8.30. Finish dressing and makeup by 9.30. Arrive at cemeteryís Gust Room by 10.45. Chatting and having coffee with friends and family until 11.15 before heading out to graveyard
n Start ceremony with a short prayer from my minister follows by the placing of flowers and grave saddles. Iíll then deliver a short eulogy follows by another prayer by a close friend. Iíll be wrapping up the ceremony at around 12.00 by offering my thanks to everyone attended. Weíll then all head back to the hotel for lunch. Hopeful that it doesnít resemble a second funeral
n The weather forecast is sunny and a sizzling 105íF at noon. Iíll be wearing only my white cotton top on black knee high skirt with my most comfortable black pumps
n Decided to put everything behind me and living a normal life

- Got back to the present once I arrived at the office by 8.30
- Faced with over 80 e-mails and call messages waiting reply. Practically wasted half my morning time on that
- Attended 2 strategy meetings by 12.30. Only one was productive
- Received yet another confidential plan for layoffs. This time they target on the junior supporting staffs in 4 States. Wondering why they always take the junior workers victims. Itís always the big guy who made those mistakes in the first place. Worst news of the day. Feel pretty frustrated under current economy
- Didnít go out for lunch but asking my secretary to get me a sandwich. Started going through my eulogy for tomorrow. Getting my Leica camera loaded for some cemetery pics despite having contracted a pro grade photog for more formal recording. This same gentleman also took pictures of my husbandís funeral last year
- Received a congratulation note after lunch from company president on my successful project. My first good news of the day. Sharing the news with my staff
- Two more meetings thereafter before starting my own works
- Real surprised to discover a good number of ĎCondolence Cardí at my in-tray. Those were mostly from colleagues (and external associates) at different States after hearing my compassionate leave. A misunderstanding on their part I guess, and yet I called them all personally for their kind supports and clarify my situation. Socially speaking, condolence is for funerals and not grave erection. My husbandís funeral was long over since last August. But itís still a very nice gesture on their part. I appreciate that
- My i-Phone finally came back from repair since it went nuts on me last week. Everything seemed to work fine now except it feels a bit warm when turned on. Hope that it wonít explode on me
- My other colleague dropped in for a short chat and gave her regards over my husbandís things. She herself also widowed since last September
- Then my eldest daughter called to say hello and confirmed her freight no. In fact, seeing my daughters was my major motive to attend the service. After all, they came only for my support as their own father already passed in 2004. Look forward to seeing them tomorrow. Thatís also my sweetest call of the day
- My staff reported to me on a major analytical error in our earlier proposal. Took our team over 2 hours to discover the problem. Its already 4.15 by then
- Left office for a short seminar in the next building and managed to finish in less than an hour.
- Breaking the left heel off my most comfortable pumps on my way back. Rushed over to the shoe repair for a quick fix while I waited. Thatís the pair I planned to wear at the service tomorrow. Considering the perfect support and superior material they were made of, I think itís worth even major repairing. Despite having brand new heels and leather linings, they still look a bit stretched out following months of extensive usage without wearing hose. I decide to put them on retirement after tomorrow.
- Sent my remaining mail and itís about time wrapped up for the day. Planning to arrive at the airport by 7.00
- Will keep you update on tomorrowís services
Old 08-28-2009, 04:01 PM   #2144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I did Food Bank duty today. So nice to see my new friends. What a wonderful bunch they are. I got a good w*rkout for 3 hours and have nice W&Fs about the volunteering.
Cloudy out and cool. I'm just killing time online while dh2b is snoozing. He just got back from a business trip and has been awake since 3 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM   #2145
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Took my 84yr MIL out for lunch it was her birthday week. She insisted on treating us for her lunch . Hey I didn't argue (much). DW and I did some yard work for them. Was a good time.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:28 AM   #2146
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, you dames twisted my arm. Besides, this site is not for kids.

Er, in taking the following picture, I saw that mine is of the same "caliber". Remember that no pain killer was used while expelling this gem. There is nothing like pain to build character and to sharpen the mind. About this time last year, a stone started to hurt me right before a 2-week vacation in Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver, and lasted the entire trip. I left it somewhere in Vancouver, but not before losing a bit of blood along the trip. No pain killer either.

Told ya this is not for kids.

Thanks and ouch! I'll bet that baby went "screeeeech" all the way down your pipes....

Well, now you have some idea how it feels to have a baby!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #2147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
About this time last year, a stone started to hurt me right before a 2-week vacation in Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver, and lasted the entire trip. I left it somewhere in Vancouver, but not before losing a bit of blood along the trip. No pain killer either.

Told ya this is not for kids.

If you left your heart in San Francisco, and your kidney stone in Vancouver, what will you leave in Juneau?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:22 AM   #2148
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
what will you leave in Juneau?
You know?
Old 08-29-2009, 07:04 AM   #2149
Full time employment: Posting here.

Enjoying the early morning....coffee, laundry, dishes.
Meeting at 11
Massaging from 1-6...really excited about doing abdominal work on one of the clients who requested it.
Chilling out for the night
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #2150

Kicking around estimates on kitchen remodel. Ugh. I hate the inconvenience of remodeling...and working with contractors. I'm much too anal and time-sensitive to deal with people who don't show up at the agreed time.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #2151
Give me a forum ...

Helped dh2b pull weeds out of flower gardens and a pile of maple chips turned to mulch, got sprinkled on.
Mowed some of the lawn, got rained on.
Gave up the outdoor thing and had some killer super nachos for dinner.
Old 08-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #2152

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Helped dh2b pull weeds out of flower gardens and a pile of maple chips turned to mulch, got sprinkled on.
Mowed some of the lawn, got rained on.
Gave up the outdoor thing and had some killer super nachos for dinner.
Oh man nachos...Arrggh nothing in the house to make em..
Old 08-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #2153
Give me a forum ...

Got up at 4 a.m. to see the guys off on their trip to CO. Went back to bed 2 hours later, slept until 10:45 and rumbled around the house. Talked to a close friend, my parents and DH. DH and bud made the first leg of the trip without any close calls.

Realized I hadn't seen one of my cats in a while, so I started the search. Finally found her in the garage. Poor little kitten face. She's fine but not happy with yours truly.

Wondering if I'll get any sleep tonight.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:08 PM   #2154
Recycles dryer sheets

Worked 13 hours of overtime processing cash for clunkers vouchers (11 hours yesterday)
Old 08-31-2009, 12:58 AM   #2155

Slept in, had brunch, then headed to the beach. Oooh, yeah. Hung out, came home, had chocolate cake for lunch. Yum. Quiet evening.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:35 AM   #2156
Give me a forum ...

I'm sitting here watching the grass dry.
Literally...I need to finish mowing the lawn before the billy goats set up camp.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #2157

IMG_0188.jpgWoke up at the ungodly hour of 0430. That was normal when eml*yed. Not much to do in the dark morning hours, so decided to apply for social security, since I'll be 62 in Nov. So spent about 45 minutes online filling in the form. In the end I still have to go to the branch office to present my Naturalization of Citizenship and birth certificate. Since it is in a foreign language spent a few minutes writing up a translation to English. And they wanted my military DD214.

Later I dug up stump. Using steel and wood wedges and sledgehammer to split it in two, then a 5' digging bar to lever them out and turn them upside down. Sure was pouring sweat workout.

In early afternoon spent time cooling my heels in the SSA waiting room for them to call my number I200. There was a real cutie with a glock on her belt doing security, after examining my pocket knife she decided it was not a threat, let me in.

"I" stands for applied via internet. Waited for them to examine and copy my Naturalization and birth certificate and DD214. An hour and a half wait, 10 minutes for the examination and copying, and I was done. So in December I'll be on the government dole.

Rest of the day relax, DW made nice juicy steak for dinner.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:38 PM   #2158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Thanks and ouch! I'll bet that baby went "screeeeech" all the way down your pipes....

Well, now you have some idea how it feels to have a baby!
Women suffer varying degrees of pain during delivery. But thank goodness, it does not last 2 weeks.

When my wife was delivering our 2nd child, she was in labor for 12 hours and was grateful to get an epidural to relieve the pain. While in the waiting room, we heard a young woman screaming and yelling in the next room. Our nurse, thinking that this was our 1st time and trying to reassure us, said that we should not be alarmed, and that it was OK to scream. Screaming and yelling is however not our "style".
Old 09-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #2159
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Turned 59.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM   #2160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Turned 59.
Happy B day

Went to Walmart. What the hell is the matter with me.