Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #2221
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got coerced into went to an animated movie called "9" with dh2b and his charming teenage son. Always a pleasure to see the boy.
The movie was dark in nature and very wierd. Next time I'll pass and let them go watch their wierd dark movie choices on their own. Male bonding and all that jazz.
To give dh2b proper credit, he didn't like the movie either.
Then we hit Pizza Hut. I used a coupon - buy a large pizza, get a medium 1 topping free. So 3 of us ate for just under $21 with tax and beverages. Not bad.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:23 PM   #2222
Give me a forum ...

">[QUOTE=...
Today i sweated mostly. Did random away from the MIL house for 6 months upkeep. Out in the desert in the middle of nothing upkeep is a bit more extreme, having to do with keeping the water supply going, growing things alive, vehicles & cooler & roof & road functional. Amazing what the desert sun does to plastic, rubber, and insulation on wiring![/QUOTE]

So I was cycling vinegar through the evaporative cooler trying to get rid of some of the calcium buildup. Scrubbed with a wire brush, unplugged the fan and just let the pumps cycle the vinegar. Came back to it and met this guy on the way out from under. He wasn't bugging anyone and I didn't want to kill him so I tried to make up a catch stick - broke off the eyelet I tried to screw into a broomstick so made up a loop on the stick and got his head in it. Dragged him out and had him half lifted up to put in a metal drum for animal control when he got loose and went into the wall of the house. Not concerned about him getting into our living space, but do need to see if I can't round him up. Don't like too many rattlesnakes around with the 94 1/2YO MIL.
">

">

Not something we have to deal with up in the soggy valley.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #2223
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

He crawled into the wall to recruit his friends and family. You've got the Viperizon network.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #2224
Give me a forum ...

I don't know what is the matter with me today...I feel motivated to do outside maintenance projects.
Just got done powerwashing the loose chips off of the upper deck PT floorboards, steps, and 1/3 of the lower deck. I used a BM stain with Teflon additive 5 years ago on well seasoned PT. That was a big mistake. It is gradually coming loose.
I will be using a water sealing stain this time, doing it the right way.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #2225
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Geez Calmoki, if I saw that crawl into the wall of my house I would have instantly freaked out and would have decamped to the nearest hotel to live until the beast was caught.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #2226
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
putting in an actual lawn.
Say goodbye to your free time!

Had a good surf trip, followed by a long walk on the beach with DW.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:05 PM   #2227
Give me a forum ...

Your Avatar resembles you quite a bit.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM   #2228
Give me a forum ...

I was home last week with the flu ( The swine flu ? Maybe ) . I stayed home rather than infect more people and as I got bored I shopped . I ordered canopies for my deck $1500 . I online shopped for new family room furniture $ 3000. So as flu's go this swine flu is very expensive ! Symptoms ,cough , congestion ,body aches ,diarrhea and wanton use of credit cards . Take the flu shot and save some money !
Old 09-15-2009, 07:17 PM   #2229
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
So as flu's go this swine flu is very expensive ! Symptoms ,cough , congestion ,body aches ,diarrhea and wanton use of credit cards . Take the flu shot and save some money !
Uh oh. That does it. We're all getting flu shots.

And I may want to buy stock in QVC's parent company...
Old 09-15-2009, 10:47 PM   #2230
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
He crawled into the wall to recruit his friends and family. You've got the Viperizon network.
Here sssnakey ssnakey sssnakey. I'm all tooled up and loaded for viper now. Probably (hopefully) be like carrying an umbrella preventing rain. Call me Ishmael.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #2231
Give me a forum ...

I had a nice chinese buffet lunch today - our little group has swelled to 20+ people. Only 2 of us are retired/FIREd.
I had a very cool idea thrown at me also - I am loosely planning a January vacation to FL and was telling one of my "adopted bro" guy friends about it. I have friends/relatives in Tampa, Orlando, and Melbourne areas, all of whom still w*rk. I want to try to see all of them, but also want some quiet time to myself near the ocean or Gulf. I do not want to house-hop overnight.
I was looking at maybe getting a centrally located hotel to use as a base.
It turns out his brother's best best buddy, from way back when, has a boat (over 30 feet) that he keeps in the water year round. So he calls this guy, tells him who I am and asks him if I could stay on the boat M-F instead of a hotel while I'm down there. Friend told the guy I had no interest in driving it, too big a craft. The guy said sure, of course. Just promise me she will leave it shipshape.
Wooohoooooooooo! Waterfront lodging in a marina, free!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #2232
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I had a nice chinese buffet lunch today - our little group has swelled to 20+ people. Only 2 of us are retired/FIREd.
I had a very cool idea thrown at me also - I am loosely planning a January vacation to FL and was telling one of my "adopted bro" guy friends about it. I have friends/relatives in Tampa, Orlando, and Melbourne areas, all of whom still w*rk. I want to try to see all of them, but also want some quiet time to myself near the ocean or Gulf. I do not want to house-hop overnight.
I was looking at maybe getting a centrally located hotel to use as a base.
It turns out his brother's best best buddy, from way back when, has a boat (over 30 feet) that he keeps in the water year round. So he calls this guy, tells him who I am and asks him if I could stay on the boat M-F instead of a hotel while I'm down there. Friend told the guy I had no interest in driving it, too big a craft. The guy said sure, of course. Just promise me she will leave it shipshape.

sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Old 09-16-2009, 06:24 PM   #2233
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The guy said sure, of course. Just promise me she will leave it shipshape.
I am so envious. You are the luckiest person in the whole wide world... did I hear "Lotto." (I wouldn't.)
Old 09-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #2234
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I am so envious. You are the luckiest person in the whole wide world... did I hear "Lotto." (I wouldn't.)
Sometimes life can be good to me.
I am very well versed in living on a boat for short periods. I don't watch TV, I know how to stay clean with a small head, eat well without cooking, etc. And I love the water.
Being rocked to sleep by the waves and the sound of them hitting the side of the boat...BTDT on a 34' sailboat on Lake Ontario. It's a private marina, so I'll be perfectly safe.
This friend of my adopted bro is very generous to say yes to the idea. I'll make sure I do some boat type w*rk (polish chrome or clean windows) for him if I get bored. He and his wife rarely take it out during the winter and never during the weekdays, so I won't be displacing their use of it at all.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #2235
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
has a boat (over 30 feet) that he keeps in the water year round.
That sounds like fun. BTW, I know that guy, and he sent me a photo of the boat:

Old 09-16-2009, 07:35 PM   #2236
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That sounds like fun. BTW, I know that guy, and he sent me a photo of the boat:
man he is luck... it even comes furnished...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:12 PM   #2237
Give me a forum ...

Or maybe it will look like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JRio Napa Express Plane.jpg (174.2 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #2238

Today we filled an eight-quart crock pot with chili fixin's. I finally bought a CO2 tire repair kit and a decent set of tools to carry on the bike (Cruztools). Of course, on my one day off this week it's raining. Murphy's Law never fails.

Volunteered to work yesterday so the guy who normally has that slot could look after his mother, who is hospitalized with a heart attack. Kind of hard to say "no" to that request. Promised to take DW to fancy dinner with the overtime.
Old 09-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #2239
Administrator

Took everything out of the drawers, cabinets, and closet at my office, and sorted through it all.
  • The office supplies and technical reports that belong to the government are all neatly stacked on a countertop.
  • Broken, useless, and worthless stuff got tossed out.
  • Useless confidential stuff was an exception and got shredded.
  • The items promised to various individuals are in another stack.
  • My few remaining personal belongings are on another countertop.
Today I am taking home all of my personal belongings. After Monday, I am only scheduled to work another 11.5 days since I will be using much vacation time. Most of those days will be busy with cleaning out my computer, exit clearance, farewell party, answering last minute questions, saying my goodbyes, and such. I will probably have some work too, but probably mostly pro forma and nothing more than a few reviews or some such thing.

This is becoming more and more fun!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-17-2009, 04:30 PM   #2240
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
...Broken, useless, and worthless stuff got tossed out.
...After Monday, I am only scheduled to work another 11.5 days since I will be using much vacation time.

...This is becoming more and more fun!
Now that's no way to talk about your co-w*rkers!

So you are physically right on the brink of being retired as far as office presence, it's just a formality of burning leave days from here. Sweeeeeeet !