Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:36 PM   #2241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Or maybe it will look like this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That sounds like fun. BTW, I know that guy, and he sent me a photo of the boat:
Gentlemen...I just got a link from the boat owner, showing me what this beauty looks like. I am being gracious and therefore will not blatantly display my good fortune to be allowed to sleep over on this magnificent craft. The drool could short out yer collective keyboards.
PS The owner took me upon my offer to do some minor swabbie w*rk in return for quartering me. And he said he is going sailing at least once, if not more, while I'm there. Tough duty!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #2242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Gentlemen...I just got a link from the boat owner, showing me what this beauty looks like. I am being gracious and therefore will not blatantly display my good fortune to be allowed to sleep over on this magnificent craft. The drool could short out yer collective keyboards.
No fair. Now that you've mentioned it, you gotta post a pic.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #2243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
No fair. Now that you've mentioned it, you gotta post a pic.
OK OK...I'll be fair...presenting a snowbird's (me) waterfront hotel, all 36 feet of it. Picture waking up at sunrise aboard this baby after being gently rocked all night.
So that's what I did today...secured quarters for my winter escape in January 2010.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WaterHotel.jpg (49.5 KB, 192 views)
Old 09-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #2244
Give me a forum ...

So much for hearing waves hit the side of the boat.
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #2245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
This is becoming more and more fun!
I am getting positively excited for you!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:17 PM   #2246

You're gonna have a great time. Living on a sailboat is kinda magical. You are right about coffee in the cockpit at dawn.

You'll get to learn all about marine toilets, and maybe even pumping out holding tanks , but no biggie. A 36 footer will probably have one of those combo head/showers, where you have to sit on the toilet lid and shower with a handheld wand, getting the whole place wet; but the marina will probably have a nice bathroom complex with showers and laundry and all that. Unless the boat has a heat pump (it seems to be an older model, so maybe yes, maybe no) it might be chilly, but then you are from "up north".

Be careful of the propane system. Propane is heavier than air, and really dangerous in a boat. The boat will have a master cut-off valve for the propane. Use it. Turn the propane on only when cooking then turn it off again.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 PM   #2247
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You're gonna have a great time. Living on a sailboat is kinda magical. You are right about coffee in the cockpit at dawn.
...marine toilets...pumping out holding tanks , A 36 footer will probably have one of those combo head/showers, where you have to sit on the toilet lid and shower with a handheld wand, getting the whole place wet; ...chilly, but then you are from "up north".

Be careful of the propane system. Propane is heavier than air, and really dangerous in a boat. The boat will have a master cut-off valve for the propane. Use it. Turn the propane on only when cooking then turn it off again.
All good points.
I'm an experienced boater, as in 25 years worth. My LH and I owned a 1985 34' Pearson sailboat (bought used) on Ontario. I don't plan to cook onboard for exactly the reason you gave about propane. I knew my own sailboat, but I would not attempt that on someone else's boat. Pizza and Chinese takeout time!
Boat owner said not to worry about the cold, he has plenty of blankets on board. I am a native NYer, so bring on the FL cold, baby. Yeah.
http://www.rssweather.com/climate/Florida/Tampa/
versus
http://www.rssweather.com/climate/New%20York/Syracuse/
Old 09-17-2009, 08:02 PM   #2248
Give me a forum ...

Nice tub, Freebird. Reminds me that I miss sleeping on a boat.

Enjoy.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #2249
Give me a forum ...

Back from camping, kayaking trip. Have spent all of the time ignoring the world. Good for the soul.

This morning it was so quiet at the lakeside I could hear small fallen tree leafs rustling on the gravel pushed by the the breeze.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #2250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
This is becoming more and more fun!
I know the feeling. The last six or seven weeks of work they took me off cases because I was not going to be available for court. Office protocol was that each week one person did the janitorial duties. We didn't have a cleaning service because of evidence control issues. So for the last six weeks that task fell to me, taking about 45 minutes a day. The rest of the time I read the newspaper, surfed the web, took two-hour lunches, went shopping, etc.

So for six weeks I was the highest-paid janitor in the county.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #2251
Dryer sheet aficionado

That sounds like fun - and very relaxing. Kind of the opposite from the way we spent the morning anyway. A new shopping mall opened here in Shanghai about 1 mile from our house. So we rode our bikes and checked it out - never know when we might find something new (according to DW). Anyway - that was a zoo!! Even by Shanghai standards, it was crowded. At one point, there were so many people in one store that the cops weren't allowing any more into it! Didn't find anything worthwhile afterall. This afternoon more relaxing - doing some reading and household chores.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #2252
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gave blood. Bought groceries. Pumped gas. Thinking chicken soup for supper.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:48 PM   #2253
Give me a forum ...

Mowed the lawn for the first time in over four months. Showered. Did a load of dishes and made a couple of quiches. My wife will be quite surprised when she gets home from her knitting group in another hour or two...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 09-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #2254
Moderator Emeritus

Went to the gym and did what for me was a very tough workout for an hour. Came home, showered and changed. Then Frank and I went to an upscale Chinese restaurant for lunch. Afterwards, he took me about 40 miles to the outlet mall in Gonzales, Louisiana and we shopped. He bought four shirts, and I bought two pairs of long pants for myself.

I'm tired! It is hot out there today, or maybe it's just the humidity.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 09-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #2255

Did mundane housekeeping tasks today as I have friends visiting from Houston for a couple of days next week. I am very much looking forward to this couple's stay as we are long time friends, and I will enjoy touring around with them. I went up to the high school track for a half an hour jog. I need to put in a good solid hour or two at the gym tomorrow for sure. We are having stunning weather here in western PA...sunny and high 60's. I hope it lasts while my visitors are in town.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:26 PM   #2256
Give me a forum ...

Old 09-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #2257
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

If that is Banana Cream or Coconut Cream pie mail it to me and you will be saved !
Old 09-19-2009, 07:30 PM   #2258
Give me a forum ...

I think my screen just exploded!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #2259

When I was a child I wanted a Spirograph but never had one, so I decided to simulate one.

Here is a movie of a wheel with an arm, rolling inside another wheel, drawing a hypotrochoid curve.

I did the simulation and made the movie with Grapher, a free math and graphing package that comes with every Mac. (It is in the Applications folder under Utilities.)

If you have a Mac and want to play with it to see how Grapher works, download this zipped file
Spirograph.gcx.zip
It should unzip automatically and the Spirgraph.gcx file should be in your Downloads folder. Double click on the file icon to start Grapher.

The simulation allows you to change the radius of both wheels, and the length of the arm to make all sorts of weird and wonderful curves. You can also make rolling wheel roll around the outside of the fixed wheel for a whole different family of curves.

If the image may be stretched when Grapher opens, click on the "Equalize Axis" button at the top.
zoom.gif
To start the animation, click on the start button to the left.
start.gif
To change a parameter, click on one of them and change the value like you would in a spreadsheet.
paramters.gif
The simulations run slowly and jerkily because they require a lot of calculations. To see a simulation run smoothly, click on the film icon at the upper right to make a movie.
buttons.gif
If you have any trouble, PM me. And yes, I know that I am a hopeless Geek.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 AM   #2260
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
When I was a child I wanted a Spirograph but never had one, so I decided to simulate one.

That is so cool, your video is hypnotic! Thanks, and groovy, I'm sure I had a Spirograph and the fad that followed was string art, remember that?

String art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1970s Fads: String Art
Closed Thread