Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 09:37 AM   #2261
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I had a Spirograph, don't recall string art.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #2262
Administrator

I had a Spirograph too (and it was fun!!). I think string art was more in my daughter's generation. In honors fourth grade math, her teacher had them doing string art for weeks at a time after they had all finished the standardized curriculum. I will never forget that since we were very dissatisfied with that treatment of kids who learn faster than the norm.

- - H. Melville, 1851
More geeky Grapher stuff
Old 09-20-2009, 12:38 PM   #2263
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

More geeky Grapher stuff

Cycloids are curves that a point on the edge of a wheel traces out as it rolls. Here is a Grapher animation.

Cycloids have an amazing property. Imagine the curve as wires with beads sliding on them. The beads all reach the bottom at the same time no matter from where they were released!

Here are the files if you are a Mac user and a geek:
cycloid2.gcx.zip
cycloid3.gcx.zip
The animations are all parameterized so you play with them as you wish.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:06 PM   #2264

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Took everything out of the drawers, cabinets, and closet at my office, and sorted through it all.
Planning to change your username?
Old 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #2265
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Planning to change your username?
Yep!! I have one all picked out. Not telling until the day comes, though.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #2266
Confused about dryer sheets

I consider today my First Day of retirement. I have to go in on Oct. 1st but I'm off till then. Had coffee while setting outside watching everyone going to work, enjoyed it. Had breakfast,walked,puttered on internet, napped and worked in the yard pm. Walked again after supper and now waiting on T-storms to move through. Gotta love it!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #2267
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19kilo View Post
I consider today my First Day of retirement. I have to go in on Oct. 1st but I'm off till then. Had coffee while setting outside watching everyone going to work, enjoyed it. Had breakfast,walked,puttered on internet, napped and worked in the yard pm. Walked again after supper and now waiting on T-storms to move through. Gotta love it!
It gets better.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #2268
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
It gets better.
for me it is only getting closer... then it will get better
Old 09-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #2269

Toured model condos in this recently completed development

with friends who are considering high-rise living. Their circumstances make it reasonable: one is a doctor and the other a professor. Talk about job security!
The place is spectacular, but madre dios, the prices!
Spring Condominium - A new residence in downtown Austin.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #2270
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some mundane household stuff (dishes, freezing strawberries, laundry).

I've been putting this one off for a while...I finally called the local SS office to investigate LH's SS benefits and get a written determination. I had attempted doing this years ago, but my brain was fogged up and got nowhere with a very unhelpful staffer. I found out (again) that he didn't have enough quarters, but the very nice and helpful lady I talked to today said she would personally do a review of w*rk records for completeness and get back to me. She will send me the hardcopy I was never given when I initially requested it, pending her boss' approval. Whew!
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #2271
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I found out (again) that he didn't have enough quarters...
What a bureaucratic mess.

I don't mean to make this any more painful than it already is, but I'll bring it up because it's not publicized-- let alone easily understood. I don't know if there's any link between quarters and dollars in the Social Security "military wage credit" system, but it might be worth asking if it's applicable:
Quote:
Military personnel have been covered under Social Security since 1957, and those who served in 2001 or earlier receive special credits that augment their earnings for the purpose of computing Social Security benefits. For those who served between 1957 and 1977, credits equal $300 for each quarter of active-duty pay. Those serving between 1978 and 2001 receive credits equal to an additional $100 in earnings for each $300 they receive in active-duty pay (total credits may not exceed $1,200 a year).
But this benefit might not apply until after the minimum number of quarters.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:28 AM   #2272
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What a bureaucratic mess.

I don't mean to make this any more painful than it already is, but I'll bring it up because it's not publicized-- let alone easily understood. I don't know if there's any link between quarters and dollars in the Social Security "military wage credit" system, but it might be worth asking if it's applicable:

But this benefit might not apply until after the minimum number of quarters.
Not painful at all...well not as much anymore. I'll take all the advice I can get. I'll copy this into a new thread (I'll provide more details there),
UPDATED: see Need advice for survivor SS benefits
and as long as you all aren't squeamish, I won't be. Tuff girl...remember ?
Old 09-22-2009, 11:48 AM   #2273
Give me a forum ...

Sitting here wondering what my next body reaction will be to whatever "bug" I've had for a week. First, body aches, feeling tired...moved on to tummy ache...over that and went to body aches again. Then came the "fuzzies" in my throat and chest. Today minor aches, a few less fuzzies, but now it hurts to move my eyes.

Eh...at least I don't have to go to w*rk.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:10 PM   #2274
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Sitting here wondering what my next body reaction will be to whatever "bug" I've had for a week. First, body aches, feeling tired...moved on to tummy ache...over that and went to body aches again. Then came the "fuzzies" in my throat and chest. Today minor aches, a few less fuzzies, but now it hurts to move my eyes.

Eh...at least I don't have to go to w*rk.
if it hurts to move your eyes you should go see a Dr. as that is one of the symptoms of inflamation to the meninges and you would want to rule out meningitis.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:12 PM   #2275
Administrator

bbbamI, here's another vote to see your doctor. I hope you aren't getting swine flu.

As for me, I am starting another two week "staycation", so I slept in (of course!). Got up and got to the gym by 10 AM, and had a great 1 hour workout. My intention for the rest of the day is to do nothing constructive whatsoever. I might break down in my resolve to do nothing, and go to Supercuts since I really need a haircut. Or not. There is always manana.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 09-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #2276

Over the weekend attended an EVOC (emergency vehicle operators course). It was well worth it, especially at the 1/2 price with retired rates.

According to the instructor it was the smallest class he ever had. Only eight people. It was a fun class for me. Not so much for the young whippersnapper fire fighters and ambulance driver wannabees. For them it is a required course, must pass.

Actually learned a lot. Like what emergency vehicle drivers must and cannot do. All the legal liabilities if not operating exactly within the confines of the laws.

Lots of good info on vehicle dynamics, coefficient of friction of road surfaces.

Mostly took the course for the fun of it. The driving qualification course was a blast.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #2277

In celebration of the coolest day we've had in over six months, I'm working on a big pot of chili for dinner tonight.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #2278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
if it hurts to move your eyes you should go see a Dr. as that is one of the symptoms of inflamation to the meninges and you would want to rule out meningitis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
bbbamI, here's another vote to see your doctor. I hope you aren't getting swine flu.
bbbamI...ahem...please get thee to a doc or
Do we have to 'sic' RichInTampa and Meadbh on ya?

Seriously, worsening symptoms should not be ignored.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #2279

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In celebration of the coolest day we've had in over six months, I'm working on a big pot of chili for dinner tonight.
Yumm. Genuine Texas chili. What time is dinner?
Old 09-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #2280
Moderator Emeritus

I went through a depression cycle last month because of pain and pain-killers.

I am feeling much better and have started cooking up batches of soup (with summer and autumn vegetables).