what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been w*rking my *ss off, and not posted for 2 weeks. It was hard to believe that w*rk could still be so much fun, to apply some new hardware technology to do things that were unthinkable a few years ago. I am old enough to have grown up playing with vacuum tubes, and the new electronics keep blowing my mind. It's not only fun, but the money would ease my frugal conscience later when buying that Sprinter chassis RV. My sweetheart still has to spend time with her father, who has moved into a nursing home, so this gives me something to do.

The only drawback is my blood pressure has risen again. Job gave too much excitement?

Had another good Christmas party gig last night. The singer was sick all day yesterday, and threw up just before the first set, but she did great, and no one could tell that she felt terrible.

The other notable event was that I had used the metronome to set the tempo for "Linus and Lucy," (different from most of our songs, but always a crowd favorite). I forgot to turn it off, and made a mosh of the song trying to hit the metronome button in the middle of playing.

I'll tell ya what, I've had a really rough day today. My Mom decided that she was going to take me out for breakfast this morning. Then after watching a few gardening shows on TV, I had to taste test some Christmas cookies, before going out to my workshop to continue planning out my landscape and garden design changes for the Spring...which is only 89 days away!

I did manage to squeeze in time for supper, and a bit of surfin' on the 'net. But now I'm about tuckered out, and ready to hit the lazyboy for a while and watch Hee Haw on TV.

Sure hope I'm not near as busy tomorrow.... :LOL:

Weather getting a little better here. Just finished my 3rd straight week of no golf.:banghead: But looks like it will be nice enough tomorrow to play. A few AL relatives coming in tomorrow afternoon for an early Christmas here. So it will be good to [-]get that out of the way[/-] see them.:)

This entertaining thing is really growing on me.:D
We had some friends over for homemade potato/ham/bacon soup and fresh cheddar cheese bread.
I decorated the fireplace mantle with fresh cut cedar greens and fake red and white poinsettas, and the front steps with same greens and big red bows.

BAH HUMBUG :LOL:

Ah, a nice Christmas party at some friends home last night. I spent a highly unproductive hour swapping 'weird science' stories with a 'national laboratory' employee. :LOL:

Today was karmic payback day. I spent the day at the MIL's, delousing a Windows computer. (I'm a retired Apple engineer.) Three flavors of antivirus and anti-spyware, none of which had been updated with any new definitions since 2005. Oh, and it had spyware and adware, too. :facepalm: Cleaned it out, disabled whacky software ("Do you really need to re-index the hard disk every time you log in?" "Hmmm.... 18 gigabytes of 'support' logs listing every app launch and quit, and every bit of user activity since you bought the machine. I bet we don't really need that data, or the logging software..."), cleaned up the disk, and installed one (1) antivirus/antispyware program with automatic updating.

Startup and login now takes 45 seconds, not 8 minutes. MIL was knitting while waiting for the machine to start, and is trying to figure out when she'll do the knitting now. :nonono:

I'm a busy girl today...I have xmas music on (via cable service), just cut some fresh evergreens for my dining room table centerpiece, wrapped presents, and am making cream of mushroom soup with fresh baby bella mushrooms and scallions added.
It is snowing ever so lightly outside. It is the sparkly kind of snow that catches the sunlight and refracts it. The colors you see when you look at it on the ground from a slight angle are brilliant. :D

Yesterday I cut about ten branches from several different types of pine and fir tress and put them in a laundry basket in the living room. But they have hardly any Christmasy smell at all. Must be the wrong type of tree.

Yesterday I found some old records (as far back as 1912 according to the columbia numbers. Then I thought I have to hear some of these, crawled up into the attic and found an old turntable that would play 78's unsized it and cleaned it up. Hooked it up to the computer and played a few. Not bad for their age. One was a comedy record by Whistlin Pete. Way politically incorrect but funny without cursing and from 1915. Got some fifty or so year old comedy by a guy called Oscar Brand and another from the early 70's by Nestor Pistor (33RPM). Again way funny.

Now i have set myself up with noise reduction software and am converting to MP3 and editing with Audacity. Next project will be my old Fugs albums.

Have been in front of the PC most all day.

Painted the alcove walls around my vanity/sink (off white, ivory). This is the last of that two-year-old wallpaper removal project, and it's nice to be done with it. When it dries, I can do any touch-ups, re-hang the mirror, replace the light switch wall plate, and re-hang the artwork that was in there. Then clean and shine up the sink. I wanted to have that done before Christmas so I am doing pretty well.

Other than that? Not a whole lot and I like it that way (today).

Did a couple of loads of laundry, dishes, swept, paid some bills online and went to the movies and saw Blind Side. My DH and I really liked it. Walked around the mall and kept running into friends, so I did not get any shopping done, but did I did not really need to do any more. DH bought 1 gift for a friend. Came home, fixed dinner and now on the computer.

Speaking of movies.....do not, I repeat not, waste your time and money on "Did you hear what happened to the Morgans". It's supposed to be a romantic comedy-thriller, but it's overflowing with cliche, and the plot is improbable. Sarah Jessica Parker plays a top NY real estate agent who improbably shares her innermost thoughts with potential clients, and Hugh Grant didn't bother to even attempt an American accent although he is supposedly a New York lawyer. Mary Steenburgen and Sam Elliott play a Wyoming couple and they are the best thing about this boring film. I can't believe they spent $52 million making it.

Closed on the sale of our house yesterday and today I am at my old family farm, waiting for a winter storm to pass in the next few days before I can head out.

The day before closing, after the house was all cleaned (what a job!) we went and saw Avatar. Beautifully filmed movie but sappy. I decided that I liked it.

Reactions: W2R
But Sam Elliott....ahhhhhchachacha! :cool:
Bbbami, here's a Sam Elliott story for you....

A couple of young ladies I know very well (my sister-in-law's nieces) sought fame and fortune in LA a couple of years ago. One found work as a marketing rep for Coors Distributing Co, adding scenic beauty to all the events Coors sponsors and keeping celebrities who promote Coors supplied with beer. Her younger sister...well, I'll let her tell it:

I've been helping Robin out with her job lately. Sort of like her assistant...

One day I went with her to the distributor and we picked up a whole bunch of beer. She had a doctor's appt later that day and she needed me to run deliver the beer for her. I was to drive to 'Big Deans Bar and Grill' next to the Santa Monica Pier and deliver all the cases of Coors in a can. Then I was to drive to Malibu and deliver the rest of the beer to..........................
SAM ELLIOTT!!!

Oh My GOSH!!!! I was really really really excited and a little nervous and trying to stay calm. So she gives me his address and I drive out to Malibu, find his house, pull up to the gate and press the little button to call the house. He picks up and says, [in his deep Sam Elliott voice] 'Hello?' and I said, 'Hi! I have a Coors delivery for Mr. Elliott.' and he kinda chuckled and said, 'Well just a second.' So I wait a second and the gate starts opening. It was this sunflower rod iron gate. So I drive down this little path and get to the bottom of this hill to a sweet house with a beautiful back yard with a rose garden and a barn.

And that's when I see him......He's walking up from the barn with this cool dog walking next to him. he's wearing jeans and a grey t-shirt and he's got his long hair pulled back in a ponytail and he just looks as handsome as you've ever seen him! [i'm sure [Mrs. REW] would agree] haha He walks up to me and I smile and said Hi and he introduces himself, 'I'm Sam!' and he shakes my hand. He says, 'How's you get so lucky to have to drive all the way out just for me?' and I laughed and said it was no problem and he wanted to know if that was all I did...just drive around and deliver beer. So I told him what all I had done that day and how usually Robin was the one to deliver to him but I was helping her out today. So at this point I'm in shock that he wants to chat and carry on a conversation with me!!!! So I help him get the beer out and he's like, 'Here hun! Let me get that! I hate for you to have to carry that! It's heavy,' and I told him it was no problem. He commented on how much beer her was getting and he said, 'I might have to throw a party or something. Invite the neighbors over!' and I laughed. He was just as nice and cool and as great as ever!!! When I got ready to leave he was so sweet he said, 'Now you just back up right here and that way you can get turned around ang get back up the hill. And hun you be careful out there on the road!' and I just smiled and thanked him and told him how nice it was to meet him and off I went.

I did snap one photo with my camera phone of him walking back to his barn. I'll attach it to this email so you can see it.

Ash

Attachments

• sam.jpg
    sam.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 15
Today was kitchen slave day - I made homemade French vanilla ice cream from scratch and lemon meringue pie for xmas dinner dessert.
I loaded up the CD player with the Great Voices of Christmas and some Pavarotti, of course played at full crank volume. Oh such beautiful voices to uplift the soul. Sigh.
Joined friends and dh2b at Chinese and got 2 nice poinsettas from adopted bro. :D
Still need to finish decorating our little tree. Maybe tonight...:whistle:

Wow...thanks REWahoo! :flowers:

Good looks, talent and turns out he's really a nice, down-to-earth guy..... Mah oh mah, Christmas has come early for....bbbamI.

:D

I cooked up a five pound bag of Yukon Golds that was starting to grow eyes. We don't eat potatoes often but the bag was on sale last week for about a buck so I couldn't resist. I threw in a stick of butter and some milk and whipped up a nice batch of mashed potatoes. Enough for us and four of our apartment neighbors. I knocked on their doors with my big bowl and scoop and told them to get out a bowl! Easier to do it that way so I don't lose dishes or storage containers. Hot mashed potatoes at your door!

Wow, I would like to be a neighbor of yours for the 12 days of Christmas, Buckeye!

I can see it now - - your family ringing the bell and singing happy carols such as "Good King Wenceslaus", while offering hot buttered mashed potatos, chocolate chip cookies, or whatever the surprise treat was for the day. Perfect!

I can see it now - - your family ringing the bell and singing happy carols such as "Good King Wenceslaus"...
And don't forget another favorite:

[FONT=comic sans ms, verdana, arial, helvetica][FONT=comic sans ms, verdana, arial, helvetica][FONT=comic sans ms, verdana, arial, helvetica]Tatering, tatering, now we go
Christmas bells are ringing
Tatering, tatering thru the snow

Joyous voices sweet and clear
Sing the sad of heart to cheer
Ding dong, ding dong
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.