Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #2341
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Laundry, cooking meatballs in homemade sauce, Sudoku online ,
and getting ready to revamp dh2b's resume for an internal promotion opportunity. I'm figuring out what my "fee" should be for even looking at this resume stuff.
Chilly and cloudy here, so my days on the screened porch outside are numbered.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2009, 01:26 PM   #2342
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Plumber came over and checked out the boiler, had heat on today.
Next week: cat annual check and my flu shot
Gizzards for supper
Old 10-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #2343
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I think I will do my annual cleaning of the dishwasher today. Get the accumulated gunk out of the various holes and crannies.

I'd deal with MOUNTAINS of dishwasher gunk if it meant I could stop working.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #2344
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Sudoku online ,
Ah!! I have won a convert. The USAToday Sudoku are especially fun first thing in the morning, with coffee.

Frank took me to lunch today, and we have been e-mailing back and forth now and then, but other than that I have done very little. I have to work next week, so I might as well enjoy my leisure time while I have it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #2345
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Ah!! I have won a convert. The USAToday Sudoku are especially fun first thing in the morning, with coffee.
Yuppers. I'm doing the USAToday version at the link you posted. I like Sudoku with pencil and paper, but online is even cooler. No erasing!
I got stumped today after whipping through 3 puzzles, 3 days straight. My mind just couldn't continue solving it.
I saved it and the battle restarts early tomorrow AM.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #2346

Grilled some chicken marinated in Italian salad dressing in the AM for meals later in the week.

Then went for a long motorcycle ride through some back roads to Mercersburg, PA and then to Greencastle, Pa. Ended up in downtown Hagerstown, MD and got lost, was hungry and getting a little tired so I gave up and plugged in the GPS and punched in "Home, James". Ate lunch, then went back out through Shepherdstown, WV through Sharpsburg, MD to Boonsboro, MD. There's a neat, very steep road that goes straight up what passes for a mountain around here. You folks out west would call it a hill. That comes out on MD Rt. 40 and rode into Frederick, MD. Went down the "Golden Mile" composed of store after store after store.

I wanted to keep going but was getting tired and riding a motorcycle when tired is not conducive to longevity so I headed back home, ate some of the chicken, had a couple glasses of wine on the back porch.

DW is on pins & needles waiting for her nephew's wife to deliver baby #2 any day now. Every time the phone rings she shouts "I'll get it!" and literally sprints for the phone. Must be a "female thing" I'll never understand.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:39 AM   #2347
Moderator Emeritus

Yesterday I took a short drive up the shore to my favorite smoked fish place and bought two smoked herrings. Nummy.

Cleaned the house, I have someone looking at it today. Because the looker is a single guy I hid away the baby stuff. Kind of a crappy day to show the house, dark, windy and cold. Wet dead leaves are blowing all over the parking area and no way to clean it up.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 10-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #2348
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Because the looker is a single guy I hid away the baby stuff.
So, he was a "good looker"?
Old 10-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #2349
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday I took a short drive up the shore to my favorite smoked fish place and bought two smoked herrings. Nummy.

Cleaned the house, I have someone looking at it today. Because the looker is a single guy I hid away the baby stuff. Kind of a crappy day to show the house, dark, windy and cold. Wet dead leaves are blowing all over the parking area and no way to clean it up.
Sometimes houses seem more cozy and appealing on dark, windy, cold days. At least, they do to me. Turn on all the lights if you still have a chance to do that! Good luck.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 10-02-2009, 10:49 AM   #2350
Full time employment: Posting here.

Drinking coffee, catching up on phone calls, and surfing the net!
Going to get the car serviced and winterized.
Going to go out for dinner and some shopping with my bf.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #2351
Give me a forum ...

So far not too much.

Think I'll grab a beer and play in the yard...it's 77.7 degrees...
Old 10-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #2352
Give me a forum ...

No golf today, rained early this morning. So slept late and just hung around the house. Ate lunch at mom's and then walked the 4 mile hiking trail I always did with my golden retriever. Just not the same without a furry 4 legged companion walking along. But, I needed the exercise. Definitely going to get another mutt later this year. Probably a golden or a lab. Or a mix of the two.

Oh yes........just mowed the yard.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #2353
Moderator Emeritus

Worked out, went for a bike ride (very brisk), had my yearly eye exam - still cant see squat unless its a mile away, went to post office - they were closed between 1-2 so I waited until they came back, pressure washed the sidewalk and detached garage in the rain, now for a nap
Old 10-02-2009, 08:01 PM   #2354
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I went in to the office early so I could leave early. Went out to lunch, left at 3 for an hour at the gym then came home. Spent the evening watching the last episode of the very enjoyable Ken Burns documentary "The National Parks".
Old 10-03-2009, 12:56 PM   #2355
Moderator Emeritus

Got up and fed the baby. Let him play while I watched an episode of Clean House. Bounced the babe around for a while and crawled madly around the dining room table while he chased me. Checked the net. Baby took a nap and I adjusted his car seat and cleaned up the kitchen. Talked to a sister on the phone. We drove up to mall and picked up my new recliner. It is sitting in a huge box in the back of my truck. I'll have to contemplate that for awhile. We had lunch--spinach and tomato and <gasp> meat. Baby had it blenderized.

Went for a little walk with the little man. Now I sit while he plays. It is a nice day.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:12 PM   #2356
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...crawled madly around the dining room table while he chased me.
Yet another example of why some posts are absolutely useless without pictures...
Old 10-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #2357
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Kayaker View Post
This thread is where I come for my daily dose of envy.... one day, my time will come.

Seriously, this thread is where I come to motivate myself to save more, invest smarter, and to look ahead at what my life could be WITHOUT WORK. Love reading this stuff...
Well said. The ongoing saga always has someone doing something that I would like to be doing.

Business meeting in another city for the last two days. Very intense, but Thursday night, we did have an excellent dinner in a beautiful historic building. Arrived home at 11:30 pm last night after a bumpy flight with a crying toddler two rows away. Watching a Season 1 episode of Mad Men kept me sane.
Old 10-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #2358
Moderator Emeritus

Last month spouse found a desperate Craigslist seller unloading a 2005 Kenmore Elite convection oven for $150. They'd bought it from Sears as a $500 repo, they were demolishing/rebuilding their 1959 Ewa Beach home, and they were in a hurry to get rid of it. Unbelievable bargain-- she had even bought a warranty policy on it, so we got to watch the Sears guy do his annual check. As soon as he left in his truck, the oven left in our car.

We field-stripped everything and spouse had to do an incredible amount of cleaning while I checked out a rumor of rodent damage, but it all seems to work just fine.

So yesterday we yanked out our decrepit 20-year-old no-parts-available Frigidaire drop-in. We shaved away the Corian counter about two molecules at a time and eventually made exactly the right space for the new oven. I used to spend more time fixing the old oven/range than using it. This one should spend a lot less time on its Thanksgiving turkey, and I can spend more time on the turkey than the oven.

For the last nine years, whenever a neighbor disposed of their “old” stove curbside we'd strip it for spare parts to keep ours running. We've built up an attic inventory of about three stoves' worth and we're ready to get rid of all of it. So now our front lanai looks like the set of Sanford & Son while we invite the neighbors to drop by for free parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1989 vintage Frigidaire drop-in oven.JPG (372.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 2005 Kenmore Elite convection oven.JPG (376.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Free parts.JPG (421.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-03-2009, 04:00 PM   #2359
Moderator Emeritus

You made a mess all over the new lanai!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #2360
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
You made a mess all over the new lanai!
Sigh. I know. And that's after a neighbor took home a half-dozen burners and all the extra knobs. We'll clean the rest of it up in a couple weeks.

By far the messiest part of the project was cutting just 3/4"x30" off the Corian counter with a jigsaw. I couldn't believe how much Corian dust went all over.

Before the stamped concrete, we used to go out onto the lanais or driveway and just pound away on our projects-- spew sawdust, spray WD-40, drop power tools, and not worry about it.

Now we're either putting down tarps or going into the garage on top of the old FuturaStone, and we're actually sweeping up with a foxtail & dustpan. I'm terrified of accidentally dinging the stamped concrete or scraping something across it or finding out that WD-40 doesn't wash off... the stuff is probably far sturdier than we give it credit for. We'll get used to it in another year or two.

Spouse really enjoys using the inner/outer controls on the range burners.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Closed Thread