Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #2381
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Put the finishing touches on my indoor experiment to prove that Romaine lettuce can indeed be grown in captivity.
Materials: 10 gallon fish tank, aluminum foil to reflect light from grow light (adjustable with stand) and window, pelletized fertilizer, spray bottle, seeds, and compost I made myself. I planted another round of seeds to replace the bigger ones.
This is fun stuff!
I turned the setup so I could take the photo. It is normally facing the window (upper left in 2nd pic) to capture maximum sunlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RomaineMapView.jpg (55.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg RomaineSideView.jpg (26.9 KB, 193 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #2382
Give me a forum ...

Did the fish enhance the plant growth? Like Indians teaching the Pilgrims to fertilize corn?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #2383
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
Did the fish enhance the plant growth? Like Indians teaching the Pilgrims to fertilize corn?

This tank hasn't seen fish in many years. It was a starter tank before the 29 gallon fishtank arrived from Santa. My other "kids", the goldfish, are thriving in that tank.
I've used the 10 gallon tank to grow fresh mushrooms from innoculated sawdust blocks, but mold became a problem.
So I've recycled it into a salad greens grower. The only investment I made this year was the adjustable grow light, on sale of course.
Goldfish poo in my salad greens isn't turning me on at the moment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg goldfish09.jpg (30.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #2384
Moderator Emeritus

Very impressed that you are growing your own, Freebird! How big does the lettuce get before you harvest it?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #2385
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Very impressed that you are growing your own, Freebird! How big does the lettuce get before you harvest it?
Dunno yet. This is ground breaking botanical science going on here.
Romaine normally bunches. This is growing like leaf lettuce.
I'm misting it from overhead every day, and have the grow light on for 12 hours. The leaves are so green.
I love to grow things, and with fall in full swing here, I move my gardening indoors. My potted geraniums are just unbelievable.
If I'm not careful, that spare bedroom could easily morph into an indoor greenhouse. Hmmmmmm....
Old 10-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #2386
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I clicked to enlarge, but they are still the same size!
Old 10-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #2387
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That's because you didn't follow instructions. Go to message #2371, click on link, and then find the lady, click on her and then click on her again and you will increase the size by some small amount (10-25%).

Of course, the real payoff of that exercise is you get to see the "less clad ones" you were warned of.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #2388
Give me a forum ...

Big schedule today...clinic at 9 AM for annual bloodw*rk, grocery shopping (small list), Chinese buffet, then goof off at home.
These 14 hour fasts are a real pain. Plus I am a real needle dreader...whine!
Only 1.5 hours to go. Drinking water and trying valiantly to keep my mind off coffee or food.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:50 AM   #2389
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Big schedule today...clinic at 9 AM for annual bloodw*rk, grocery shopping (small list), Chinese buffet, then goof off at home.
These 14 hour fasts are a real pain. Plus I am a real needle dreader...whine!
Only 1.5 hours to go. Drinking water and trying valiantly to keep my mind off coffee or food.
Freebird: Don´t take offence but that´s nothing compared to having pulled off all your lower teeth and getting imnplants for an overdenture. And another overdenture for all my upper teeth-I have none. Once the process starts -in a week- I don´t hink I´´ll be eating anything much solid...
Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #2390
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think my joke was a little too subtle. Note that I said "they" are still the same size, not "it" is still the same size. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #2391
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think my joke was a little too subtle.
I suppose that might have been it...
Old 10-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #2392
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I think my joke was a little too subtle. Note that I said "they" are still the same size, not "it" is still the same size. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more.
I got what you meant. Just be grateful that I'm a shy girl and therefore used the mermaid figurehead as my proxy.
I will admit to playing "mermaid" on the lake sometimes.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #2393
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Farmers' Market: small steak, chicken, hen(for stew), some late summer veggies
Old 10-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #2394
Give me a forum ...

Much needed haircut, retirement luncheon with dh2b's w*rk group , bought cornstalks and a huge yellow mum, then back home to decorate front porch and make nachos supremo for dinner.

It is that time of year when flies decide that indoors is a great place to hang out and/or hibernate (do they do that?).

A mystery that was keeping me up at night has been solved.
How come flies don’t fall off the ceiling?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #2395
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Much needed haircut, retirement luncheon with dh2b's w*rk group , bought cornstalks and a huge yellow mum, then back home to decorate front porch and make nachos supremo for dinner.

It is that time of year when flies decide that indoors is a great place to hang out and/or hibernate (do they do that?).

A mystery that was keeping me up at night has been solved.
How come flies don’t fall off the ceiling?
Vacuum cleaner is good way to deal with flies.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #2396
Moderator Emeritus

Did laundry.
Ran oven cleaning cycle.
Cooked chicken wings with some ghee.
Listened to the rain (forecasting two inches thereof).
Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #2397
Moderator Emeritus

Met the mortgage broker to apply to refinance the loan on the rental property. 4.625% 30-year fixed, 2.175 points, 45-day lock. We decided not to take out any cash.

She still had our application from eight months ago when we refinanced the loan on our residence, so the meeting took barely an hour. The appraisal will be finished in a couple weeks.

We got a .25 discount for having a high credit rating. That's the first time I've ever been rewarded for a high credit rating... maybe I'll have to pay attention to that from now on.

Our bank will probably sell the loan to Bank of America. If BofA goes bankrupt, do we still have to keep making payments?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #2398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Our bank will probably sell the loan to Bank of America. If BofA goes bankrupt, do we still have to keep making payments?
Hey....maybe not.... Well...we can hope, can't we?

Went to the grocery store and bought the weekly stuff. While I was there, I found out they are closing the doors November 7th. Man..with all the changes I've experienced and have had to go through in my life, I just wish one thing would stay the same.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #2399
Give me a forum ...

I had an excellent session with my doctor today. I was there for the annual female tuneup, and also to discuss some emotional and psychological backsliding I've been consistently feeling for the past months.
No boring details or whining...I took the proactive step of writing up a list of how I feel when positive (most of the time), and how I feel when the stormclouds periodically move in. She talked with me for over an hour, to listen, ask questions, give me ideas, and gave me an Rx to take only as needed. She is a wonderful doctor.
I feel better knowing I am not losing my mind , what I am experiencing is normal for high stress life events I've been through, that these feelings are likely triggered by hormonal influences , and there is help available for the rough patches. Dx = PMDD.
I feel like an anchor has been thrown overboard.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #2400
Moderator Emeritus

Freebird, you have a wonderful doctor! Good to have that prescription as the gray days of winter are approaching, too.

Bought jeans and long sleeved tees at Kohl's--Levis for $22/pair. Bought fabric and trimming to make a wedding veil for a young friend. Cost of bridal salon veil: $500 (seriously). Cost of materials to create a good-enough facsimile: $6.93. Seriously. Wedding and colleges--the biggest rackets.