Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #2521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She has been gone for 13 days and I have been watching her 15 1/2 month old while she was away.
I'm guessing that you're ready for a break.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #2522
Full time employment: Posting here.

Had my therapy session this morning, went to Target, chilling out the rest of the afternoon

Old 10-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #2523
Give me a forum ...

I went to the bank and got my investment consolidation to VG paperwork completed with medallion signature guarantee. Hallelujah!
I will be addressing the envelopes first thing tomorrow AM and off they go. It has taken me a long time to get this done stop procrastinating , so I'm taking my "complete" for the day, week, month, and year.

Also did Chinese buffet with former co-w*rkers. They continue to openly envy me.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:14 PM   #2524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Three very pleasant days, spent most of each kayaking. Hope we will have a few more before winter sets in.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:16 PM   #2525
Give me a forum ...

I fixed the electric toothbrush, whose non-replaceable battery was failing. It's the simple things in life that you treasure (Galaxy Quest).

Toothbrush 001.jpg

Toothbrush 003.jpg

The funny thing is that it won't run unless you cycle the connection to the external batteries twice rapidly. It took me a lot of futzing and knocking to discover that.

DW will love that "feature."

Also, I have it running on 3 V instead of 1.5, so now it's supercharged, and feels like the thing the dentist uses to clean your teeth.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:01 PM   #2526
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I fixed the electric toothbrush, whose non-replaceable battery was failing.....

Also, I have it running on 3 V instead of 1.5, so now it's supercharged, and feels like the thing the dentist uses to clean your teeth.
Al Al Al. You're a wild man! So let me get this straight. Your long suffering bride goes into the bathroom to brush her teeth first thing in the morning and has to hold a set of double voltage batteries high in the air in her left hand, click her heels twice and stick her thumb in the charging socket, then advance on the only set of teeth she has left with the brush from hell screaming a berserker wail? and if her teeth stand up to the attack of bristles moving at 186,000 RPM she still is liable to have a new perm afterwards due to the intense EMF field generated by said brush?

Are you going to give her first try with said machine or would it be safer for you to try it out as she stands by with a 2x4 to knock you away from the high voltage lines?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #2527
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Gee whiz! That THING can shake all your and DW's teeth loose.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #2528
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
all I can say is I am very envious....
Well, hey, I envy your location when... um, with the climate that... ah, every time that I... eh, never mind.

The fruit trees seem to have been on steroids this year.

Quote:
I fixed the electric toothbrush, whose non-replaceable battery was failing.
I read that the inventors of that toothbrush motor were paid $400M (that's MMMMillion!) by Oral-B's parent corporation.

When our model died for the nth time, I noticed that the new models have a rounded bottom so that you can't stand them on end. Further nuclear analysis research revealed that when the toothbrush is stored upright, water from the bristles seeps down into the casing around the motor shaft and corrodes the electronics. The mold on the inside of the casing was pretty impressive, too... your modification seems to neatly solve all those problems.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:12 AM   #2529
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and if her teeth stand up to the attack of bristles moving at 186,000 RPM
One problem is that when you switch it on, any toothpaste on the tip is flung around the room.

Quote:
...when the toothbrush is stored upright, water from the bristles seeps down into the casing around the motor shaft and corrodes the electronics.
Exactly. I actually think that most of this happens when you're brushing. That is, if you brush with the base lower than the tip, the saliva/toothpaste mixture slips into the housing, aided by the oscillating shaft. It's a terrible design. I put bicycle grease around the shaft, but there was still a lot of rust in there.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #2530
Administrator

Quote:
One problem is that when you switch it on, any toothpaste on the tip is flung around the room.
Aw, be nice! You've had your fun - - now buy your wife a new toothbrush.

You can always use the old one if you'd rather but for someone like me, it sounds like a complete and utter nightmare, first thing in the morning.
Guys!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-22-2009, 10:59 AM   #2531
Give me a forum ...

I think she should chase Al around the house with it...
Old 10-22-2009, 11:03 AM   #2532
Moderator Emeritus

I think you should put a toothbrush head on an electric screwdriver and see what happens.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #2533
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I fixed the electric toothbrush, whose non-replaceable battery was failing. It's the simple things in life that you treasure (Galaxy Quest).

The funny thing is that it won't run unless you cycle the connection to the external batteries twice rapidly. It took me a lot of futzing and knocking to discover that.

DW will love that "feature."

If DW is not impressed by your ingenuity, this supercharged toothbrush appears to be the PERFECT tool for cleaning your bicycle rims, i.e. removing cow plop from the spokes.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #2534
Give me a forum ...

Went to lunch with a handsome man , picked up the winterized boat, and got our flu shots.
Oh....I almost forgot! dh2b is bringing home 6 lbs of bacon tonight.
My hero!
A recent fundraiser breakfast had low attendance, so they froze the unopened packages, thinking they would do an encore. That didn't happen, so they sold it off cheap ($2.00 per lb).
I'll be swimming in bacon!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #2535
Full time employment: Posting here.

I enjoyed the whole day with my wife and daughter on our second wedding anniversary.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 AM   #2536
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I mostly worried about my impending dental surgery. The closer to the surgery date de less my teeth -true or false- bother me.

On a really serious and tragic note: I´ve spent some time brooding and pondering about the absurd death of a friend of my wife´s- got herself killed slipping and falling when in her bathtub. She was 40. 2 children 6 and 4.

I am a true believer that we are -as we say here in Spain- in God´s hands.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #2537
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday I got started by digging 133 holes to plant 400 daffodil bulbs. Took a walk in the neighborhood with DW, ran into a neighbor whose dryer vent had gotten badly blocked. Helped him get it unblocked (leaf blower and duct tape), and he gave us a container of home made MD crab soup for a reward. Ran a few errands, picked up 20 bags of mulch, fought with Discovercard over my reward points. Made some baked tilapia, wild rice, and vegetables to go with the crab soup. Relaxed and watched some Buffy the Vampire Slayer episodes on DVD. An excellent day.

Edit: I didn't read your post before I posted Vincente. That's truly tragic. These things seem to happen all the time, with no rhyme or reason. As you say, we are all in God's hands.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM   #2538
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
On a really serious and tragic note: I´ve spent some time brooding and pondering about the absurd death of a friend of my wife´s- got herself killed slipping and falling when in her bathtub. She was 40. 2 children 6 and 4.
Having seen sudden death or people with terminal illness, I have slowly learned to live in the present, and not fuss too much over long-term plans. People who are LBYM'ers tend to plan too far ahead and should learn to accept that life is full of surprises, and not always pleasant ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
...he gave us a container of home made MD crab soup for a reward.
Please describe MD crab soup. The only one I know is asparagus crab soup. Talk about crab, I just came back from the dentist's office for a crown on a molar. I got a bad chip on one, due to chomping on a crab claw many many years ago. It developed a crack, but the fracture didn't fall off until recently. It is sad when you are getting old, and your body starts to deteriorate.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:03 PM   #2539
Give me a forum ...

This should be a simple operation, but Murphy's Law is always alive and well.
dh2b is going to completely rebuild my laptop OS from full hard drive reformat to XP reinstallation. He is very computer savvy, so it should go well. Do I sound nervous?
He is reformatting the drive now. The threats against the hardware and colorful language are minimal so far.
He took pity on me and loaned me his laptop, which has Vista OS on it. Gag!!!! Yes, I am a techno-snob. I have viewed Vista as "shrink-wrapped beta-ware" from the day MS released it.
I prefer XP's HCI anyday.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:45 PM   #2540
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Please describe MD crab soup. The only one I know is asparagus crab soup.
Maryland crab soup is basically a beef broth and tomato based soup, like a standard vegetable soup, but with Blue crab meat, crab body parts, and Old Bay seasoning. Here's a recipe I've used in the past. Cooks.com - Recipe - Award Winning Maryland Crab Soup

We catch (or buy) some crabs, steam them up for dinner, and use the leftovers in the soup. In restaurants they don't usually throw the bodies in, but they are great to suck the juice and meat out of after cooking in the soup, as long as you don't worry about having any class.

Quote:
Talk about crab, I just came back from the dentist's office for a crown on a molar. I got a bad chip on one, due to chomping on a crab claw many many years ago. It developed a crack, but the fracture didn't fall off until recently. It is sad when you are getting old, and your body starts to deteriorate.
Yeah, but it sure was fun creating the damage in your youth. “Live life so completely that when death comes to you like a thief in the night, there will be nothing left for him to steal.”

Closed Thread