Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #2541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for the recipe. Looks easy enough to try. Of course, the only hard part is to get some crab. I suspect substitution with meatier Dungeness crab would be approved.

Anyway, it's not Death's stealthy approach in the middle of the night that one minds so much. It's the blatant in-daylight assault, the in-your-face taunting and the menace as he encircles you while you wearily await your fate that one worries about.

Gee, it must be the dentist's Novocaine that induced the above flowery post.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #2542
Give me a forum ...

I mowed the lawn this AM, hopefully for the last time this season. Love the smell of newly cut grass. Maybe I'll edge it tomorrow; don't want to get it all done in a day...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:30 PM   #2543
Give me a forum ...

Well, I was surprised to see the anchor was still there when I rode by it on Friday. I moved it off of the freeway land, and picked it up this morning. I'll put it on craigslist lost and found ("nautical item found -- you describe it") for a week, then sell it.

AnchorSmaller.jpg
Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #2544
Give me a forum ...

Rosanne RoseannaDanna: it just goes to show, it's always something.

My newly minted rental manager took his wife & 5month old son back to see her Grandparents in Kansas - 1800 miles one way. Driving, because the pediatrician did a swine flu/airplane/baby scare on them. Left Friday evening, after we installed a new refrigerator replacement on a second story apartment. Will be gone till the third.

This morning he called to say he had received a plugged toilet call last night that had gone to cell voicemail while he was in a dead zone. I went over and ran a toilet snake w/out success. Started calling drain cleaners - most were closed, one guy who quoted $300 had about ten different names and numbers under plumbing - good gimmick if you are overpriced. Finally got a guy who would come out for $125/hour. Started to leave and a neighbor stopped me to give a heads up on suspected drug use by a tenant - after fronting the suspect she told me the laundry room was full of water. Uh-oh. Pulled the cleanout cover for the main sewer line, which relieved the pressure and drained the basement and sewer line of water and... stuff. oh goodie. Got to speak with said female tenant regarding the flushability of some stuff. namely it does flush, but forms a - never mind - one of those conversations I really don't enjoy having. Engaged in a bit of bio-hazard cleanup, then washed myself and repeated the mantra - I am a watertight system, I do clean, don't think... That line hasn't plugged up in over five years - ain't it the way! Serious hands-on with the investment.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #2545
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
This morning he called to say he had received a plugged toilet call last night that had gone to cell voicemail while he was in a dead zone. I went over and ran a toilet snake w/out success. Started calling drain cleaners - most were closed, one guy who quoted $300 had about ten different names and numbers under plumbing - good gimmick if you are overpriced. Finally got a guy who would come out for $125/hour. Started to leave and a neighbor stopped me to give a heads up on suspected drug use by a tenant - after fronting the suspect she told me the laundry room was full of water. Uh-oh. Pulled the cleanout cover for the main sewer line, which relieved the pressure and drained the basement and sewer line of water and... stuff. oh goodie. Got to speak with said female tenant regarding the flushability of some stuff. namely it does flush, but forms a - never mind - one of those conversations I really don't enjoy having. Engaged in a bit of bio-hazard cleanup, then washed myself and repeated the mantra - I am a watertight system, I do clean, don't think... That line hasn't plugged up in over five years - ain't it the way! Serious hands-on with the investment.
One more reminder why I decided to become a mutualfundlord rather than a landlord...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 10-24-2009, 06:11 PM   #2546
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Well, I was surprised to see the anchor was still there when I rode by it on Friday. I moved it off of the freeway land, and picked it up this morning. I'll put it on craigslist lost and found ("nautical item found -- you describe it") for a week, then sell it.

Attachment 7651
Funny I dropped mine while driving through the area. I was a bit lost (my GPS got a hiccup), and I did not even remember the freeway I took. However, I can recognize mine from the picture. Thanks for rescuing it for me. I am back in AZ now, and the shipping charge is a bit high. So, please go ahead and sell it, then send me the proceed. Please keep $10 for your trouble. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #2547
Give me a forum ...

Alternating between domestic duties, drinking tea on my patio and rolling around in my bathroom floors removing carpet tack strips. Pinch me, I must be dreaming...
Old 10-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #2548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
One more reminder why I decided to become a mutualfundlord rather than a landlord...
This after getting the property tax statements this morning. Using the tax man's "true cash value" the total value of the property went up 10.2% in '07, 9.4% in '08, and dropped 7.5% this statement. Property taxes went up 4.6% even though value went down. OTOH, we stay full, and the rent is sort of like dividends - except I'm mailing out a little rent bump Monday to take effect 12/1/2009. Can you make your mutal funds pay higher dividends? Then again, maybe I have to do a bit more to get them...

A good thing is that the new value is still 11.2% more than I show for property value in Quicken - I'm pessimistic. 'Course the tax man will take about a 25% cut when we sell, so if I can get the new manager to stick around and do as I do, maybe we'll just ride the rental dividend train.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:34 PM   #2549
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Alternating between domestic duties, drinking tea on my patio and rolling around in my bathroom floors removing carpet tack strips. Pinch me, I must be dreaming...
And glued down pad on the concrete? yuck - not as nice as removing from a wood subfloor...
Old 10-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #2550
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And glued down pad on the concrete? yuck - not as nice as removing from a wood subfloor...
Fortunately the pad is not glued down. However, I'm stretching my 'limits' trying to get around the toilets. We're doing this so that we can save money when we have the new flooring put in. Ahhh, but it just so happens DH is on a bike trip and will be back a couple of days before the new stuff is put in. Soooooo....lucky me.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #2551
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I dunno. Ever had a hedge fund back up on ya?

(Disclaimer: I'm all in index funds, and if I get that vacation home, I'm not renting it out. The whacko tax law impact on that scares me almost as much as the thought of tenants.)
Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #2552
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post

Attachment 7651
THAT'S where my anchor went. I've been going crazy looking all over for it since I pulled the boat 3 weeks ago.
It's silver and has two sneakers attached with fishing line to it.
I won't need it back until spring, so could you please store it for me?
Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 PM   #2553
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Got to speak with said female tenant regarding the flushability of some stuff. namely it does flush, but forms a - never mind - one of those conversations I really don't enjoy having.
I was always drafted for that conversation. Don't people's mother's teach them anything?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 10-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #2554

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I was always drafted for that conversation. Don't people's mother's teach them anything?
They should - you'd be surprised how many of these items I've seen washed up on river banks after being flushed downstream through a sewage treatment plant.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:18 AM   #2555
Administrator

Frank and I are back home from our trip to Oregon for the wedding of my 31-year-old daughter and her fiance. She is my only child, very dear to me, and the light of my life. Her fiance, now husband, lives and works in Oregon and is a citizen, but was born near Barcelona, Spain and grew up there. His parents have never been outside of Spain before, and do not speak English (and I do not speak Spanish) but luckily their warmth and caring needed no translation. My ex was there, which also had the potential of being awkward - - we have not communicated for 11 years since our divorce - - but everyone was on their best behavior.

It didn't rain, and the weather was perfect for this outdoor wedding in a wedding grove. About 25-30 people attended, many of them people who work with the groom at Intel and were the very definition of geeks (meant in a kindly way because they were great people and many were also multilingual and could help with the translating). Christina was 45 minutes late in making her entrance. The groom waited patiently at the altar. When she finally made her entrance, on her father's arm, she was breathtakingly, stunningly gorgeous and utterly elegant. There was a rose ceremony in which the mothers each got a beautiful red rose. Their vows were written by each for the wedding, and were so touching and real that my eyes brimmed with tears of joy and happiness. .

After the wedding, the photographer took photos of the wedding party and families and then we joined everyone else at the reception. There was a table for the wedding party, and then eight identical tables with red tableclothes, many votive candles, gift chocolates in little boxes, and flowers on each. I got a chance to talk with the bride and groom together and separately at various times during the evening, and their love for one another and mutual commitment is deep. He is the right person for her, and she for him.

There was a very lavish catered buffet dinner with an open bar, and the wedding cake was delicious (chocolate with white icing! yum). I heard some of it was carrot cake too, but I didn't have that. The best man gave a toast, and then each of the four parents made an extemporaneous statement. The groom's parents did it in Spanish with a geek translator. It all worked out. Then the couple danced and after them the Intel people danced. Ever see geeks dance after a few drinks? They were hilarious and had a lot of fun. I got to talk to a friend of Christina's who was in her first grade class, and also was her first college roommate, and who I hadn't seen since then. She flew in from Texas for the wedding. And, I got to meet some of her Oregon friends that I have been hearing about for so long. The reception lasted until 10:00 or 10:15 PM. We were the last family members to leave, though 3-4 of the intoxicated geeks were still there.

Christina said on Facebook last night that everything went perfectly, other than the late start, and I agree! I am so happy that she had her dream wedding and that it was all that she had hoped. She is on what she calls her "mini-honeymoon", a couple of days at the Oregon coast, and they plan to have their "real honeymoon" (a trip to Japan) in a couple of months when they can get off work.

Frank and I spent all day yesterday flying back to New Orleans, a grueling experience with ALL planes completely full (ugh!) and nothing but peanuts for lunch and dinner so we went out to dinner last night at 9:00, after we arrived in New Orleans. We hardly slept the whole time we were in Oregon, due to continual wedding-related parties, so I slept well last night.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #2556
Give me a forum ...

Great story, thanks!
Old 10-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #2557
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like the best wedding ever, W2R! Congratulations on being a Mother in Law!

The most exciting thing I did today was get my H1N1 vaccine.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:06 PM   #2558
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Sounds like the best wedding ever, W2R! Congratulations on being a Mother in Law!
Wow, I hadn't thought of that! I'll have to sharpen my fangs and claws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
The most exciting thing I did today was get my H1N1 vaccine.
Congratulations! In your occupation I am really, really glad you were able to get vaccinated, for the safety of the little babies you treat.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #2559
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got in the last day of kayaking. Choppy and windy, still it was enjoyable. With regret, put the kayak on the winter rack in the garage.

DW was hanging curtains, fell off the chair which she was standing on. Fortunately just bruises nothing broken. Whew. Found out when I got home. She is just darn impatient, would not wait 'till I got home. I think next time she will.
Old 10-27-2009, 05:39 AM   #2560
Give me a forum ...

Recovering from a very full day yesterday - visual field test for eyes (Pavlovian experiment minus the drooling ), shopping for healthy snacks for dh2b, boat storage project complete with jammed trailer ball receptacle on trailer , helping dh2b finalize installation of application software on my fully rebuilt laptop...whew!
Today will have to be a full goof off day.

I scored some cheapo 3D glasses at the video store. 3D movies are making a comeback. I put Vincent Price's classic House of Wax on our Netflix queue just in time for Halloween. Mwah haha It is one of the oldest 3D movies made.

W2R - sounds like the wedding was splendid. Congratulations on becoming a MIL. And yes, partying with techno-geeks is a hoot!