Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 AM   #2561
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Spent part of the morning trying to go back on my dental surgery set for next Tuesday. I know, I am a wimp, a sissy, chicken...... But I canŽt face the ordeal of dental implants. And in the end they are my teeth.... Been these past 2 weeks agonizing about the wretched thing.

IŽll try to reach a compromise with the dentist and have him save 3/4 teeth and go for a conventional set of dentures. I am aware that in 2/3 years I may have problems but for me, at my age, those 3/4 years are like a lifetime....

Another problem will be my wifeŽs reaction to my change of plans- she is going to be furious!! SheŽll attack me like a cougar-the feline type

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #2562
Administrator

Vicente, what is most important is how YOU feel about getting implants (not how we feel, or even how your wife feels about getting them). I think you have considered the advantages and disadvantages of both implants and dentures. If you feel dentures are better in your case, then that is what you should do.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #2563

Want2retire:
I wasnŽt too convinced about the implants to start with. Too afraid of the pain during the op and post op. The lengthy process of it all. I was more or less railroaded into it by my wife.
I agree that some teeth must go.... But IŽll take my chances with less modern techniques to replace them.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:11 AM   #2564
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicente solano View Post
Want2retire:
I wasnŽt too convinced about the implants to start with. Too afraid of the pain during the op and post op. The lengthy process of it all. I was more or less railroaded into it by my wife.
I agree that some teeth must go.... But IŽll take my chances with less modern techniques to replace them.
I can certainly understand your desire to avoid a long, painful implant process. Another advantage of dentures is that they are cheaper than implants. Although I don't think that should be the reason for your decision (and I don't think it was), it will be nice to have the extra money to spend on other things, too. You could buy a new car or travel.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #2565

Oh, that was FUN to read. I felt like I was there. Congratulations!
Old 10-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #2566
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Today is the day to fill out the VG forms. I can barely contain my enthusiasm.
18+ years of govt paperw*rk has given me a strong aversion to doing stuff like this.
I feel like I have the devil with the pitchfork ("Blow it off" )on one shoulder and the angel with the harp ("Get it done!" ) on the other.
With that said, I am logging off...

UPDATE: 2.5 hours later, all I can do right now is...

I LOVE Irish dancing..........particularly the women dancers......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 10-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #2567
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I LOVE Irish dancing..........particularly the women dancers......
Do the men also dance, gotta check that out. Hands to the side but cheerful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0178.jpg (536.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 10-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #2568
Give me a forum ...

Rain again today. Tomorrow looks good for golf, but Thursday-Friday....rain again. Getting old. So to break the boredom, had lunch with one of my old work buddies. That was a hoot, hearing all the normal work related horror stories.

But I had a horror story to tell. My darn furnace has played out. It has struggled to come on the last couple of years. This thing is a dinosaur, the original unit from when the house was built in the 60's. The motor that pushes the hot air through the duct work won't engage without a struggle. Had a guy put on a new belt, but same thing. Can't get a new motor and it gets hot while running so a definite fire hazard. New furnace cost $2k. No central air so going to add that while I'm at. Get rid of the window air units. They are old as heck too. So after $1500 tax rebate, about $4k in it. Didn't want to put this much in an old house but it should make it easier to sell. I imagine I will be here another 3-5 years. And this unit has a 10 year warranty on all parts which is transferable to a new owner. So I guess that will be a selling point. I hate spending money on stuff like this.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:15 PM   #2569
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
. So I guess that will be a selling point. I hate spending money on stuff like this.

Yep, last year my air conditioner broke labor day week end . I had a choice leave Florida immediately or spring for new unit . I went with the new unit $6,000 and it has lowered my bills . Now my refrigerator is acting up so I guess that is next .
Old 10-27-2009, 05:18 PM   #2570
Give me a forum ...

Since I've been retired I come up with lots of projects to keep my SO occupied . I do not want him to be bored and while I love the results I hate the pre finish mess . He is currently replacing the undercounter kitchen lights and installing new molding in the dining room & living room .
Old 10-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #2571
Give me a forum ...

I checked up on my consolidation paperw*rk at the VG site. I mailed the forms just about a week ago.
The status is "Awaiting transfer of funds from...".
This is the final step to a huge mess of paperw*rk that started 5 years ago when I inherited JTWROS registered funds from my LH. I did the minimum registration changes, but I had a real mental block about fully concluding this business. Closure is wonderful.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #2572
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Talk about crab, I just came back from the dentist's office for a crown on a molar. I got a bad chip on one, due to chomping on a crab claw many many years ago. It developed a crack, but the fracture didn't fall off until recently. It is sad when you are getting old, and your body starts to deteriorate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, but it sure was fun creating the damage in your youth. “Live life so completely that when death comes to you like a thief in the night, there will be nothing left for him to steal.”
Paybacks for being a smartass about your tooth. Last night we were eating dinner. I was eating a salad (salad!), and there was a horrible crack. My right rear tooth broke right in half! Bummer. Luckily, minimal pain, and I went in today and they did a temporary fill on it. I'll probably need a crown, hopefully not a root canal. The worst part is I can't figure out what the fun part was that I did that resulted in this particular deterioration.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:23 PM   #2573
Give me a forum ...

No, I can commiserate with you. Isn't that sad? I would get a Manhattan to cry into. No, pour your favorite single-malt whiskey, as I remember that is your favorite drink. Isn't that sad? We had our youth. Now we have a bit more money, but money can't even buy real new teeth.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #2574
Give me a forum ...

I did battle with TDA today. Seems there was a $75 fee they wanted to assess for a transfer of a balance of...are you ready for this?...
$4.58 in a non-retirement account. Destination is VG. The account was a leftover glitch of their database when I did some account consolidation about 4 years ago.

VG called me and broke the $75 fee news BEFORE I was charged. Oddly enough, there were no fees required for transfer of balances from 2 other accounts (1 Roth and 1 nonretirement) with TDA. I went to TDA site and double checked their fee schedules. No fees for transfers to other companies were listed.
So I called TDA. After telling the customer rep that it wasn't personal and I was doing this only for the standard telephone call recording rules, I said :
"Wasn't That Funny? Now close the account and mail me a check for $4.58 before I call the SEC. If I see any charges assessed on the upcoming transfer on the other 2 accounts, you will hear from my attorney."
I thanked the rep and asked him to please play the recording for his supervisor. He said he certainly would. He sounded like he was really trying not to laugh (with me).

Oh that felt good.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #2575

Freed up about 5 square feet of space by donating some techie and coffee table books and other stuff to a local charity. Hey it is a start!
Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #2576
Administrator

Today I went back to work for the first time in almost three weeks, though I only had to work for three hours ("Employee Appreciation Day"). If I ever had any doubts about ER, they are gone. Even three hours was unpleasant.

I was shocked to learn that a meteorologist about my age that I work with suddenly had to have open heart surgery while I was gone. I asked him just before I left if he was thinking of retiring, and he said that he had no plans to do so because he has a mortgage to pay on the new house he bought five years ago. This is so sad because it sounds like he is chained to the job.

After work I put away some of the personal items that I have been bringing home from the office and dumping in a corner.

Then napped for an hour, to make up for the three hours of work!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 10-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #2577
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
...After telling the customer rep that it wasn't personal and I was doing this only for the standard telephone call recording rules, I said :
"Wasn't That Funny? Now close the account and mail me a check for $4.58 before I call the SEC. If I see any charges assessed on the upcoming transfer on the other 2 accounts, you will hear from my attorney."
I thanked the rep and asked him to please play the recording for his supervisor. He said he certainly would. He sounded like he was really trying not to laugh (with me).
Oh, well done! Well done!

Old 10-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #2578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Oh, well done! Well done!

The velvet hammer strikes again.

She takes a bow...
Old 10-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Today I went back to work for the first time in almost three weeks, though I only had to work for three hours ("Employee Appreciation Day"). If I ever had any doubts about ER, they are gone. Even three hours was unpleasant.

I was shocked to learn that a meteorologist about my age that I work with suddenly had to have open heart surgery while I was gone. I asked him just before I left if he was thinking of retiring, and he said that he had no plans to do so because he has a mortgage to pay on the new house he bought five years ago. This is so sad because it sounds like he is chained to the job.

After work I put away some of the personal items that I have been bringing home from the office and dumping in a corner.

Then napped for an hour, to make up for the three hours of work!
Good for you!

Just before I retired, one of my staff asked me if I was sure I really wanted to leave. I replied that I had never felt more comfortable with a decision, than the one I made to retire.

-- Rita

P.S. Naps are wonderful, aren't they?
Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #2580
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Good for you!

Just before I retired, one of my staff asked me if I was sure I really wanted to leave. I replied that I had never felt more comfortable with a decision, than the one I made to retire.

-- Rita

P.S. Naps are wonderful, aren't they?
Thank you!! And yes, they are wonderful indeed. Today I completely finished my exit clearance except for returning my badge and parking tag, which I will do the last day.

I was just telling a co-worker how excited I am becoming about my impending retirement! I can hardly wait. Before that I helped my supervisor with the wording for the re-written ad for my job (since nobody qualified responded last time). It is really happening.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread