Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM   #2601
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Either it was Spanish Fly or a date rape drug of some type...........
Please, leave Spain out of this issue!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2009, 12:20 PM   #2602
Administrator

Things are getting exciting! Some mentioned wanting to hear my experiences during my final week at work, and what is happening and how I am feeling.

Today I had my exit interview with HR. They gave me copies of all the paperwork that they are going to send to OPM the day after I leave. One specifically states that I am retiring and that I appear to be eligible to continue my medical coverage into retirement, and for the first time this is IN WRITING and signed by my HR rep. Of course OPM has the last word but they usually agree with the local HR people.

My exit clearance is complete with all 20 signatures, except for returning my badge and parking permit. All my paperwork is done.

I have nothing left in my cubicle except office supplies (and my exit clearance form), and nothing whatsoever left on my computer or LAN. All my e-mails are deleted or passed on, and I have composed my "Out of Office Assistant" message to turn on next Monday. Just now I have been cleaning the countertops and whiteboard.

DO YOU THINK I AM READY YET?

My (kind, very human) supervisor asked me if I felt a little sad in some ways, thinking "I will never walk these halls again!". I politely told her that it is like graduation. You know you will think back fondly upon this period in your life, and you know you won't be seeing your friends every day any more. But you also know that you are moving on to something else. While one may occasionally reminisce, it is unlikely that one would spend a whole lot of time looking back, coming back to visit the old workplace, and such. She said I should come back at least once, to give the others hope.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #2603
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Dreaming of retirement....6 days
Should you be expressing that in terms of hours or even minutes?

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #2604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Should you be expressing that in terms of hours or even minutes?
Get a countdown clock off the Inet! Its very gratifying to watch it tick by!
Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #2605
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You GO girl...and I know you are!

As for me, I'm stumbling through my house of disarray....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01125.jpg (520.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01126.jpg (464.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01127.jpg (368.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01128.jpg (390.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 11-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #2606
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
As for me, I'm stumbling through my house of disarray....
Your bathtub photo seems like a very efficient approach to one's bathroom routine, but when you flush that toilet I bet it's a good thing for your avatar that you're wearing boots...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 11-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #2607
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
...when you flush that toilet I bet it's a good thing for your avatar that you're wearing boots...
Yep. But you might want to swap out those leather beauties for some high-top rubber galoshes...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #2608

Voted. Town supervisors, judges, school board.

The big brouhaha around here is school consolidation. In the last 20 years or so the student population fell by nearly 50%. Some folks still want to maintain two schools instead of busing some 15 miles to another one. I voted for the bunch that wants to consolidate.

Will be interesting to see how much actual money is saved by the consolidation. Likely less than projected.

Tomorrow, cataract surgery 1st of the two eyes. I am really curious if I will have true binocular stereoscopic vision for the first time in 61.99 years.
Old 11-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #2609
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Babysitting the guys installing the floors. My house is one big dust bomb.
Is it hardwood floors you are having installed? I had hardwoods put down in a few rooms about 10 years ago and I think I must have continued to find dust from that mess for about a year. Despite my continual cleaning, I'd go into a closet or up to a shelf I hadn't visited in a while and still find dust many months later.

The guys did a good job but I am convinced that they must have brought the power tools into the house and cut the boards inside. When I left for work, the tools and the flooring were in the garage. But who knows what happened after I left. Yet another great thing about being retired - I can stay now and watch these things like a hawk!
Old 11-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #2610

Ive been playing nurse. DW has had the flu not pleasant stuff. Good thing I made soup the other day. Hope I dont get the stuff.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:13 PM   #2611
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksr View Post
Is it hardwood floors you are having installed? I had hardwoods put down in a few rooms about 10 years ago and I think I must have continued to find dust from that mess for about a year. Despite my continual cleaning, I'd go into a closet or up to a shelf I hadn't visited in a while and still find dust many months later.
No...it's Amtico laminate flooring. I know laminate puts a bad taste in most people's mouths, but this stuff is unbelievable. It looks and feels like wood under the feet, but is practically indestructible. The warranty on this flooring will outlive me. I had hardwood floors in my last house, and I loved them. However we have two cats and we are two messy, boot scootin' humans.

I had it put in my laundry room, kitchen and dining room 3 years ago. I decided to go with it in other areas because it looks so great. The dust came/comes from the carpet I tore out and the guys having to level/smooth the floors. There's no doubt in my mind that dust bunnies will haunt me for quite some time.

Oh...Nords and REWahoo...doesn't everyone have a toilet in their tub?

Now I must say 'adios' for now as I have to paint the new base boards that will go down in the master bedroom.....
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #2612
Give me a forum ...

What a beautiful day. I played golf today and played pretty well. Had 5 birdies. Yesterday none. Crazy. Later I took the mutt on a nice walk at the local park. Trees are really pretty right now.

Tomorrow I'll be staying around the house. The ac/heating crew will be here getting started on the new system. A 2 day process. Just my luck, weather gets nice and I'm stuck at the house watching my checking account go to pot.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #2613
Administrator

Wow, 5 birdies? That's great, Dawg! It's gorgeous down here, too. Maybe you can sit outside (got a porch?) while they work on your A/C and heating, or play in the yard with your dog.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM   #2614

Holy cow 5 birdies. I dont even do that on a miniature golf course. Hopefully you didn't need to pay for your beer.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #2615
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
My Mom used to say something like this..."When you are at a party, drinking the beer you don't think I know about, keep your cup in your hand at all times, or someone might slip you a Mickey."

I knew what she was telling me, but I never really did understand what a "Mickey" was. Anybody here remember that word?
I believe it was chloral hydrate. Obsolete for today's rapists and robbers.

Ha
Old 11-03-2009, 08:05 PM   #2616
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Things are getting exciting! Some mentioned wanting to hear my experiences during my final week at work, and what is happening and how I am feeling.

Today I had my exit interview with HR. They gave me copies of all the paperwork that they are going to send to OPM the day after I leave. One specifically states that I am retiring and that I appear to be eligible to continue my medical coverage into retirement, and for the first time this is IN WRITING and signed by my HR rep. Of course OPM has the last word but they usually agree with the local HR people.

My exit clearance is complete with all 20 signatures, except for returning my badge and parking permit. All my paperwork is done.

I have nothing left in my cubicle except office supplies (and my exit clearance form), and nothing whatsoever left on my computer or LAN. All my e-mails are deleted or passed on, and I have composed my "Out of Office Assistant" message to turn on next Monday. Just now I have been cleaning the countertops and whiteboard.

My (kind, very human) supervisor asked me if I felt a little sad in some ways, thinking "I will never walk these halls again!". I politely told her that it is like graduation. You know you will think back fondly upon this period in your life, and you know you won't be seeing your friends every day any more. But you also know that you are moving on to something else. While one may occasionally reminisce, it is unlikely that one would spend a whole lot of time looking back, coming back to visit the old workplace, and such. She said I should come back at least once, to give the others hope.
Except for the retirement paperw*rk, oh the memories this stirred.
I really like your analogy of retiring to graduating school. Very appropos.
I am SO HAPPY for you.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #2617

Quote:

And life goes on. Good luck in your next stage in life W2R you have earned it
Old 11-03-2009, 08:09 PM   #2618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I believe it was chloral hydrate. Obsolete for today's rapists and robbers.

Ha
DING DING DING we have a winner.
I really didn't know exactly what a "Mickey" was, and never thought of looking it up here
Mickey Finn (drugs) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So my Mom's advice was right on target. I followed it to the letter.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #2619
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Want2Retire,

Been excited for you seeing the countdown decrease each day on your signature line. Wanted to offer my contratulations too. Retirement is like a "graduation". Very well said by you. CONGRATS
Old 11-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #2620
Give me a forum ...

Worked at the court this morning and found only one rotten case.

The saga continues at my house regarding the floor installation. I never in my life thought I would ever say this, but (no pun intended)....."I'm tired of looking at male backsides."