Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #2621
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Worked at the court this morning and found only one rotten case.

The saga continues at my house regarding the floor installation. I never in my life thought I would ever say this, but (no pun intended)....."I'm tired of looking at male backsides."
Well, then, send some MY way.

Chinese buffet today. One of my former co-w*rkers made a minor pass at me. I will admit that I loved every minute of that.
I drove my midlife crisis car one last time with the top down and heat and tunes blasting, and gave it a deluxe car wash. Now it gets all covered up and tucked into the garage for a long winter's sleep.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2009, 03:11 PM   #2622
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
No...you really don't want me to do that.......it's a nightmare on crack street.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:13 PM   #2623
Recycles dryer sheets

tried my hand at another practice ER day... I could get used to this...
Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM   #2624
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The saga continues at my house regarding the floor installation. I never in my life thought I would ever say this, but (no pun intended)....."I'm tired of looking at male backsides."
I saw my share of male backsides today as well. I didn't get anything out of it either. The guys made pretty good progress on my new heating and cooling system. Should finish tomorrow. Funny how things go. I planned to just install the bottom of the line system since this is an old house and not planning on being here long, but got a pretty decent one because of tax rebates and mfg rebates going right now. Cost the same as the low end after netting out everything. A heat pump with a gas furnace that kicks in on for those real cold days. Suppose to be more efficient, but we will see.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #2625
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
A heat pump with a gas furnace that kicks in on for those real cold days. Suppose to be more efficient, but we will see.

We had our new unit installed labor day week end in Florida last year and it worked perfectly until our first cold snap . They forgot to connect the heat pump . They fixed it and everything works fine. It has reduced my electric bill by $75 a month so it was well worth it .
Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #2626
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Your wish is my command.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plumber_crack.jpg (44.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #2627
Administrator

More about my last week at work - -

My farewell/retirement party at work is this afternoon. We will just have snacks in a conference room, and people can come by, say their farewells, and take snacks to their desks on their way out. I chose this instead of the traditional retirement luncheon, because the luncheons cost each attendee $30 and take so long that people have to work late to compensate. Anyway, I am looking forward to it. My supervisor says that at least some of the snacks will be healthy.

Yesterday I had a talk with a Chinese-American meteorologist (first generation immigrant), about 5 years older than me, a brilliant researcher and friend/colleague who was hired the same month I was hired and with whom I have worked on several modeling efforts and a few other things. He wanted to know what I would do when I retired - - would I consult? Wouldn't I get bored? Maybe I would take another government job? Perhaps if nothing else I would teach a class or two at a college?

When I started prattling on about taking up piano again, growing roses, and moving to a quiet community in the heart of America (not a hotbed of oceanographic research), maybe taking a class in economics instead of teaching one in oceanography, and all the walking trails in Springfield, he finally got the idea. I think it took over an hour, though.

I am moving on and oddly, I really could care less about work. I am getting out at just the right time, because it appears that the, er, "stuff" is about to hit the fan there with more assignments and much political turmoil. I have complete confidence in the person that I trained to do the modeling and I know I have left things in good hands. She passed the "acid test" while I was away attending my daughter's wedding - - something came up that was over her head (politically, required a management decision), and she recognized that and went straight to management as I had told her to do rather than trying to shoot from the hip and handle it herself. Bravo!

I just e-mailed my financial/retirement spreadsheet home, after updating this morning as I always do. I did the same yesterday, so today I deleted it for once and for all off of my work computer. That was the last file on it so my computer is completely pristine and ready to be reformatted or standardized for the next user.

It is a beautiful day in New Orleans. After today, I only have my last day at work, which is Monday. On Monday I will return my badge and parking pass, turn in my exit clearance, and not much else.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #2628
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
It is a beautiful day in New Orleans. After today, I only have my last day at work, which is Monday. On Monday I will return my badge and parking pass, turn in my exit clearance, and not much else.
Don't forget to turn in your bullet. Enjoy the day!

Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 AM   #2629
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Don't forget to turn in your bullet. Enjoy the day!
Hey, they never even gave me one (probably because I'm goofier than Barney Fife! ).

Thanks.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-05-2009, 08:54 AM   #2630
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
On Monday I will return my badge and parking pass, turn in my exit clearance, and not much else.
And then leave with a better attitude than shown in this Johnny Cash song, I hope.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:03 AM   #2631
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yeah...don't know what she got at this point. Without giving out too much info or being too graphic, according to her she had one drink at a club, then the next thing she knew she was waking up in an apartment of a stranger.
Those type of crimes infuriate me..........I'd like the see the guy hanging from his hands like a pinata while the victim gets to hit him with a Louisville slugger...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-05-2009, 09:06 AM   #2632
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
More about my last week at work - -

My farewell/retirement party at work is this afternoon. We will just have snacks in a conference room, and people can come by, say their farewells, and take snacks to their desks on their way out. I chose this instead of the traditional retirement luncheon, because the luncheons cost each attendee $30 and take so long that people have to work late to compensate. Anyway, I am looking forward to it. My supervisor says that at least some of the snacks will be healthy.

Yesterday I had a talk with a Chinese-American meteorologist (first generation immigrant), about 5 years older than me, a brilliant researcher and friend/colleague who was hired the same month I was hired and with whom I have worked on several modeling efforts and a few other things. He wanted to know what I would do when I retired - - would I consult? Wouldn't I get bored? Maybe I would take another government job? Perhaps if nothing else I would teach a class or two at a college?

When I started prattling on about taking up piano again, growing roses, and moving to a quiet community in the heart of America (not a hotbed of oceanographic research), maybe taking a class in economics instead of teaching one in oceanography, and all the walking trails in Springfield, he finally got the idea. I think it took over an hour, though.

I am moving on and oddly, I really could care less about work. I am getting out at just the right time, because it appears that the, er, "stuff" is about to hit the fan there with more assignments and much political turmoil. I have complete confidence in the person that I trained to do the modeling and I know I have left things in good hands. She passed the "acid test" while I was away attending my daughter's wedding - - something came up that was over her head (politically, required a management decision), and she recognized that and went straight to management as I had told her to do rather than trying to shoot from the hip and handle it herself. Bravo!

I just e-mailed my financial/retirement spreadsheet home, after updating this morning as I always do. I did the same yesterday, so today I deleted it for once and for all off of my work computer. That was the last file on it so my computer is completely pristine and ready to be reformatted or standardized for the next user.

Congrats!!! Enjoy ER, ya earned it!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #2633
Recycles dryer sheets

Enjoy your long weekend off and enjoy your last Monday at w**k next week....

another one bites the dust...
Old 11-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #2634
Full time employment: Posting here.

I watched it snow all morning. My favorite time of the year is here!

Old 11-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #2635
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....After today, I only have my last day at work, which is Monday. On Monday I will return my badge and parking pass, turn in my exit clearance, and not much else.
And here is what W2R will be performing as she walks out to her car on Monday:

Old 11-05-2009, 04:50 PM   #2636
Administrator

OMG, I just got home after my retirement party and it was more wonderful than I could ever have imagined!

First of all, there was a lot of great snacks and my supervisor (a geeky PhD scientist like me, and my best friend there) actually BAKED two loaves of PUMPKIN BREAD for part of the snacks for the party! Now this is not such an amazing feat if she was Little Suzy Homemaker, but she's not and I was really touched. She probably hasn't baked in 20 years. Besides, it was delicious.

Not only that, but she remembered that I had been griping about never having been presented with a "Time in Service" award in front of my co-workers for various unavoidable reasons. NOBODY cares about these things except me, and it is a big deal to me. I don't know why, but it is. I was due yet another one after Saturday but wasn't going to get it presented either since they are never presented early and I am retiring Monday. SO - - she somehow managed to get it early, and got our Head Dude to come to my party and present it to me there!!! With a photographer and everything. I can't express how wonderful that was for me, because it is an honor that I deserved and never got and because she cared enough to go to all that trouble so that I would.

Then I got to give an impromptu speech and rambled on for a while about what an honor it has been to work with some of the best Gulf of Mexico scientists in the world, and how proud I am of what a upright and ethical bunch we are as well (and the Head Dude made a point of saying that made him feel especially great, since we make huge efforts to keep our standards high). All my very best friends and closest co-workers were there and they were all congratulating me and hugging me.

It just couldn't have been better. What a great group of people!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #2637
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
And here is what W2R will be performing as she walks out to her car on Monday:
You got THAT right!! As jobs go, it was great but that isn't saying much. I am done with working for other people and organizations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
And then leave with a better attitude than shown in this Johnny Cash song, I hope.
Only somewhat!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-05-2009, 05:32 PM   #2638
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Those type of crimes infuriate me..........I'd like the see the guy hanging from his hands like a pinata while the victim gets to hit him with a Louisville slugger...........
Yeah or that sicko with 11 bodies buried around his house. Or those cretins who went on a shooting rampage at Hood.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #2639
Give me a forum ...

W2R - I read all your posts and am very pleased at how you were honored and treated so well at your exit party. This is really important that you were comfy and it didn't sound like it was faked. Nice nice nice.

In comparison...and I'm writing this to enhance how well done your event was...
I've been to a lot of govt retirement events and have seen the retiree squirm because they clearly did not want to be there but were coerced by their group or boss or family members. Then the supervisor who hassled the retiree the most would give some phony speech and do the shake-hands-for-the-photo thing. Then the worst predator peers would give some short spouting off about what a great team member the retiree was. Gag!!!
I myself gently turned down the traditional branch party format. I did my own event by invitation only to a Chinese buffet so folks could show up when they were able. There was a huge inspection the following week and I knew if I set a rigid time, a lot would have to skip it. We laughed and told jokes. No speeches were allowed.

So you are down to JUST 1 DAY.

I'm saving my "10" claps for you for Monday.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #2640
Administrator

Freebird, the neat thing about my party is that my supervisor is really my best friend there (we worked pretty closely together before she became my supervisor).

So, we figured out a way to invite the people I really like the most and knew the best (all the people in my section, plus a very few exceptions cherry-picked from the other section). It worked out beautifully! None of the jerks were invited as they are in the other section, and the worst one of all was meeting with upper upper management at that very time! Just a coincidence but I couldn't have arranged it better. I was so glad that Joe (Top Dude) could give me my award because he is one of the Good Guys.

And yes, the cool thing was that it wasn't faked at all! I got a half dozen or dozen real, heartfelt hugs that weren't "Hollywood hugs" at all. Everyone wished me the best, though a few were concerned that the adjustment would be tough for me, so we talked about that too. Believe me, it won't be!

Yes, just ONE MORE WORKING DAY!! And all I have to do is go in, write my farewell e-mail, put my day's hours into the electronic timekeeping program and verify it, clean off my whiteboard, and turn in my badge, parking permit, and exit clearance form. My supervisor says (shhhh!) she won't notice if I don't show up again after lunch.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Closed Thread