Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #2661
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Have you PM'ed her?
Not yet...I'm gonna give her a little while, then I'm callin' out the calvary!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #2662
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Not yet...I'm gonna give her a little while, then I'm callin' out the calvary!
Well, she was logged into the forum today. I have a bad case of CRS (Can't Remember, uh, Stuff) but it seems to me that in the past she has had painful problems that kept her from typing, didn't she? Perhaps they have recurred.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-06-2009, 05:30 PM   #2663
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
OMG, I just got home after my retirement party and it was more wonderful than I could ever have imagined!
Glad it all went well!

Well I got my heating and cooling system installed. It is nice, feels like I've been brought into the 21st century. They did try to screw me at the end though. The guy that priced the job(owner) said the current insulation around the duct work in the attic would be sufficient. But he didn't crawl around the whole attic, just based it on what he could see when peeping up there. The guys that installed the unit said no, that there was some break points that was not wrapped properly. They recommended upgrading to some better insulation to the tune of $1,400. I called the owner and raised %e!! so he backed off and said they would do it for the price of the materials, around $250. A 2 day job so I agreed. Still $250 I wasn't expecting, but I want to be sure I don't have moisture problems in the summer.

Oh well, the perils of being a homeowner. Time to head to the club for a few med's and dinner.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #2664
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Glad it all went well!

They recommended upgrading to some better insulation to the tune of $1,400. I called the owner and raised %e!! so he backed off and said they would do it for the price of the materials, around $250. A 2 day job so I agreed. Still $250 I wasn't expecting, but I want to be sure I don't have moisture problems in the summer.

Oh well, the perils of being a homeowner. Time to head to the club for a few med's and dinner.

Funny you should mention that ,when I had my air replaced they said my ducts were hanging low and needed to be replaced . I decided to think about it and I've never had a problem since the new installation . So maybe this is their standard "Let's upgrade the job practice ".
Old 11-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #2665
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I want to know what Khan is doing. She hasn't posted in a while....
Have been reading. Haven't had much to say. Will post tomorrow.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #2666
Give me a forum ...

Hi Khan. This just proves we miss you when you're gone.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #2667
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I find it weird that folks notice me and when I am gone.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #2668
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Have been spending much money re plumbers.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #2669
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Have been spending much money re plumbers.
Good grief...it looks like you, Dawg and I have had plenty of plumber's crack this week....and then we get to pay for the privilege...
Old 11-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #2670
Give me a forum ...

Beautiful day in the 70's. Looked up and down my street - everybody's out raking leaves.

Being lefthanded INTJ - dug out my mower /ran it on mulch. After a short run/loaned my big garden cart to my neighbor on the left still raking.

Watching Navy ahead of Norte Dame in the 4th quarter.

heh heh heh - this ER is tough sometimes. .
Old 11-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #2671
Full time employment: Posting here.

Spent all day at a event in Reston, VA called "Homes for the Holidays", a dog rescue event to help rescue groups meet people in order to find homes for their pets. Did a lot of talking and have a lot of interest in our current foster dog, Deago- a 3 1/2 year old blue merle sheltie.

Want2retire- have a great Monday and welcome to retirement, I passed my first year on October 3rd although I am running my sawmill for hire part time. It was great to hear your celebration went well!
Old 11-07-2009, 05:22 PM   #2672
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good grief...it looks like you, Dawg and I have had plenty of plumber's crack this week....and then we get to pay for the privilege...
The plumbers are polite & professional, but they take much money. I gladly pay them, but wish I didn't have to see them so often.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #2673
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great day today! Getting ready for a trip from FL to visit my sister and BIL in Ocean Isle Beach, NC. It's just about 10 miles over the border from Myrtle Beach, SC. About an 11 hour drive. Golf clubs cleaned and packed along with the shoes. I was up there last year on a golf trip with seven other guys (my brother included) to Myrtle Beach for a week. Of course we drove up to my sisters place one day and played one of the courses they live on. Like I said, this trip is to visit with my sister and BIL and my brother and SIL from OH will join us. It's been three years since we've all visited together. One thing our parents wanted us to promise them before they passed away was for us to always stay close to each other. We were always a close knit family and they wanted us to remain close, and we are. We've never had an argument and talk to each other weekly. Can't wait to see them tomorrow evening. We'll have a few drinks and my sister will cook a great dinner as usual. We are bringing Monday night's dinner in a cooler. Six New York strip steaks and the baking potatoes. It's great to be a close family and I can't wait for 5AM to get started.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM   #2674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The plumbers are polite & professional, but they take much money. I gladly pay them, but wish I didn't have to see them so often.
Yeah. Plumbers do alright for themselves. As in the question I pointed out at post #32 in What if everyone ER'd?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #2675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah. Plumbers do alright for themselves.
I'm sure you've heard the one about the woman who called the plumber to unclog the toilet. The job took 15 minutes. "That'll be $200", he said. "$200? I wouldn't pay that to a brain surgeon. "I know" said the plumber. "I used to be one".
Old 11-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #2676
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
"I used to be one".
I'm having a wonderful weekend!
Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #2677
Give me a forum ...

I'm having a wonderful weekend!

I was teaching a seminar in Montreal on Friday, and since I love Montreal, I decided to stay for the weekend.

Wonderful dinner on Friday night, very reasonable for me as I chose the cheapest item on the menu, but a colleague insisted on buying the wine, and it had to be a $120 bottle. Frankly, I've had better wine for $30.

Yesterday was my cultural fix! I started at the McCord Museum where there is an exhibition of the Irish in Quebec, as well as a fun interactive eSpace event to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the first Moon landing. Next, some shopping. Or, at least, it was supposed to be shopping. In fact it was browsing, as I just could not bring myself to spend $150 for leather gloves (I know I can gloves just as elegant for half the price at home) or $1300 for a designer jacket! Anyhow....next stop, the Musee des Beaux Arts, where I focused on Napoleon, fantastical line drawings, and decorative arts (there was a wonderful Elephant Chair in plastic from the 1970s). Because it was the first Saturday of the month, entry to all the museums was free

The weather is wonderful for November and in my travels I met a lovely woman from Washington DC who is visiting with her son, who is presenting a theology paper at a conference. Then back to the hotel to get dressed for the next event....take the subway to Place des Arts for a night at the opera, Mozart's The Magic Flute. I was worried that I would be the country bumpkin amongst all those stylish Montrealers, but I needn't have worried: it was "anything goes!" The story of the Magic Flute is basically "boy gets girl" but the whole thing is an allegory about Freemasonry. Mozart was a Mason. The production made this very overt and the sets were wonderful. Most of the music will be familiar to many people. All in all a delightful evening!

Today I am having brunch with a friend and then it's off to the airport. I can't believe my luck with the weather as it could well be snowing at this time of year. Montreal is a fascinating city with so many things to do. But I can see why LBYM would be difficult!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #2678
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Yeah. Plumbers do alright for themselves. As in the question I pointed out at post #32 in What if everyone ER'd?
There's not much room to negotiate when the water heater or the central heat (gas-fired hot water system) decides not to work.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #2679
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There's not much room to negotiate when the water heater or the central heat (gas-fired hot water system) decides not to work.
That's the same power a Dentist has. A tooth ache will not be ignored.
Old 11-08-2009, 01:58 PM   #2680
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Good grief...it looks like you, Dawg and I have had plenty of plumber's crack this week...
Had a plumber in about a month ago. “Fluffy,” the cat, usually hides when a stranger comes in, not so with the plumber. She couldn’t get enough of sniffing him all over, rolling over, showing her belly, etc. And yes, he was rank. Then he came back a few days later, happy cat, one cat's crack is....