Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #2681
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Stacked wood for the winter with dh2b.
I stepped in lots of dog poo as I wheelbarrowed the wood over to where dh2b carried it up the steps to the screened in porch.

It just doesn't get any better than this.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #2682
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
...take the subway to Place des Arts for a night at the opera, Mozart's The Magic Flute. I was worried that I would be the country bumpkin amongst all those stylish Montrealers, but I needn't have worried: it was "anything goes!"....
Busy, fun days! As they say, this post is useless without audio, this link launches right into The Queen of the Night's aria:

The Magic Flute | Shows | Opéra de Montréal
Old 11-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #2683
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Had a plumber in about a month ago. “Fluffy,” the cat, usually hides when a stranger comes in, not so with the plumber. She couldn’t get enough of sniffing him all over, rolling over, showing her belly, etc. And yes, he was rank. Then he came back a few days later, happy cat, one cat's crack is....

The guys at my house were not plumbers, but they had p.c. I can understand when they have a tool belt around their waist the jeans may sag, but if not....
Old 11-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #2684
Recycles dryer sheets

The last several days I've been proof reading and recipe testing a new sous vide cookbook. DW is out of town visiting the grandson on his first birthday, so the dogs are keeping me company and making sure I get enough walking in.

BTW, W2R, congratulations on your retirement tomorrow.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:41 AM   #2685
Give me a forum ...

In the midst of preparing for a remodel, I've been ripping up carpet and chiseling up tack strips and tile. Saturday, this was interrupted by a garage door opener gone haywire.

Yesterday, due to good fortune, undoubetedly brought on by good, clean living, I watched the Dickies 500 at the TMS from a luxury box. Catered food and beer, and a restroom about fifteen feet away, sure makes Nascar a more enjoyable experience. (Not to mention the ZZ Top show before the race.)

Only downside: no HDTV, or kewl surround system, so concert was decidedly lo-fi.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 AM   #2686
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh, what I would give to be a fly on the wall when you try to explain what oceanographers do (did).
"Is that Jacque Cousteau thingy"

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #2687
Give me a forum ...

I checked on a pending transaction that will qualify me for my very first Admiral shares account with VG. It should go through tomorrow.
Still not in the big league , but climbing slowly out of the bush leagues.
If I consolidated all my other funds down to just a few, I could qualify for other Admiral shares, but not yet...still accumulating...still want that broad spectrum diversification...

I've been w*rking on this particular principal target for a very long time.
I ditched all my American funds last week, cashed the check, and did an immediate purchase request for just the right amount to get to $100K.
I skimmed a little more off the top than originally planned , but it will give me a better immediate cash cushion in the near term and the ability to go on a few low budget trips next year.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:25 AM   #2688
Recycles dryer sheets

I can't wait to here what W2R has to say today...
Old 11-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #2689
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
Go here...there's a retirement party goin' on

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post874233
Old 11-10-2009, 06:31 PM   #2690
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyduke View Post
Day one of ER:

This morning I opened my eyes at 4:10 AM. I could have gone back to sleep, but it occurred to me that this day is MINE. So, I just couldn't! I got up, made a pot of coffee, and soaked up the dark and quiet of the very early morning and the early chirping of birds. I listened to the news when it came on, and watched the sun rise while reading the message board on my laptop.

When rush hour was mostly over, at around 8:45 or so, I left for the gym. There I did a one hour workout, and took the time to learn how to use the rowing machine, which I have never used. Traffic on the way home was a breeze.

After showering and changing, and resting for a little while, I decided to go shopping for a "good for me" present. A few weeks ago in my favorite dress shop I found some slacks that are very comfortable and wash easily, so I went back to that store and bought two more pairs. The cashier gave me a 10% senior discount that I didn't know about. She told me it is only exists on Tuesdays. So, I felt like my day was progressing pretty well!

Then I strolled about the strip mall for a while and enjoyed browsing through various stores. It was sunny out so I wore my sunglasses and enjoyed the weather. I loved being able to move around and be more active during the day, instead of being chained to my cubicle.

When I got home, I was tired, and napped on and off for several hours. Then I watched the news, and then played on my Wii for a while.

It's a ROUGH LIFE...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 PM   #2691
Give me a forum ...

I've been busy w*rking the last few weeks. It's anathema to mention here in this forum, but the truth is I have been enjoying these current projects.

I don't know how long this upbeat feeling is going to last, but if you've got to do something for the money, liking the work makes the time goes faster.

Heh, heh, heh, I am just now looking at some newer RVs than I had in mind two weeks ago. Can't take it with you, heh, heh, heh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 PM   #2692
Give me a forum ...

Today I went for my annual eye exam. I have been having some slightly elevated pressure readings off and on and am diagnosed as a possible glaucoma candidate.
My eye pressure readings were still in the safe range and my field of vision tests were normal.
Doc wants to see me in 8 months vs 1 year to keep a better "eye" on the readings, just in case. I recently had a temporary sensation of slight pressure (like my eyelid was heavy) on the upper half of my left eye, so he is being extra cautious.
He advised me that oral medication to reduce pressure is the best course, but not yet.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:31 PM   #2693
Give me a forum ...

Today is a holiday (Remembrance Day) and I have no work commitments so I am actually taking a day off! I got up late because I stayed up till 2 am watching a movie on TCM; "Becket" with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole. It was made in 1964 and according to Robert Osborne, it was during this time that the two hard drinking actors became good friends. Apparently the entire movie shoot was fuelled by alcohol.....and yet it was a very serious film about the boundaries between church and state. Never having seen it before, I saw all sorts of gay themes in it!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #2694
Give me a forum ...

After a very hurtful post was directed at me last night (thankfully the post was deleted) I've decided my posts will be very few and far between on this forum.

But, I'll be around every once in a while to see how y'all are doing.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:54 PM   #2695
Give me a forum ...

Day Two of ER:

I really liked the way Day One (above) started, so I repeated that. This time I awakened at 5:42 AM, and enjoyed watching the sunrise, listening to the news, and browsing the forum while drinking my coffee. I left for the gym around 9:15 AM, and did a 75 minute workout this time. It wasn't much more strenuous! I just added a couple of "light cardio" type machines that look like fun to me. I did increase the weights 5 pounds on the weight machines, but only on the easy ones.

Got home from the gym at around 11:00 AM and the phone was ringing. Frank is having plumbers dig under his house to fix a pipe, and then they will be pumping sand under there, too, after it is fixed. He asked me to babysit the plumbers, since he had to go to work, so that is where I am and will be all afternoon. I don't really care - - he has internet, TV, and a really interesting looking book on the Warren Commission that I want to read sometime. The plumbers are working outside, so I don't have to do anything at all.

That should about take care of Day Two. So far, it is beyond me how anybody could possibly regret retiring. This must be the "honeymoon" because I am infinitely happy right now.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 11-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #2696
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
After a very hurtful post was directed at me last night (thankfully the post was deleted) I've decided my posts will be very few and far between on this forum.

But, I'll be around every once in a while to see how y'all are doing.
Wait a second! This can't be right. Surely, the wrong person is "taking a break." I would definitely miss your banter. Please rethink this position.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #2697
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had today off as a holiday for Veteran's Day. I got my car inspected, oil changed, tires rotated. Had some maintenance on me, too, in the form of a dental hygiene appointment. Took a long walk with my dog as the day is so nice.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #2698
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Today is a holiday (Remembrance Day) and I have no work commitments so I am actually taking a day off! I got up late because I stayed up till 2 am watching a movie on TCM; "Becket" with Richard Burton and Peter O'Toole. It was made in 1964 and according to Robert Osborne, it was during this time that the two hard drinking actors became good friends. Apparently the entire movie shoot was fuelled by alcohol.....and yet it was a very serious film about the boundaries between church and state. Never having seen it before, I saw all sorts of gay themes in it!

Boy does that movie bring back memories of a first date many years ago !
Old 11-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #2699
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Wait a second! This can't be right. Surely, the wrong person is "taking a break." I would definitely miss your banter. Please rethink this position.

I second this opinion !
Old 11-11-2009, 02:38 PM   #2700
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I third it!
Closed Thread