Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:47 PM   #2701
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, me too. Don't go away, bbbami! Don't give whoever it was the satisfaction. Put on those boots and do some stomping!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #2702
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
That should about take care of Day Two. So far, it is beyond me how anybody could possibly regret retiring. This must be the "honeymoon" because I am infinitely happy right now.
I'm in year three of the "honeymoon". It only gets better!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:16 PM   #2703
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
After a very hurtful post was directed at me last night (thankfully the post was deleted) I've decided my posts will be very few and far between on this forum.

But, I'll be around every once in a while to see how y'all are doing.
BBB, please don't let one person drive you away. I for one always enjoy your sense of humor and sassy attitude.

This place wouldn't be the same without you.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:33 PM   #2704
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
After a very hurtful post was directed at me last night (thankfully the post was deleted) I've decided my posts will be very few and far between on this forum.

But, I'll be around every once in a while to see how y'all are doing.
All right, that's it.
This bad news has got my Greek French and Irish going.

This TX lady is my absolute favorite sidekick here. There is no reason in the world, or universe for that matter, to take low blow pot shots at such a good soul.

Whoever you are, I sincerely hope you are long gone.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #2705
Give me a forum ...

Ok...nostrils are unflared...hooves flat on the ground...

Today, I am officially an Admiral shares account owner. This is my very first one and it is a true landmark for me.

I also talked to 3 VG reps regarding some Roth IRA transfer paperw*rk that got held up because I checked 1 too many boxes on the form for an in-kind transfer. One of the reps actually complimented me on my overall investing knowledge.
Now who could possibly be responsible for that ?
Thanks everyone.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:28 PM   #2706
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
One of the reps actually complimented me on my overall investing knowledge.
I would think virtually everyone on this board would know more than a Vanguard rep.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 PM   #2707

Don't be too sure, FD--there are still some folks who like those annuities, after all.

I have decided I have a sign up in front of my gate that says "stray animals please come here". A cat and a dog have shown up within the last 4 days, plus the sick kitten I brought home (4 weeks old) from my uncle's barn cat. I need to retire so I have time to take care of all these animals!

You retired people...with all this time on your hands!

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #2708
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I would think virtually everyone on this board would know more than a Vanguard rep.........
Well...I'm the first in my own line to admit I'm still on the learning curve. And I'm totally ok with that. I just need to learn how to fill out forms correctly.
My mind still seeks the straightest line between Point A and Point B. Not always the case with investing and portfolio management, eh?

Today is one of those days where I can just goof off. Now what shall I do....not a darn thing involving paperw*rk is sounding pretty good right now.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #2709
Recycles dryer sheets

Well, it's RAINING here. It's been RAINING for quite awhile. I think my neighbor Noah's been talking to God again, he's hammerin' on something and I've noticed alot of herons circling the ever rising lake behind the house. I'm glad the other side of the lake shore is just a little lower than ours. Sorry, neighbors... They say this will be continuing for awhile, but I've decided NOT to worry until I see a pair of elephants show up. Then I'll see, if I can book passage.
Went to 24hr wally-world late last night for e-supplies and manage to navigate through what must be their nightly restocking ordeal. Surviving the gauntlet, with a fresh supply of milk, eggs, go-go juice, etc. I'm sure we'll survive another few days. While I was out, filled the gas tank; and water blasted the undercarriage, when I hit one of those flooded areas at 50+MPH. Hard to see those after midnight. OH well, with all systems still working nominally I proceded with slightly more caution. Of course, loading/unloading the car in the downpour did tend to dampen the spirits, among other things. Let's just say overall it was a very chilling experience.
With that Chill in mind, I decided to extend our week after T-day at the Daytona Beach TS by 5nights in a resort in Sarasota, a couple blocks from Lido Beach. Got another amazing deal (via discovercard to hotels.com)... DW can spend some time with her Sis and I can some time with some warm white sand site seeing. OH life's a beach sometimes anyways - something to dream about while watching the rain and wind...
Old 11-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #2710
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BBB: who is the f****r in question that has offended you? All your friends here are raring to go kick some ass....!. Not that you need any help in that endeavour
Old 11-12-2009, 06:19 PM   #2711
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... I've decided my posts will be very few and far between...
Old 11-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #2712
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNtime View Post
Well, it's RAINING here. It's been RAINING for quite awhile...
Old 11-12-2009, 07:20 PM   #2713
Give me a forum ...

SO had to go to Naples today so I went along for some shopping . On the way back we stopped at Gulf gate ave. in Sarasota which is loaded with small pubs and restaurants . All in all a great day to be retired and having fun .
Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 PM   #2714
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I was thinking more of this one.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #2715
Recycles dryer sheets

OH NO: We just lost the Lynnhaven Pier. Hope the Seafood House is OK.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #2716
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I took a walk this morning and was feeling kinda energized. Really like being energized once in a while. Went to the grocery store since they were having a really good 1 day sale. I think all the seniors in town were there. There won't be anything left for the working stiffs later today. Stocked up on veggie soup supplies, blueberries and walnuts plus other good healthy foods. A sign at the store said .13 cents off per gallon/gas at their service station today...so I will stop there when doing my afternoon errands.

Made a pot of veggie soup yesterday - took some to MIL. I will have some more for my dinner later. I'm having a nice day.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:36 PM   #2717
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNtime View Post
OH NO: We just lost the Lynnhaven Pier. Hope the Seafood House is OK.
We're getting pummelled, but y'all are getting completely destroyed. Saw the runaway barge with the chlorine load down in Sandbridge (on TV). That's a worry. Hope you're on high ground. Went to the boardwalk in Ocean City yesterday. The beach is completely gone, underwater. 15-20' waves, as opposed to our normal 1-3' ones. Amazing.

Mostly we're just emptying the bucket from our leaky window. Six gallons so far. And we made some chicken soup.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #2718
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Mostly we're just emptying the bucket from our leaky window. Six gallons so far. And we made some chicken soup.
For the flavor? Bottled water would have been my choice, if tap was unavailable.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #2719
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
We're getting pummelled, but y'all are getting completely destroyed. Saw the runaway barge with the chlorine load down in Sandbridge (on TV). That's a worry. Hope you're on high ground. Went to the boardwalk in Ocean City yesterday. The beach is completely gone, underwater. 15-20' waves, as opposed to our normal 1-3' ones. Amazing.

OH Nooo....
Many here flooded, in shelters, and/or w/o power. We're high and dry thus far. Our colony pines in the yard are still dancing in the breeze -- one across the lake must have tried some 'break dancing' and is just laying around now waiting for the homeowners' association to cut it to pieces. Things are calm and some of the puddles have actually started to soak in. NOT sure where it's all going. The outerbanks of NC got schwaked. There's houses down there that aren't down there anymore. They say the dunes are gone and high tide promises more damage this evening and tomorrow.
The stuff they're doing with the barge, ie pumping on seawater ballast to keep it from floating away is interesting. Can't wait to see how they drag it away once the storm is gone and the tide drops. Perhaps it will become a permanent local attraction.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM   #2720
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Gave blood and rewarded myself with a small steak.

Weather: no rain here so far this month and none in the near future; temps above average.

If you ignore your roses long enough, neighbors will start trimming them.