Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #2721
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Stunning sunny day here in western Pa with temps in the 60's. I got up early to jog at the high school track. Then I got spiffed up to attend a Christmas designer's showcase house that was opened by the owners to benefit a garden club. Interesting but not to my taste. Big new tract house and lots of fake decorations no doubt made in China. Each room had a different interior designer and florist. Sipped some punch there and scarfed some cookies(the best part of the tour). My co-worker and I then headed off to canvass local furniture stores in search of a comfy chair for her mother-in-law who is coming home from the hospital next week.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2009, 06:24 PM   #2722
Moderator Emeritus

It's project time again! (still. Some more.)

Since we have guests coming (son flying in for Thanksgiving) I've been tasked with getting the TV working in the guest room. The olde set worked pretty well for green and blue, but not so much on red, and earlier this year mysteriously started getting snow instead of picture. So...

Off to get one of them flat TVs. Oh, and the old TV was hard to see while lying in bed, so could I maybe put it higher somehow? And maybe get a DVD player, because there just aren't many Beta tapes these days. (Yeah, yeah. Next I suppose you'll want me to replace the videodisc player?)

Oh, and the old set needs to be recycled, and there's some other stuff to go to the hazardous waste place. (Nasty stuff that had been living in the garage and under the sink in my mom's old house, dead florescent tubes from FIL's place, etc.)

And Wal-Mart's on the way, so could you pick up some grocery items only found there?

And that Costco shower curtain you put in the upstairs bath two months ago? I'd like one of those in the guest bath, too. (Eep! After two months? Nothing lasts that long at Costco!)

So, I got out of the house today. Funniest thing I saw were all the signs at the E-waste drop saying that items in the bins were NOT free! In at least three languages, no less. (There are deposits on electronics purchases, and the E-waste collectors get to claim the deposit to help fund their operation.) Nothing like a trip to the dump to start your day, before finishing a Saturday at WalMart and Costco.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #2723
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sunday is supposed to be my "no responsibilities and no exercise" day. But I have a rehearsal tonight, and I have to put together Christmas songs (I think I'll go with Let it Snow, Sleigh Ride, Have Yourself a Merry, and Chestnuts), plus start on the mouse-proof screening for the vents, have DW cut my hair, and neaten up the house.

Work, work, work.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #2724

What I did so far today

Roxanne and I settled a disagreement while listening to my latest vinyl buy Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes Wake-up Everybody

We finally straightened out the Soul Singers and their love life gone wrong scandals and who got scalded by hot grits controversy

Turned out that

Al Green was scalded by hot grits from a jealous girlfriend who then shot & killed herself
Sam Cooke - shot and killed at LA motel ( no grits involved)
Teddy Pendergrass - paralyzed after crashing his Rolls filled with ******* into a tree. (probably no grits involved)

Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 AM   #2725
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Teddy Pendergrass - paralyzed after crashing his Rolls filled with 3 hookers into a tree. (probably no grits involved)
Three Hookers while driving. Isn't that True Grit?
Old 11-15-2009, 10:19 AM   #2726
Give me a forum ...

Went for a spaghetti dinner fundraiser yesterday at local Legion. Had some brewskies and got a nice little buzz.
Waited until the end to fill my takeout order and brought home a nice big container full of spaghetti and a full loaf of unopened Italian bread. All for $6.

Today is just kick around the house, get some laundry done, eat leftover spaghetti.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #2727

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Went for a spaghetti dinner fundraiser yesterday at local Legion. Had some brewskies and got a nice little buzz.
Waited until the end to fill my takeout order and brought home a nice big container full of spaghetti and a full loaf of unopened Italian bread. All for $6.

Today is just kick around the house, get some laundry done, eat leftover spaghetti.
And dishing out dangerous chores to harmless people
Old 11-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #2728
Gone but not forgotten

Yesterday we attended a birthday party for my SO's two sons . It was held at his ex wife 's house . Is there anything less fun than being around your SO's ex ?
Old 11-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #2729
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Is there anything less fun than being around your SO's ex ?
Yes. Being around your ex's new love.

Ha
Old 11-17-2009, 09:29 PM   #2730
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The stuff they're doing with the barge, ie pumping on seawater ballast to keep it from floating away is interesting. Can't wait to see how they drag it away once the storm is gone and the tide drops. Perhaps it will become a permanent local attraction.
Well they've tried two tugs and they've tried three tugs. They say last two attempts moved it 100ft each and busted a tow line. Well try try try again with each high tide. Maybe in the morning with an extra ft of tide predicted, they'll get it gone/done...
The newsees suggested putting Christmas lights on it.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #2731
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It's project time again! (still. Some more.)

Since we have guests coming (son flying in for Thanksgiving) I've been tasked with getting the TV working in the guest room. The olde set worked pretty well for green and blue, but not so much on red, and earlier this year mysteriously started getting snow instead of picture. So...

Off to get one of them flat TVs. Oh, and the old TV was hard to see while lying in bed, so could I maybe put it higher somehow? And maybe get a DVD player, because there just aren't many Beta tapes these days. (Yeah, yeah. Next I suppose you'll want me to replace the videodisc player?)....
Your son is a lucky guy. If I wasn't doing the holidays at home myself, I'd try to get adopted into your family.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:01 AM   #2732

I am doing my insomniac thing today. I have been writing emails and posting since 3:30 AM. I thought that by 5 AM, the need to sleep would roll back in. No luck so far. It's going to be a day of me looking like a raccoon.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 AM   #2733

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
After a very hurtful post was directed at me last night (thankfully the post was deleted) I've decided my posts will be very few and far between on this forum.

But, I'll be around every once in a while to see how y'all are doing.
Aw, stick around. I too will miss the Texas 'tude.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:57 AM   #2734
Give me a forum ...

Back in the saddle again...I've been running errands and buying turkeys for next week and getting teeth cleaned...whew
How did I ever get all this stuff done pre-FIRE ?

Today is goof off, i.e. Chinese buffet day.

My schedule is crazy lately, so if you don't see me here...not to worry.
I'm going thru my annual "get it done before the snow flies" crunch.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 PM   #2735
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Your son is a lucky guy. If I wasn't doing the holidays at home myself, I'd try to get adopted into your family.
Heh. The flip side is that we keep threatening to get a condo in his home town, so he can drop by and take care of us.

Anyway, yesterday I found the studs (the wood ones, not the... Oh, forget it), mapped out the mounting for the TV bracket and a set of glass wall-mount shelves, and got the bracket and TV hung. Getting the layout right, to put the set at the desired height and get the mount securely attached is the 'hard' part. Part of the bracket fits on the back of the TV, and then the set just slides onto the wall mount. There's a bolt and wingnut to secure it once in place. for the big sets, this is definitely a two person job, but the smaller 32" set was easy for me to set up by myself.

Tomorrow the wall mount shelves and cable guide should arrive, and I'll pop those into place.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:54 PM   #2736
Give me a forum ...

Played golf today and it was just a little on the chilly side. The weather idiot man missed his forecast by 11 degrees. Predicted 62 as the high but only reached 51. And it never got out of the 40's when I was on the course. Needless to say, I didn't play well. Too cold for med's on the course today. Maybe that is why I didn't play well.

This afternoon I took the mutt on a walk out by the reservoir. He enjoys running loose out there and it is a pretty safe area to let him run free. You could tell he really enjoyed it. Zonked out on the sofa right now.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #2737

Three mile walk through wetlands near Bellevue WA. The attached is a view of the blueberry farm with Bellevue in the background. And for the animal lovers, a mallard duck in his element.

- Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0888e.jpg (185.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0893.jpg (600.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-21-2009, 05:52 PM   #2738
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Three mile walk through wetlands near Bellevue WA....
Reminds me that just last week I took a walk to explore some wetlands that are being restored. This area was paved over for 100+ years. I think the national park service is doing a reasonably good job of taking over the old army Presidio of San Francisco. Some of my neighbors might disagree? Has anyone seen the new Disney museum there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6550.jpg (487.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #2739
Give me a forum ...

Today...located the w*rk email of a former colleague in Orlando FL, to try to do a day visit with when I go to Tampa in January. I had to dig through pages of published techie papers to find her email address.
Yay DTIC!

<pregnant pause>

Oh, did I forget to mention I booked a 2BR beachfront condo for dirt cheap in N Redington Beach, right on the Gulf, the other day?
Silly me...
The trip is all set - JetBlue air, Hertz rental car, condo for lodging for 12 glorious days.
Now I just sit and wait for snow and develop just the right level of cabin fever to be a bona fide snowbird.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 PM   #2740
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Oh, did I forget to mention I booked a 2BR beachfront condo for dirt cheap in N Redington Beach, right on the Gulf, the other day?
Silly me...
The trip is all set - JetBlue air, Hertz rental car, condo for lodging for 12 glorious days.
Now I just sit and wait for snow and develop just the right level of cabin fever to be a bona fide snowbird.
I'll be getting snow on Thanksgiving morning so that probably means you'll be getting the same on friday or saturday. Have fun in Florida.
Closed Thread